AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've owned a Denon AVR-1706 for awhile that has been merely satisfactory (got a good deal on a refurb). However, as I've been upgrading and adding new stuff to my setup, I'm running out of inputs (on my TV and my receiver). I have a 58" Panny with only 2 HDMI's. I already need a 3rd HDMI input. The Denon only has 2 opticals (no HDMI's), I already need 4, or the ability to plug some HDMI's into the receiver instead. So it looks like a new receiver with HDMI switching could help me.

Under 1000 is my budget. Obviously, lower is better, but I would like some flexibility with inputs.

I've been looking through this forum like crazy the last few days (I really appreciate the thought and effort many of you put in here), and I'm close to a decision. I just have some last questions that need answering.

Some quick facts:

- My Moto HD DVR cable box is going to be connected directly to TV with optical to AVR to avoid handshake problems.

- All the devices I intend to hook up to the AVR (Panny Blu-Ray, Oppo DVD (for media compatibility), Vudu box, possibly PS3 or Xbox) either upscale themselves or are already in HD, so upscaling is NOT important to me. In fact, I do not want my HD signals re-processed by the AVR. I just want them passed through the switch. The last thing I want is my picture quality decreased because of some crappy scaling technology.

- Most important thing is # of inputs and input flexibility. Power is secondary. I realize they seem to go together (more expensive/powerful units have more inputs/flexibility.)

Basically I am between the HK 254/354 OR the Denon 2309/2809 units. Satisfaction seems spotty with Onykos - people either love or hate. I'm not familiar with Marantz or Yamaha.

1. I was initially thinking about the HK 254/354 because of the rave reviews I've seen for years on here in regard to sound quality. However, reading through those threads, they seem to have too many bugs and quirks with HDMI switching. Am I correct that the HK units process ALL video? It does not pass anything through?

2. On the Denon - looking through the 2309 thread, it seems like a pretty solid unit. I would expect the 2809 to be similar. I'm leaning towards the 2809 for the extra "naming" flexibility for sources. This also seems like a pretty future-proof receiver. Both of these receivers WILL pass through the HDMI's, right? They don't process/upscale digital sources unless I want?

3. I'm leaning towards the Denon just because it seems more solid and doesn't process the video from HDMI sources. Is there anything about these Denons that sounds like a bad fit with what I'm trying to accomplish?

I will sincerely appreciate any comments and advice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
How about a $65 solution? buy.com currently has a 3-to-1 HDMI switch that is controlled with a remote control for $15. Pair that with a decent low-end Harmony Remote for $50, and your needs are met.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts