AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need to make a final decision on buying a receiver. My components are:

Sharp LC42D62 1080p panel

SA8300HD PVR cable box (its in the mail, sometimes the hdmi on these dont work from Rogers, but I'm assuming I can use the HDMI, unless component actually edns up looking better)

Oppo 981HD DVD player, upconverts to 1080p, HDMI output

Nintendo Wii with component connections

MacBook Pro, outputs through DVI so I could use HDMI or Component adapter. Audio is through mini-toslink->optical

Fluance 5.0 speakers

I will also likely be getting a harmony 880 remote to do all the controlling.

Basically, I want all the sound to come out of the Fluances. The TV has an optical out for audio, but it only outputs PCM sound so I'm not getting the true 5.0 if I run stuff through the TV. So, I need a new receiver (from my old Yamaha 570). It seems to me that, within my price range and with my needs, the only options are the Pioneer 1016, the Onkyo 674, a couple of JVCs that I am hesitant to consider due to terrible customer service, and a sony which I won't buy because I hate sony.

I live in Toronto. My budget for this is about 600 bucks after tax, and yes I know the Onkyo will run me more than that, but I need options. If there are other options that will: Accept multiple HDMI sources and switch them, accept component sources and switch them, sound good, not break, have decent CS, and basically work nicely with all of the above parts, and cost a reasonable amount, I will definitely consider them.

I know that with the Onkyo I can only have 4 HD inputs (2 hdmi, 2 component) due to a problem assigning the audio inputs. Since I have exactly 4 sources, I should be ok there. As far as I know, with the 674 I can have 2 hdmi cables (carrying audio and video) 2 component video cables, 1 optical audio cable, and 1 L/R audio cable running in, and have a single HDMI cable carry all the video signals to one input on the TV. The audio will all come out of the Fluances, and whatever input I select on the receiver will determine the picture on the screen as well as the audio that comes out (obviously matching each other).

As far as I know, the drawback to the Pioneer here (and why it costs 300 bucks less) is that 1) I will need to run audio cables from the SA8300 and the Oppo to the 1016, along with the hdmi cables for the video. The setup for the wii and the computer remain the same. I also would need to have component cables from the 1016 to the TV to allow for using the OSD and to see the sources that come in via component (wii/computer).

In terms of video processing, the oppo is 1080p and needs no work. The wii is 480p, and neither of these receivers will upconvert that as far as I know. The SA8300, when displaying SD content, is my main question mark. Will either of these receivers increase the video quality of, say, Friends being watched on Fox through an SA8300? Or would I be looking at 1000$+ receivers for that?

I think thats basically all I've got for now. Advice, recommendations, corrections to things I have wrong, anything is helpful. I want to make a purchase this week, so I gotta get this figured out. AVS Forum geniuses, please help.

KB

Edit: Also, do either of these 2 receivers come with a good enough programmable remote that I could forgo the $150 for the harmony? That could impact the decision as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
It's a tough call. The main difference is the audio on the 674, which you've already noted. Is that worth $$$$? Only you can say (which is why no replies
).

If passing audio isn't an issue at the moment then why not just save the $$$ for something else?

At the moment I don't really see the need for passing/de-coding audio.........unless you have an HDMI only high def disc player. And then the 674 (IIRC) can only do 5.1 over HDMI, not any of the HD audio stuff.

I just went through this decision & ended up with the 1016 - it's a good value & does everything I need for quite some time.

Really only you can determine how important the HDMI audio is, for me just running an audio cable works just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bailey: Will either one have any effect on the quality of non-hd programming from the SA8300HD? I think that's the only thing that would sway me to the 674 at this point. On the original list of receivers, I had these 2, the Elite 80 (turns out is pretty much the 1016 only more expensive), the marantz 4001 (tough to find info about), a string of denons (all too expensive), and the yamaha 1600 (also too expensive). If I should be reconsidering any of these due to vast video processing superiority, I would want to know that as well.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Bailey: Will either one have any effect on the quality of non-hd programming from the SA8300HD?

IMHO, no. They simply pass the signal along. I have the older HD8000 (cheap Comcast @#$% ). I noticed no difference between straight to the TV via component & through the reciver. I couldn't get the HDMI to work (8000 has a DVI connected) prior to getting the reciver so I've not tried that connection.

I believe the 674 converts all signals to HDMI but really no better resolution than the input (max 480p IIRC). If the cable box is already putting out a higher signal all the reciever will do is pass it along.

I don't think any of them will degrade the signal, especially if they're just passing it along (and in your case you're not upconverting anything).

Summay - SD will likely look as bad as it always does

Can't answer on the others, been years since I've owned a Denon or Yammie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. The consistently high user reviews for the 1016 (checking cnet and amazon among others), along with the fact that I dont terribly mind running one extra set of optical cables and one extra set of component cables, means I will likely buy it (the price also helps). last thing, about the OSD on the 1016. I know it doens't come in over HDMI. If I have HDMI connected and COmponent connected, I assume I have to set the reciver to a source using the component connection to see the OSD? So if i'm watching TV, I need to switch to, say, the Wii source and then push the OSD button?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

Quote:
So if i'm watching TV, I need to switch to, say, the Wii source and then push the OSD button?

Yes & funny enough that's exactly the connection I have it on - the Wii

Also - the remote for the 1016 is a learning remote, though I've not used it (have a harmony) = it should work just fine.

The MCACC on the Pio works very well, even though it's limited to a single position (the Onk does 3 positions IIRC). Definate improvement over the SPL meter & single freq I had previously.

·
Registered
757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 /forum/post/0

At the moment I don't really see the need for passing/de-coding audio.........unless you have an HDMI only high def disc player. And then the 674 (IIRC) can only do 5.1 over HDMI, not any of the HD audio stuff.

Your not saying the 674 will no pass the HD sound are you?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST /forum/post/0

Your not saying the 674 will no pass the HD sound are you?

SR674 will be able to handle HD lossless audio over HDMI. Your player has to be able to decode those and pass it on to SR674 as multi channel LPCM. SR674 however is limited to 5.1 LPCM over HDMI and also it can't apply surround processing to it. You will be fine, if you are not going to have 7.1 setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.