AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a ReadyNas NV+ which is extremely slow and I am almost out of space. It is currently housing 4x 2TB WD Red Drives and I am looking to upgrade both my NAS and storage without spending too much money.

I would like to maybe have 4x 4TB Red Drives but I don't want to just ditch my current ones. I was thinking maybe make a media server and have the 4x 2TB's in one RAID5 and have another raid with maybe 2x 4TB's. Or maybe there is something I can do with a Synology NAS.

I do not have much experience with this so your help is really appreciated. Basically my NAS stores movies, shows, music, books and misc media (some of very high quality and high file sizes). I would like this NAS to have plex server and be used with an HTPC that I am in the process of building. I see people saying that a Synology NAS may not handle multi-device/room transcoding but I am unsure what they mean by that. I am not going to be changing the movie format / quality, maybe this is something that the roku does or that plex does behind the scenes?

I understand I am kind of a noob and like I said any help is really appreciated

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

The least expensive method would be to replace your existing drives with new drives. I assume that your raid would let you do that. Assuming it does it would take some time, you would remove one drive at a time, replace it with a larger drive then rebuild the array. Depending on how your array is set up the additional space wouldn't be available until you finish replacing / rebuilding the last drive. That would give you a lot more space but it wouldn't address your speed problem.

If you want to add additional hardware then you have many options, if you have an old system kicking around you can use it to build a FreeNAS System that a lot of people use however for the optimum configuration you would need a motherboard that supports Error Correcting Memory which can increase the cost significantly.

Then again Dell has a PowerEdge Server for under $300 which supports the ECC Memory and would make a great FreeNAS System. So System plus the cost of the drives.

If you want to add an additional / new NAS there are many options which you can research on this forum as well as websites like SmallNetBuilder.com which does a lot of reviews of Networking Equipment including NAS.

Personally I was building my own high-end RAID Systems with Hotswap Drives Bays and everything but they get very costly especially if you want to use something like a Windows Based Server Operating System (that can be over $1000 alone for the software license)

That said after a lot of reviews and some hesitation on my end I decided to give a Synology Disk Station a try and I have to say that so far I am loving it. Granted they are not "Cheap" but if you take in to consideration what it would cost to built something similar their pricing is very reasonable. I can promise you that a Synology NAS will be plenty fast enough for you as it can saturate a single port Gig Connection on my network without breaking a sweat.

So really this all depends on you, your needs, your technical ability, your desire to built something that may or may not be stable / reliable depending on the hardware / software you go with or just spend the money for something that is built for it. These is no "Right" answer, only what will work for you and your needs / requirements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476346

The least expensive method would be to replace your existing drives with new drives. I assume that your raid would let you do that. Assuming it does it would take some time, you would remove one drive at a time, replace it with a larger drive then rebuild the array. Depending on how your array is set up the additional space wouldn't be available until you finish replacing / rebuilding the last drive. That would give you a lot more space but it wouldn't address your speed problem.

If you want to add additional hardware then you have many options, if you have an old system kicking around you can use it to build a FreeNAS System that a lot of people use however for the optimum configuration you would need a motherboard that supports Error Correcting Memory which can increase the cost significantly.

Then again Dell has a PowerEdge Server for under $300 which supports the ECC Memory and would make a great FreeNAS System. So System plus the cost of the drives.

If you want to add an additional / new NAS there are many options which you can research on this forum as well as websites like SmallNetBuilder.com which does a lot of reviews of Networking Equipment including NAS.

Personally I was building my own high-end RAID Systems with Hotswap Drives Bays and everything but they get very costly especially if you want to use something like a Windows Based Server Operating System (that can be over $1000 alone for the software license)

That said after a lot of reviews and some hesitation on my end I decided to give a Synology Disk Station a try and I have to say that so far I am loving it. Granted they are not "Cheap" but if you take in to consideration what it would cost to built something similar their pricing is very reasonable. I can promise you that a Synology NAS will be plenty fast enough for you as it can saturate a single port Gig Connection on my network without breaking a sweat.

So really this all depends on you, your needs, your technical ability, your desire to built something that may or may not be stable / reliable depending on the hardware / software you go with or just spend the money for something that is built for it. These is no "Right" answer, only what will work for you and your needs / requirements.

I really appreciate the time, effort, and helpfulness of your response. If I do have a Windows Server OS would it be more suggested to build a NAS? At this point I am leaning towards saving up for the Synology DS412+ but what would I do with my existing NAS not to mention the 2TB WD Red Drives? The NAS is not a big deal to toss but the drives are very good just not enough space. If I were to sell it on Ebay or something the shipping weight on them and fees would come out to minimal amount of money and I dont think there is a big demand on craigslist. Is there a way to implement them in a raid with different sized drives or is that not suggested?

·
Registered
6,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476703

Is there a way to implement them in a raid with different sized drives or is that not suggested?
I'm far from a RAID expert- but as far as I know- other than JBOD any other conventional RAID configuration will base it's member size off the smallest disk drive in the array- so if you build a new array with 4TB disks and then added your old 2TB drives, it would see the new 4TB disks as 2TB size.

When I went from four 2TB disks to four 4TB drives in my array (NAS4Free) I eventually reused the old 2TB drives in different computers around the house as upgrades.

If I was in your shoes- I would do as funhouse69 suggested- "replace your existing (2TB) drives with new (4TB) drives."

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476703

I really appreciate the time, effort, and helpfulness of your response. If I do have a Windows Server OS would it be more suggested to build a NAS? At this point I am leaning towards saving up for the Synology DS412+ but what would I do with my existing NAS not to mention the 2TB WD Red Drives? The NAS is not a big deal to toss but the drives are very good just not enough space. If I were to sell it on Ebay or something the shipping weight on them and fees would come out to minimal amount of money and I dont think there is a big demand on craigslist. Is there a way to implement them in a raid with different sized drives or is that not suggested?
No problem, I am more than willing to help someone when I can and since I've been there / done that I usually can point someone in the right direction.

One mans trash is another mans treasure, if worst comes to worst put it on Craig's list for free but try you can certainly try and sell it as well. I don't know what they would fetch these days but usually you can get something. You never know someone might have one that has a hardware issue and just need it for parts or a spare / backup.

As for the drives you have now in your existing RAID and be reused somewhere else or even in another NAS but you will loose all of your data so you will want to get a new NAS or Server set up first, copy all of that data off then do whatever you want with those drives.

I am not sure I understand what you were asking when you mentioned you have a Server OS already but again you need to decide what direction you want to go in. I am finding that the NAS Model works very well for me. I use mine to store all of my documents as well as all of my Media. I got the Synology DS1813+ and have it loaded with 4TB Drives. I will eventually get the DX513 Expansion Chassis when I get close to filling up the space.

You "Can" use different size drives in some RAID / NAS Systems, the Synology has what they call SHR and SHR2 which is "Synology Hybrid RAID" and it will allow you to use different sized drives and get to use most of the space of each of them and still have a level of redundancy. Go to their website and play around with their configuration page, it is pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476762

I'm far from a RAID expert- but as far as I know- other than JBOD any other conventional RAID configuration will base it's member size off the smallest disk drive in the array- so if you build a new array with 4TB disks and then added your old 2TB drives, it would see the new 4TB disks as 2TB size.

When I went from four 2TB disks to four 4TB drives in my array (NAS4Free) I eventually reused the old 2TB drives in different computers around the house as upgrades.

If I was in your shoes- I would do as funhouse69 suggested- "replace your existing (2TB) drives with new (4TB) drives."
in an actual "RAID" that is true for the most part which is what I kind of touched on in my first e-mail. Some companies have different implementations of RAID like I mentioned in my second post that will allow the mixing and matching of drives. A DROBO and Synology are great examples of ones that do this. I believe that FreeNAS also does allow this as well but don't ask me how the heck they do it =)

·
Registered
6,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476778

in an actual "RAID" that is true for the most part which is what I kind of touched on in my first e-mail. Some companies have different implementations of RAID like I mentioned in my second post that will allow the mixing and matching of drives. A DROBO and Synology are great examples of ones that do this. I believe that FreeNAS also does allow this as well but don't ask me how the heck they do it =)
Yeah, it's interesting- but there must be limits and loss of efficiency with a mismatched set?

If I have a four drive 1TB conventional RAID 5 array- that gives me about 3TB of storage (3 disks for storage 1 disk for parity and less 10% overhead). Now suppose one of the 1TB members fails- I just pop another 1TB drive in and the array rebuilds with no loss of data.

Now try the above four disk setup with three 1TB drives and one 4TB drive. How much storage would you end up with in one of the non-conventional systems and what would happen to your data if the 4TB drive fails?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24476856

Yeah, it's interesting- but there must be limits and loss of efficiency with a mismatched set?

If I have a four drive 1TB conventional RAID 5 array- that gives me about 3TB of storage (3 disks for storage 1 disk for parity and less 10% overhead). Now suppose one of the 1TB members fails- I just pop another 1TB drive in and the array rebuilds with no loss of data.

Now try the above four disk setup with three 1TB drives and one 4TB drive. How much storage would you end up with in one of the non-conventional systems and what would happen to your data if the 4TB drive fails?
The way it works with a Synology Hybrid RAID you have say Three 2TB Drives in an SHR1 you get about 4TB of usable storage. If you add a single 4TB to the mix you will get a total of 6TB of usable space but if you add a second 4TB Drive you will get a total of 10TB. Check out the attached images to see how it works. It is kind of cool and they perform very well. I personally always match my drives but for some this is a great solution.

This also shows it compared to a normal "RAID" as well.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24477617

The way it works with a Synology Hybrid RAID you have say Three 2TB Drives in an SHR1 you get about 4TB of usable storage. If you add a single 4TB to the mix you will get a total of 6TB of usable space but if you add a second 4TB Drive you will get a total of 10TB. Check out the attached images to see how it works. It is kind of cool and they perform very well. I personally always match my drives but for some this is a great solution.

This also shows it compared to a normal "RAID" as well.

Thanks.... interesting system.

It looks like there's no benefit from the Synology Hybrid RAID on my hypothetical 3x1TB plus 1x4TB drive setup over conventional RAID5:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24478635

Thanks.... interesting system.

It looks like there's no benefit from the Synology Hybrid RAID on my hypothetical 3x1TB plus 1x4TB drive setup over conventional RAID5:
Only when you add more than one drive of another / lager size like my example above. With only 1 - 4TB Drive you only get the additional 2TB but if you add two you get 6TB which you can't do with a standard RAID 5 Set up. With a Standard RAID 5 (depending on the controller or software) if you have a larger drive you can use the extra space to create a separate Volume or replace all of the drives with larger ones to expand the original volume but that takes time as you have to remove one, rebuild then move on to the next. 

·
Registered
6,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69  /t/1521320/filled-all-4-nas-hdd-slots-but-need-more-space-new-nas-or-media-server#post_24480769

Only when you add more than one drive of another / lager size like my example above. With only 1 - 4TB Drive you only get the additional 2TB but if you add two you get 6TB which you can't do with a standard RAID 5 Set up. With a Standard RAID 5 (depending on the controller or software) if you have a larger drive you can use the extra space to create a separate Volume or replace all of the drives with larger ones to expand the original volume but that takes time as you have to remove one, rebuild then move on to the next. 
I'd like to see the parity breakdown for that config (4x2TB plus 2x4TB)....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

looks like it spreads it across all of the discs which is why you get the full amount of the second different drive. Again something I probably wouldn't do but who knows now that the 5TB Drives are starting to ship and the 6TB Drives are ship in enterprise versions I might give it a shot at some point but would more than likely get the Expansion Chassis and create another RAID and copy everything over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts