AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just received 6' sonotube.

I finally crunched some numbers in WinISDPro and Sonotube and came up with these numbers. Please look it over and if you pros see anything that needs changing please let me know. It is my first sonotube afterall. The numbers might not look that good to you as they do to me.

Here it is:

SS-Rl-p15

Beh EP1500

24" Sonotube

265L effective (283gross)

6" PVC or Sonotube port (flared 3/4 inch at both ends)

Port lenght 21 5/16"

3 x 3/4 MDF board for each endcap. 1 layer ovehangs sono by 4 inches and 2 layers inside sono.

Tuned to 18 hz (i know most are lower, but not many movies have that low signal output anyways)

(i can't get the graph to transfer onto here)

If you need more info please tell me.

If there is anything critically wrong with this design tell me NOW(before i start), any opinions, comments are welcome and wanted.
(especially from the sono kings in here)

Thnx in advance

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx guys, if thats the way to go then i will change the tuning to 16 hz. The only thing that changes then is the port lenght. Thnx for the advice.

Another question is, in WINDisd Pro, when the numbers are inputed, there is no drop off (as in the posts i read), after 100hz the graph shows that the sound goes to 0 - referance and stays there, is that normal.

Thnx

·
Registered
776 Posts
What verson of the RL-P15 are you going to be using? The D2 or D4? I ask because because if I remember right the D4 likes a bigger enclosure than the D2. (265l being a good size for the D2)

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambus /forum/post/0

thnx guys, if thats the way to go then i will change the tuning to 16 hz. The only thing that changes then is the port lenght. Thnx for the advice.

Another question is, in WINDisd Pro, when the numbers are inputed, there is no drop off (as in the posts i read), after 100hz the graph shows that the sound goes to 0 - referance and stays there, is that normal.

Thnx

You have to input the Le value in order to see the high frequency roll-off. Finding out the "correct" Le value is another thing though...
Use something like 4 mH with that driver.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have the D2 verson and an EP1500 also. You have 2 choices, you can give it 450w or 1400w. Now 1400w might be too much for this driver so I have mine wired in series for 450w at 4ohms. What receiver are you using to send the signal to the pro amp? I found that my Onkyo 600 did not have a strong enuff signal for my EP1500 to give full power so I had to install an Art Clean Box. After that every thing has been great.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 /forum/post/0

I have the D2 verson and an EP1500 also. You have 2 choices, you can give it 450w or 1400w. Now 1400w might be too much for this driver so I have mine wired in series for 450w at 4ohms. What receiver are you using to send the signal to the pro amp? I found that my Onkyo 600 did not have a strong enuff signal for my EP1500 to give full power so I had to install an Art Clean Box. After that every thing has been great.

I would definitely give it a full 1400 watts. That driver can take 1000W RMS (sine wave), so 1400W isn't too much with a music signal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thnx for the info. I will be running the sono from Pioneer VSX-1015tx. I will just wire it for 1400W and turn the LFE output lower , as well as the amp. This will give me plenty of overhead if i ever need.

Let the cutting of the tube begin.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would like to hear more opions on the thought of giving 1400w to the RL-P with this design? Does every one think this is not to dangerous with a large ported design?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.