AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I know I have littered the forum with my posts this last few weeks and I sincerely thank everyone for their patience in my pursuit of buying the right pair of subwoofers. Initially, I was intent on getting a pair of HSU VTF-15H MK2, but ironically the more I read the less I know. I am coming from a pair of SVS PB-1000 which have served heroically, but I feel like I am ready for more. I am looking to get more rumble and more powerful oomph. I keep the PB-1000s at 12 o'clock and I feel like they are "loud" enough, but lack the physical oomph and rumble sensations I get from more powerful subwoofers. I have narrowed down my options to:
  • HSU VTF-15H MK2 - $1800 for a pair
  • Rythmik FVX15 - $2200 for a pair (roughly)
I will primarily be using my setup for movies, maybe occasionally for sports and casual music listening when company is over. Since I know room conditions play a big role, here are some measurements and pictures...
  • Distance from TV to MLP is 10ft
  • Floor to ceiling is 8ft with flat ceiling
  • Living room extends into stairway and kitchen

Thank you everyone again for all your help!

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,404 Posts
What was the answer the last 2 times?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was the answer the last 2 times?
The first time was between HSU VTF-3.5 HP and VTF-15.2H and the VTF-15.2H won out. In the 2nd round, it was VTF-15.2H vs FVX15 and so far some have suggested VTF-15.2H while others suggested FVX15. ¯\(ツ)

·
AVS ***** Member
9,289 Posts
The first time was between HSU VTF-3.5 HP and VTF-15.2H and the VTF-15.2H won out. In the 2nd round, it was VTF-15.2H vs FVX15 and so far some have suggested VTF-15.2H while others suggested FVX15. ¯\(ツ)

Hi,

The real problem here is that there isn't really a wrong answer to the question of which subwoofer you should buy. Both are good subwoofers! They are fairly close in capability and price, although the Rythmik may extend a little lower. But, you already know that from a previous thread, and the odds are that either subwoofer would be such a big improvement to your current sub that either one would satisfy you. Most HSU owners will probably recommend HSU and most Rythmik owners will probably recommend Rythmik. That is certainly what you would expect, anyway.

Here are a few thoughts, for what they are worth. First, your room size won't really be much of a factor in the decision, in my opinion. You won't get quite as much room gain as you would if the room weren't open to other spaces. But, you will be sitting close enough to your subs, if you keep them both within your listening room, to have plenty of SPL with either sub. Again, the Rythmik sub may extend a little lower, but it won't be a very notiecable difference. Both subs have some user adjustability, and that's a good thing. The Rythmik subs have a little more, and I think you might like that for reasons I will explain.

I'm guessing that your first floor is over a crawl space. If so, you should end-up getting a fair bit of low-frequency tactile response from the suspended wood floor. I believe that the Rythmik sub will offer you a little better opportunity to control how much of that you get. I would also expect it to have a slightly clearer sound signature, but since you are primarily going to be using your system for movies and TV, that might not matter much.

I don't want to put a damper on your thread, but I honestly don't think you are going to learn much that is new here. You could do ten threads soliciting opinions, and unless they all said the same thing (and what are the odds of that?) you would still have to trust your own judgment, instincts, or preferences in the end. Just give all of this a rest for awhile, and sleep on it for a couple of days. I predict that one morning you will wake up knowing what you want to do. :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
They are both good choices. The HSU gives you more output across the spectrum even down to 16Hz. The FVX15 will give you a bit more options with the amp configurations.

With the HSU VTF15, you will 99.9% likely need a miniDSP to align the subs. The FVX15 subs have phase/delay control on amp so you can align them and even do some basic PEQ on the FVX15 subs without the need of a miniDSP. But to get the most out of the FVX15 subs you will likely end up with a miniDSP also.

I believe Rythmik has a better warranty and they use less power in standby mode than the HSU subs if that matters.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Rythmik has a little more max SPL at every frequency and extends a little lower
I think that is true for the FV15HP not the FVX15.

Reactions: mthomas47

·
AVS ***** Member
9,289 Posts
I think that is true for the FV15HP not the FVX15.
Oops, I think you are right, although the FVX15 may still extend just a little bit lower. I will edit my post. As you know, most people do not use miniDSP's, especially with XT-32. In fact, I know of a number of people with miniDSP's who no longer use them in favor of just letting their auto-calibration, and some post calibration phase-tweaking, do the work.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are both good choices. The HSU gives you more output across the spectrum even down to 16Hz. The FVX15 will give you a bit more options with the amp configurations.

With the HSU VTF15, you will 99.9% likely need a miniDSP to align the subs. The FVX15 subs have phase/delay control on amp so you can align them and even do some basic PEQ on the FVX15 subs without the need of a miniDSP. But to get the most out of the FVX15 subs you will likely end up with a miniDSP also.

I believe Rythmik has a better warranty and they use less power in standby mode than the HSU subs if that matters.
If I have am using Audessey MultiXT32, would I still need a miniDSP?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

The real problem here is that there isn't really a wrong answer to the question of which subwoofer you should buy. Both are good subwoofers! They are fairly close in capability and price, although the Rythmik has a little more max SPL at every frequency and extends a little lower. But, you already know that from a previous thread, and the odds are that either subwoofer would be such a big improvement to your current sub that either one would satisfy you. Most HSU owners will probably recommend HSU and most Rythmik owners will probably recommend Rythmik. That is certainly what you would expect, anyway.

Here are a few thoughts, for what they are worth. First, your room size won't really be much of a factor in the decision, in my opinion. You won't get quite as much room gain as you would if the room weren't open to other spaces. But, you will be sitting close enough to your subs, if you keep them both within your listening room, to have plenty of SPL with either sub. Again, the Rythmik sub will extend a little lower, but it won't be a night-and-day difference. Both subs have some user adjustability, and that's a good thing. The Rythmik subs have a little more, and I think you might like that for reasons I will explain.

I'm guessing that your first floor is over a crawl space. If so, you should end-up getting a fair bit of low-frequency tactile response from the suspended wood floor. I believe that the Rythmik sub will offer you a little better opportunity to control how much of that you get. I would also expect it to have a slightly clearer sound signature, but since you are primarily going to be using your system for movies and TV, that might not matter much.

I don't want to put a damper on your thread, but I honestly don't think you are going to learn much that is new here. You could do ten threads soliciting opinions, and unless they all said the same thing (and what are the odds of that?) you would still have to trust your own judgment, instincts, or preferences in the end. Just give all of this a rest for awhile, and sleep on it for a couple of days. I predict that one morning you will wake up knowing what you want to do. :)

Regards,
Mike
Thanks your your thoughts, I sincerely mean it. You are correct though; I will be 99% happy (remaining 1% being the annoying what-if voice) no matter what I buy. I really should just stop reading and thinking about things. It's gotten to the point where the more I learn, the less sure I am.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think these prices are off. I see $2200 for the HSUs and $2400 for the Rythmiks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think these prices are off. I see $2200 for the HSUs and $2400 for the Rythmiks.
The VTF-15H are $1830 before tax and shipping if you buy it in a 2 pack. The FVX15 about $1100 each before tax if I go pick them up.

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
123 Posts
Correct. If you’ve spent more than a few hours weighing these options, you’re just thinking too hard. Flip a coin and order.

Reactions: chenjy9

·
Registered
769 Posts
The VTF-15H are $1830 before tax and shipping if you buy it in a 2 pack. The FVX15 about $1100 each before tax if I go pick them up.
Then you’re basically looking at no cost difference unless my math is wrong. Shipping is quoted at $366 for a pair of the HSUs.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If I have am using Audessey MultiXT32, would I still need a miniDSP?
Depends on you. If you want to get 100% from dual subs, then yes. If you are happy at 90-95%, then no probably not.

Reactions: Deaf-Forever

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks your your thoughts, I sincerely mean it. You are correct though; I will be 99% happy (remaining 1% being the annoying what-if voice) no matter what I buy. I really should just stop reading and thinking about things. It's gotten to the point where the more I learn, the less sure I am.
It's called analysis paralysis. I suffer from it too. I envy people who can make a decision and live with it easily. Knowing is half the battle, make your choice and stop researching.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So your getting the rhythmic $300 off ?
I’ve never had a mini dsp are they really worth the cost ? Maybe only for duel subs ???

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts