AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture quality of the "newer" movies are very sharp and colorful (eg. Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, Red Planet, etc.) ... and that's good.

However, IMO some of the older movies are more "film-like", such as the Godfather and the Sound of Music. These are not as sharp, but I find them just as satisfying.

And for some of these older movies, they didn't make the movie with television in mind. Thus, a movie like the Sound of Music is really meant for the wide-screen.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Steve I have mastered my HDTV controls to keep the picture quite clear even if it's from a vcr. I just watched the 1954 movie THEM from a video source. Effectively using contrast, sharpness, blackness cotrols I have eliminated a 240 line format into a sharp stretched picture

with absolutley no scanning lines I use the sets line doubler to the max. Results almost amazing picture made from a Vhs format not DVD.

BTW I enjoyed the monster movie for my own Halloween night movie. Last night I had my favorite movie I was once a part of before my accident. Back some 20 plus years I was really into The Rocky Horror Picture Show midnight movie crowd. Only male character I woudn't play was Frank N. Furter all the rest I did, what a ball I miss it. Learn to master the controls for your own taste

it's worth it IMHO :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I, for one find the fifth element a thousand times more film-like then the sound of music. I never had the courage to see it so far. It has very huuuge and laaarge EE. It ruined the transfer (not so surprising as it's a THX dvd (if I remember correctly.;))

I just checked my copy of when the worlds collide...same thing.

The picture is so "digital", artificial with big EE too.Guys at paramount should be ashamed of this transfer (Did they take a look at ben-hur or north by north-west?!).

On the other hand, old flicks in technicolor had a "cachet".I agree with that. They had so gorgeous colors...but this is another thing.

BTW, I was surprised to see that when worlds collide was 1.33! Does anyone confirm this is its original format, or did they do the same s..t they did to the war of the worlds?

·
Registered
135 Posts
"...BTW, I was surprised to see that when worlds collide was 1.33! Does anyone confirm this is its original format, or did they do the same s..t they did to the war of the worlds?"

...ahh... When Worlds Collide came out in 1951 - one year before the introduction of Cinerama, and two years before the first CinemaScope movie was released - so, yes, it was filmed with the "Academy aperture" 1.37:1 (which, as you undoubtedly know, is so close to 1.33:1 as makes no difference at all)...

...The War Of The Worlds was released in 1953 and it, too, was filmed with a 1.37:1 AR...

BOTH movies were released by PARAMOUNT - that company never jumped on the CinemaScope bandwagon, but instead came out with its proprietary Vistavision widescreen system - the first title using this process that they released, in December 1953, was White Christmas.

...so, nobody did any 's..t', both DVDs show the films in their correct, original AR (but... TWOTW actually featured a sorta kinda STEREO soundtrack - why they left that off the DVD I don't know, especially since this soundtrack IS featured on the LD that Paramount released some years ago...)...

. . . :eek: . . .

·
Registered
535 Posts
European,

I'm impressed and Thanks for the info.

I thought I had read on war of the worlds that it had been "reformated to fit the screen", but if it's 1.37 to 1.33, then I could live with that.

Anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Frank,

Hey my friend, I'm not a she.........wait a minute.

......Well, I checked, I can confirm I'm not.

:D :D :D :D :D

Frank, please, stop pausing that very sequence of basic instinct.

That makes you imagining bizarre things. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.