AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another post going in the General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms thread and the room is evolving. To contend with the WAF, I'm going to go with a pair of Def Tech UIW in-walls for the rear surround duties. They look like they're open back and use the stud void as the "cabinet." The walls I'm planning this for will both have a 1/2 cubic foot of internal area (not a very large void), because they are planned to be over door ways. North section view in the first post of the thread, over the entry to kitchen and door to 1/2 bath.

The question: Would you fill the void with batting, or leave it hollow? Any other suggestions?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345167

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndwgz
I have another post going in the General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms thread and the room is evolving. To contend with the WAF, I'm going to go with a pair of Def Tech UIW in-walls for the rear surround duties. They look like they're open back and use the stud void as the "cabinet." The walls I'm planning this for will both have a 1/2 cubic foot of internal area (not a very large void), because they are planned to be over door ways. North section view in the first post of the thread, over the entry to kitchen and door to 1/2 bath.

The question: Would you fill the void with batting, or leave it hollow? Any other suggestions?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345167
I would leave it "open", as is. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with DT's speakers, but I've had BIC in-walls for over a decade (V38's...or something..), and I've been pleased with their performance since day one.

As far as "over doorways"....I'm actually surprised you don't have a solid header....but... it's been 35yrs since I framed houses as a teen and later, college student, lol, so I'm guessing these doorways are framed like windows (and probably non-load bearing).

Bottom line; leave it open...as you can always (usually very easy) remove them and add some insulation of you have negative results. I would also think the maker would specify such detail in their specs/installation instructions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.