Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Thought I'd put this in this forum because it's a higher end question that some of you guys are sure to know. I own a mitsubishi X70UX and would like to know A. What contrast enhancing filter I should use and B where can I get it. I've seen some floating around but haven't gotten to inteo the filters myself yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
AJ,

Not related to the filter question, but, I had the older brother of the X70UX, the X70U. It was a great little LCD light cannon. My only problem was, I had a bright blue lit pixel in the center of my screen. NOT GOOD! Hope yours is okay.

Ahh, just a little reminiscing about the good old days...

Good luck to you!

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The X70U and X70UX are identical machines. Mitsubishi just had a problem with the lamp supplier so when they changed supliers they changed part numbers. I agree, I love it except for black levels could be better (obviously). I have 4 dead pixels and all are very muted blue and not noticable unless I get off my @$$ and look for them on a black screen. Sorry to hear of your problems, Should have had Mitsubishi take care of it they are awesome with thngs like bad pixels.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Trust me, I tried! It started out as the best experience (I even wrote a letter to the boss about my total satisfaction), but ended up as a nightmare scenario (lies, mess-ups, etc.). I gave up. It's a shame because I REALLY liked the PJ. Get this, it was purchased on a recommendation! A friend of mine has the UX and loves it too. Unfortunately, the experience was so bad that I won't ever own another Mitsu PJ :( .

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder who you were dealing with over there. As a dealer they are one of the best we have to deal with. Well they dug their own grave with you , far be it of me to speak up for them without knowing the situation. Ok anyone going to tackle my question????

·
Registered
916 Posts
AJ,

After responding to your post, I got those ugly old feelings of betrayal from Mitsu all over again. So what did I do next? I dug up the thread I originally posted on the subject. Here it is, for your enjoyment:

Mitsubishi Customer Service = AWFUL!

I still stand by my position that the PJ is a fine piece. I just hope, for the sake of yourself and others who own them, that the customer service issues are being handled in a more favorable way to the consumer.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we are the largest Mitsubishi dealer in the US (along with a few others :) ) and the top executives at Mitsu all like me very much so I doubt I would have problems (had mine for 2 years). I will tread the thread and might even let some Mitsubishi guys know about it as well.

Back to filters.. Help anyone...Bueller? Bueller? Just tell me what filter would work best. I'm thinking of some type of f-stop filter and a blue /green CCR filter bt I don't want to fumble in the dark here and I really need to know where I could get these on-line.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
What kind of bulb does it have? Usually the filter choice is related to the spectral output of the bulb more than the projector. UHP bulbs, for example are red deficient and a FL-D would be a starting point.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok yes it is red deficient and yes it is a UHP. FL-D would be found where and exactly what type of filter is it? THANK YOU for answering!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If the projector runs out of red first then you may be able to use a CCR filter to increase the contrast. Boost the gains for R, G, and B to the max and use the CCR filter to bring the G and B ouput back in line with R. This will likely require some experimentation to find the proper CCR filter. You may want to start with a CC20R or CC30R filter.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you John and Scott. Scott what is the difference between the 20R and the 30R? I take it these filters are to block out Blue/Green correct?

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I saw some screen shots on a lower quality CS1 with and without the CC30R and it impressed the *&% out of me

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The hoya monocoated has a light efficiency of around 97% the HMC is about 99%. My subjective impression is that it drops light output (the monocoated-everyone seems to be out of the HMC) more than the 97% would indicate.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems that a local guy in town has the Hoya HMC in stock (so he said 77mm because my Mitsu has a 72.5mm lens) any screen shots BEFORE AND AFTER to be found on here? I looked but haven't been able to find.

and after walking back and taking a look at the mitsubishi X80 I can say that Mitsubishi has no clue of there own lens sizes...it's a 55mm lens.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
If the projector runs out of red first then you may be able to use a CCR filter to increase the contrast. Boost the gains for R, G, and B to the max and use the CCR filter to bring the G and B ouput back in line with R. This will likely require some experimentation to find the proper CCR filter. You may want to start with a CC20R or CC30R filter.

CC and ND filters are also available here. www.enhancedht.com

For some projectors you can get them in a custom made-to -fit mount, for others you can just buy the plain filter.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went out and did the Hoya FL-Day filter with my Mitsubishi X70UX and I must say it was the best $15.00 I have ever spent (The HMC version). I will take a few before and after pictures when my wife gets back from vacation with my digital camera so you can share in my good fortune.

Initial thoughts.....

Color improvement...holy cow was I really watching it the old way and liking the image? Need to have a cat scan done.

Black improvement.... Did improve it. Not as drastic as colors but I'm happy.

Screen door improvement.... This was my biggest surprise. softened the picture quite a bit. Major improvement. More film like image.

All for $15.00 Holy #$%^ . Thank you all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.