AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a very simple question. I have bought Quest em400 stands for my JBL arc70 speakers and i read in the manual that i could fill the stands base for more stability. I want to do this because these are floor speakers and they need to be upper in the room. But, it's not very stable so I intended to screw the speakers to the stand with 3/4 inches screw and fill the stands with something.

I tought about sands... Is it the right choice? What kind of sands ? Do i have to put it in plastic bags first before filling the stands? If sands not good, what else ? Thanks for your advice .:confused:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I heard sand can be a pain due to the small grains. I'm going to try rice. Rice should work fine, imo. Of course, please don't cook it beforehand:)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Rice would be fine but there are better alternatives. Rice isn't that heavy so something with more of a mass would work better. Lead shot is something people use a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used sand in my stands. You can get from Homedepot for about $3 for a 50lb bag. Just make sure its playground sand. When I filled my stands, I filled a little a time while tapping the side of the stand with a wooden hammer to compact the sand. It worked great, but a little messy. Nothing a vacuum cleaner didn't fix:)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sand works and is cheaper than lead shot, but it can find it's way out of the stands easier than lead shot. If the stands have no small holes, sand is fine. Lead shot is, however, heavier and less likely to propagate out of the stand. Then again, sand is more environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've heard of people using kitty litter for this. It's cheap, dense, large grained, easy to clean up. No one has to know what you put in there. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
How about pea gravel? Or, concrete? The concrete would be more of a pain, but you would get 100% fill, it's cheap and very dense. You would also have to line the box.

This was good. I'm in process of making a stand for my center. All good suggestions. The cheaper the better.

DAVE

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James R. Geib
Additionally, you can get cat litter in 3 wonderful new scents! I prefer the potpoourri and spring garden scents myself.
You fancy lads and your scented litter. Real men like the cat stench.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally
You fancy lads and your scented litter. Real men like the cat stench.
Real men kick the cat to the curb and tell that woman you're getting a dog. I am a bit biased with my severe allergies to cats though:p .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your advice. Great idea the litter.... I just hope my cat will make the difference between a speaker stand and a litter box !!! hi hi !!

·
Registered
634 Posts
For the esoteric audio enthusiast, I've heard that using freeze-dried peas in an atmosphere of 1/2 helium and 1/2 nitrogen provides dramatic boosts in low frequency extension.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
James-You've got to quit reading over at ausiogon. I'll send you the bill for the beer I just sprayed ou t of my mouth laughing. Are those english peas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James R. Geib
For the esoteric audio enthusiast, I've heard that using freeze-dried peas in an atmosphere of 1/2 helium and 1/2 nitrogen provides dramatic boosts in low frequency extension.
True, but filling the stands with pure oxygen will give you airy highs:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.