AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, tomorrow is the day I finally purchase everything. I have narrowed it down to a few choices and I just want some opinions. I have listened to the pieces that I could find and listen to.

My setup is a 10x16 room in an apartment. I guess I am going to do a 3.0 with the possibility to upgrade to a 5.1 eventually. I have a wall mounted samsung t4254, an HD DirecTV box, and an HD-A2 HD-DVD player. I watch 90% movies and 10% TV. Both of my HD sources go straight to the TV via HDMI so I figured I don't need any video capabilities out of my reciever. I am not currently concerned with HDMI 1.3 with my current budget.

So the options:

Recievers

H/K 144(279)

Pioneer 816(269)

Onkyo 504(159)

SBS-01 and SCS-01 and stands (464)

2 R50's w/ CSi3 center(320)

Also 2 Primus 250's and a C25 are a possibiltiy if I can find them

Obviously money is a factor but all of these are in my price range. As most you are not willing to give your opinion because "everyone likes different speakers" maybe just give ideas as to what I may or may not like about a certain setup.

Thank you for any help you can give

·
Registered
379 Posts
Since you watch mostly movies (mostly from dvd's?), I would look at getting the best center channel and sub woofer you can find. Your main fronts and rear surrounds in this case would be mostly "affects" speakers and don't need to be quite as good.

But, if you want to listen to music, too, then you should also look for good lft/rt mains. Your rear surrounds should be the least important speakers for your setup if you are on a budget.

Can't really help you on your choice of receivers as I have only used a Yamaha.

good luck, Frank

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think you and I are in a similar boat, but I am going to do a lot of gaming with whatever I buy, and I am trying to start with a 5.1 setup.

Right now I am looking at the pioneer 816 as it seems to have the most features of any lower budget receiver I can find.

Then I am thinking of getting two pairs of R150's which will cost about $100 for all of them. Still mostly undecided about what I am going to do for a sub and center speaker though.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
"I would look at getting the best center channel and sub woofer you can find. Your main fronts and rear surrounds in this case would be mostly "affects" speakers and don't need to be quite as good. "

Where do you people come up with this nonsense? From those idiotic advertising vehicles called "magazines" that think monopolar and direct radiating mean the same thing?

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan /forum/post/0

"I would look at getting the best center channel and sub woofer you can find. Your main fronts and rear surrounds in this case would be mostly "affects" speakers and don't need to be quite as good. "

Where do you people come up with this nonsense? From those idiotic advertising vehicles called "magazines" that think monopolar and direct radiating mean the same thing?

Someone is having a bad day. I'm curious about who "you people" are.

But that wasn't especially good advice. While you can cut corners (or do without) the back 2, not a good idea for the front left and right.

You might want to think and read a little more before you jump.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Buzzy----I'm having a good day. But as the Mother Superior said I'm a plain spoken working man who calls a spade a spade.

"You people" refers to those who don't think like I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts