AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So have my basement built out, and wired it for both projector and flat panel TV. Room is 18 long by 17' wide, open to the back. Light can be highly controlled (2 small windows at the very back of the total room, so 40' away).

Projector mount would be located ~16-17' from the main wall. Walls are painted Benjamin Moore - Whale Grey, ceiling is white. Have 6 small potlights on the side bulkheads (3 and 3), and then 12 in the main room, separately controllable and dimmable.

As it is a basement, it can be pretty pitch dark for movies. But I imagine much of the time the viewing will be in a dimly lit, or lit room with folks over entertaining.

The rendering below shows a 125" screen vs an 85" LCD.

I was leaning towards an Epson 5050/5040 as the main projector, haven't decided on the screen, but likely an EluneVision 16:9 Nano-Edge 4K ALR, screens aren't easy to come by in Canada.

Question is, if potlights will be on much of the time, would a projector simply not be recommended as colours/PQ will be too washed out?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
So have my basement built out, and wired it for both projector and flat panel TV. Room is 18 long by 17' wide, open to the back. Light can be highly controlled (2 small windows at the very back of the total room, so 40' away).

Projector mount would be located ~16-17' from the main wall. Walls are painted Benjamin Moore - Whale Grey, ceiling is white. Have 6 small potlights on the side bulkheads (3 and 3), and then 12 in the main room, separately controllable and dimmable.

As it is a basement, it can be pretty pitch dark for movies. But I imagine much of the time the viewing will be in a dimly lit, or lit room with folks over entertaining.

The rendering below shows a 125" screen vs an 85" LCD.

I was leaning towards an Epson 5050/5040 as the main projector, haven't decided on the screen, but likely an EluneVision 16:9 Nano-Edge 4K ALR, screens aren't easy to come by in Canada.

Question is, if potlights will be on much of the time, would a projector simply not be recommended as colours/PQ will be too washed out?

View attachment 3061482
What about the fireplace, can it be turned off?

What is the seating distance?

Parts of the image that are not bright will be washed out.

First treat the room to reduce reflections:

Don't let any direct light hit the screen.
Dim the light in the seating area.

Blackout shades for the two windows.

For ALR screen, get the Cinegrey 5D. It's also available in fabric if a wooden frame can be built. Or Carl's ALR.
Another option is paints, and the entire wall can be painted, or a white screen.

From China Xy Screens 0.8 gain is another option.

Samples are a good idea.

For 125", maybe move the mount back to 18' (lens to screen).

For projector, what kind of media will be used % wise? Sports, movies, tv, games.

What % will there be with lights out vs. ambient light?

What is the source?
Where are you getting the 5040UB?

Example with ambient light and an 150" white screen:

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
610 Posts
Walls are painted Benjamin Moore - Whale Grey, ceiling is white.

Have 6 small potlights on the side bulkheads (3 and 3), and then 12 in the main room, separately controllable and dimmable.

Question is, if potlights will be on much of the time, would a projector simply not be recommended as colours/PQ will be too washed out?]
Or both.

I once had a motorized screen in front of my 55” $2000 Sony tv and loved it for a multi-purpose room. Tv for day and a motorized 120” (now a 135”) for movie time. Just don’t get fancy with the screen, I cut mine in the ceiling to be cool and wished later it was one of them “hang from a chain” type. I never use it anymore because I upgraded past both of which I just described, now my $700 screen is for the next homeowner. Oh, And get a tab tension.

White ceiling is not the end of the world but it really does suck. So, if you don’t want to paint it then black velvet or even black felt can be used with some thumb tacks to do at least the first foot if not two feet in front of the screen on the ceiling, that would “”REALLY”” help. $20 worth of fabric at JoAnne fabrics is worth a try.

As far as lights, if your side pods do not hit the screen directly then you should be fine by just dimming to your discretion, you can and I would use just them for lighting during tv time though, don’t use the center room lights.... If that’s how I understand your lights setup. BTW - I sometimes leave my back lights on and it’s fine for tv watching, even with the shades open too.... for watching tv.... not movie time, movie time you will want it dark.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Projectors just don't work very well with ambient light. Ambient light in a light reflective room is even worse. If you have never used a projector before it's hard to visualize what your working with. People do use them all the time in environments you describe and are very happy with them so it's impossible to know what your tolerance is for a washed out picture. I would edge towards the TV but I may be picker then you as size does matter a lot and is the one and only true advantage the projector has.

Reactions: ng4ever

·
Registered
430 Posts
Projectors just don't work very well with ambient light. Ambient light in a light reflective room is even worse. If you have never used a projector before it's hard to visualize what your working with. People do use them all the time in environments you describe and are very happy with them so it's impossible to know what your tolerance is for a washed out picture. I would edge towards the TV but I may be picker then you as size does matter a lot and is the one and only true advantage the projector has.
Do you think TVs will ever get as large as projector screens ?

I don't care about how you would have to get the TV home or delivered.

Just curious.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
There all ready are TV's that big. Have you ever seen active billboards along our highways. Do I think they will get into our homes, absolutely once cost and performance get in line, but I doubt I will live that long.

·
Registered
430 Posts
There all ready are TV's that big. Have you ever seen active billboards along our highways. Do I think they will get into our homes, absolutely once cost and performance get in line, but I doubt I will live that long.
Yes I have seen those.

Curious question we all know most projectors have lamps how long does a average or really good tv normally last ?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is this really a question?

This is the comparison with black bars for films.
What about the fireplace, can it be turned off?

What is the seating distance?

Parts of the image that are not bright will be washed out.

First treat the room to reduce reflections:

Don't let any direct light hit the screen.
Dim the light in the seating area.

Blackout shades for the two windows.

For ALR screen, get the Cinegrey 5D. It's also available in fabric if a wooden frame can be built. Or Carl's ALR.
Another option is paints, and the entire wall can be painted, or a white screen.

From China Xy Screens 0.8 gain is another option.

Samples are a good idea.

For 125", maybe move the mount back to 18' (lens to screen).

For projector, what kind of media will be used % wise? Sports, movies, tv, games.

What % will there be with lights out vs. ambient light?

What is the source?
Where are you getting the 5040UB?

Example with ambient light and an 150" white screen:

Kind of best case circumstances with that bright content. I'd like if people did these ambient light tests with darker material too to give the prospective owners a fair opinion on how they fair as not everything we watch is bright football matche.s

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, extremely helpful as always.

To answer some of the questions:

• Projector mount would be ~17 feet (it's fixed as I dropped the cabling and put extra support there)
  • Fireplace wall isn't in yet, but yes it can be turned off. I'm thinking of having the wall unit painted deep space grey which has a pretty low LVR
  • Can't paint the ceiling or any portion of it, or put velvet, etc (WAF)
  • easy to put black out shades on the windows
  • Viewing would be say 25% sports (mostly hockey, but also basketball/football), 50% TV, rest movies (possible that it also be set up as a gaming projector, but we have an other room/TV for that)
  • I am heavily leaning towards the 5040ub or 5050ub (if I can get it on a refurb'd price)
  • Seating is ~15 feet from screen/wall

Leaning towards an 85" LCD after this discussion. Maybe something like the Sony 900H instead of say a Q90T ($3.2k vs $4.6k before tax up here). Then ultimately add a projector pull down screen down the line just for movies.

Though I was hoping only a projector would be doable, love the thought of using a 125" screen for everything, but the lights would be on much of the time and possibly even the pot lights in the "main" ceiling as well as it would be more of a family room type setting. I know, personally, if I'm staring at a washed out picture it would drive me crazy. The rest of my family wouldn't care.

If I went with a pull down screen, and the 5040 or 5050, I would llkely go around 135" or so. Anything folks recommend for a pull down sceen, that projector, this environment if I was to go with a dual setup?

This is the back of the room where windows are (all 3 windows can have blinds, even right now with this light the HT dedicated side is very, very dark.

And the room itself, just side lights on, but you can see the front 3 potlights (there are 12 in total).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 75” and 120”. Living room is open to the kitchen and there is a large window and sliding door on the side of room. I have pot lights in living room and several lights in the kitchen.

I don’t always need the projector so if everything is open or all lights are on I’ll use the tv during the day and then projector later in the day. Unless I just want to watch sports or movie I’ll close the blinds.

Even with the light coming in and lights on, the Projector will look nice unless there are a bunch of dark black scenes. All color scenes show up nicely still. The projector is 13’ away and is 5,000 lumens. Most of the time just the lights in the kitchen will be in, not the pot lights directly in front of screen. That picture with screen is worst case scenario where all lights are on including pot lots directly in front. Just depends on the exact room and equipment on how it will turn out. I had a 2,500 lumen at my last place and it did not have the same quality with lights on. So, higher lumens would be a must in areas that have high or ambient lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks, extremely helpful as always.

To answer some of the questions:

• Projector mount would be ~17 feet (it's fixed as I dropped the cabling and put extra support there)
  • Fireplace wall isn't in yet, but yes it can be turned off. I'm thinking of having the wall unit painted deep space grey which has a pretty low LVR
  • Can't paint the ceiling or any portion of it, or put velvet, etc (WAF)
  • easy to put black out shades on the windows
  • Viewing would be say 25% sports (mostly hockey, but also basketball/football), 50% TV, rest movies (possible that it also be set up as a gaming projector, but we have an other room/TV for that)
  • I am heavily leaning towards the 5040ub or 5050ub (if I can get it on a refurb'd price)
  • Seating is ~15 feet from screen/wall

Leaning towards an 85" LCD after this discussion. Maybe something like the Sony 900H instead of say a Q90T ($3.2k vs $4.6k before tax up here). Then ultimately add a projector pull down screen down the line just for movies.

Though I was hoping only a projector would be doable, love the thought of using a 125" screen for everything, but the lights would be on much of the time and possibly even the pot lights in the "main" ceiling as well as it would be more of a family room type setting. I know, personally, if I'm staring at a washed out picture it would drive me crazy. The rest of my family wouldn't care.

If I went with a pull down screen, and the 5040 or 5050, I would llkely go around 135" or so. Anything folks recommend for a pull down sceen, that projector, this environment if I was to go with a dual setup?

This is the back of the room where windows are (all 3 windows can have blinds, even right now with this light the HT dedicated side is very, very dark.

View attachment 3061648

And the room itself, just side lights on, but you can see the front 3 potlights (there are 12 in total).

View attachment 3061649

Gaming unless you are going for a JVC, I would suggest you leave to a dedicated OLED or LCD display. The Epson will struggle with the HDR of video games as they are mastered poorly, they need the best constrast levels possible IMO to deliver the 'experience' needed to show off the graphics and the other issue with these machines is the 4K e-shift falls apart in video games but looks lovely in films and TV shows.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Also, just so I'm understanding throw ability, given a 17' fixed placement from the screen, if I went with say a BenQ 3550 the smallest screen size would actually be ~140"?
According to this:

at 17ft the smallest screen size (16x9) diagonal would be 159in, which is how screen size is normally stated. Screen width would be 139in (there's often minor rounding errors).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Having gone through basement home theater conversion over the past two years, I've learned that projectors are kind of an all or nothing thing. Depending on the use case, you have the two options:
  • Go all in: Black bat cave mandatory with black velvet if possible. Isolate the HT room from the rest of the basement with retractable black curtains at the back. Get a serious 4k projector for movies like the JVC NX line. Do a tiered home theater seating setup, not a living room seating arrangement. You can even get some seats that have built in risers so you don't have to build a platform.
  • Don't bother and pick one the following options:
    • TV: Easy. Simple. No hassle. I would even go with a 77" OLED if possible. OLEDs are great.
    • If you can't do a bat cave, but still think an 85" TV is not big enough, get a really bright projector and big screen. If you're not going for the best movie experience possible (bat cave), go for a big bright screen that will do movies just fine but is really for TV and sports viewing.
A dual setup is too much trouble, in my opinion. You'll end up just using one screen or the other.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Having gone through basement home theater conversion over the past two years, I've learned that projectors are kind of an all or nothing thing. Depending on the use case, you have the two options:
  • Go all in: Black bat cave mandatory with black velvet if possible. Isolate the HT room from the rest of the basement with retractable black curtains at the back. Get a serious 4k projector for movies like the JVC NX line. Do a tiered home theater seating setup, not a living room seating arrangement. You can even get some seats that have built in risers so you don't have to build a platform.
  • Don't bother and pick one the following options:
    • TV: Easy. Simple. No hassle. I would even go with a 77" OLED if possible. OLEDs are great.
    • If you can't do a bat cave, but still think an 85" TV is not big enough, get a really bright projector and big screen. If you're not going for the best movie experience possible (bat cave), go for a big bright screen that will do movies just fine but is really for TV and sports viewing.
A dual setup is too much trouble, in my opinion. You'll end up just using one screen or the other.

I have a dual setup and love it.
I didn't go all in but instead got an ALR screen and a projector and the projector is amazing for films and viewings for many people. The TV is good for single-person watching when I want to see a reference quality image and for single player video games.

I have a 77'' OLED ans its a good TV. Its not a cinema display or anything close to it even from 2.8M viewing distance.
A projector is a cinema display.

IMO they serve two different purposes.

A good projector with QOL features is well worth its value. A projector also offers 3D which is fantastic. Given OP can throw a gigantic screen size, the gap becomes even bigger.

Even I debate watching 100'' film on PJ or 77'' OLED and PJ wins in my heart alot of the time.

Dual setups are great for the best of both worlds. Some people simply can't treat a room or afford an N7. It does not mean projection can still not be a realm ventured into. There is more to an image than deep blacks.

Projection has better motion, better shadow detail, no reflection off the screen, no OLED dirty whites, no 5% grey banding, a more filmic picture, 3D, less need for picture processing and of course the gigantic size which not only wows but allows you to appreciate detail better.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I did a 120" projector with a electric drop down screen in front of a 65" plasma. 18' x 18' room. Loved it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
i've got a similarly sized room. i dont have the fancy new stuff, but have a humble setup w/older kuro 141fd 60" that i grabbed off online yardsale for free... so i aint gonna complain hahaha :). my projector is optoma 25e 100" diagonal.

like many have already stated, it's good to have both, but if you aren't able to, these days the bulbs are decent depending what projector you get and if you are getting projectors get the JVC, true 4k not the fake 4k and also better tone mapping makes it all the worthwhile.

direct displays microLED might come to the home at 100 to 200+ sizes with possibly similar OLED performances, but it AT LEAST 5 to 10 yrs away according to vincent t. from hdtvtest.

so buy for the now and not for the future. see if you are able to swing the JVC.

reason why i love projectors is there is truly nothing like watching something like lawrence of arabia or 2001 on a "smaller than 100" size as i've seen both digitlat 4k nd 70mm analog film and they are TRULY glorious on large large format and the closer you replicate that at home with large size the better the experience is imho. i also have the fortune of having my projector do 3D and i know it's "dead" but i still luv what i can play with it.there is truly nothing that beats it.

not a spoiler, but if you watched Mandolarians S02E01 the aspect ration opens up from 2.39 to 1.78 "imax" style just like imax blu-rays that have certain scenes in imax so when that comes on you can't beat watching that at home, it truly is a glorious experience. i assume you'll also have atmos to go along w/this.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts