AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the HTPC setting for film-based dvd also work for video-based DVD? Do we have to do anything when watching video-based DVD to get the best PQ possible? Is there anything like auto film-video detection in htpc world?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercop
Would the HTPC setting for film-based dvd also work for video-based DVD?
Most likely not, the setting for film (ie Weave), would comb horribly with video content.

Quote:
Do we have to do anything when watching video-based DVD to get the best PQ possible?
You need to engage/enable some sort of good deinterlacing.

Quote:
Is there anything like auto film-video detection in htpc world?
There are really only two options, Dscaler 4, which only works for uncompressed sources (ie video input or PDI), and nVidia's so called "PureVideo". If you're talking playing DVDs, "PureVideo" is really the only way to go*

*the other option is a Sigma Xcard, PMS PDI capture card, and Dscaler 4.

-edit

Almost forgot one, in addition you can use a Sigma Xcard with a Holo3DGraph.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks somuch Stranger89. "You need to engage/enable some sort of good deinterlacing." Can you elaborate this of how to do it exactly?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Film based movies contains fields from the same instant in time. Video based movies contain fields that are 1/60 sec apart for NTSC footage. You can easily recreate the progressive frames for film based material without any quality loss. Video based footage has to be deinterlaced with at least some quality loss in order to generate the progressive frames.

The best deinterlacing I have seen is TomsMoComp from ffdshow with the Descaler 5 decoder. Nvidia’s is good but I like TomsMoComp better.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
The best deinterlacing I have seen is TomsMoComp from ffdshow with the Descaler 5 decoder. Nvidia’s is good but I like TomsMoComp better.
Personally, I think nVidia's is better. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.