AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is at 100% Fresh with a score of 8.5/10 based on 5 reviews. Yeah, it's not hard to get 100% for the first handful, but it's the 8.5 that's kind of piquing my interest.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a heads-up to people who care about score - it's at 53% and 5.7/10.

I've always been turned off by teen horror pics, so I'd only see one if it was getting good reviews for an extended period of time.

But I hope you guys enjoy it

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's far better than previous couple of sequels. The 3-D is much improved over the last entry also, with good layering for depth and excellent off the screen gimmicks. It's obvious the director understands stereoscopy. A nice twist in the story at the end too, though fans of the series will see it coming.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The Final Destination movies get worse with each "sequel" and this one is no exception. The acting is terrible across the board. The deaths are increasingly ridiculous (and I'm not talking about how crazy the "coincidences" are that cause them, but that they completely ignore physics and common sense aspects of reality. And the movies spend way too much time trying to make you think it could be this or that, instead of just letting it unfold. And the series keeps making up new contradictory rules in each movie because they can't think of a way to carry on the series without ignoring what they set up previously.

The ending tried to be clever to connect it to the previous films, but is very obvious once the setting is revealed, and not surprising at all if you're paying attention during the rest of the film.

The 3D wasn't bad.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay /forum/post/20831037

The Final Destination movies get worse with each "sequel" and this one is no exception. The acting is terrible across the board. The deaths are increasingly ridiculous (and I'm not talking about how crazy the "coincidences" are that cause them, but that they completely ignore physics and common sense aspects of reality. And the movies spend way too much time trying to make you think it could be this or that, instead of just letting it unfold. And the series keeps making up new contradictory rules in each movie because they can't think of a way to carry on the series without ignoring what they set up previously.

The ending tried to be clever to connect it to the previous films, but is very obvious once the setting is revealed, and not surprising at all if you're paying attention during the rest of the film.

The 3D wasn't bad.

I agree with this 100%. The laser eye surgery thing was ridiculous. 10mW of laser power is nothing. That's less than the power output of MANY handheld laser pointers. You need to have over a hundred times that to cut something.

·
Registered
167 Posts
According to Marketsaw and BoxOfficeMojo, this movie earned 75% of its opening gross from 3D tickets.

However, it is also one of the lowest-grossing sequels and earned less than the previous film.

Quote:
In third place, death started to grip the Final Destination franchise, which saw one of its sequels open lower than its predecessors for the first time. Final Destination 5 drew $18 million on close to 4,600 screens at 3,155 locations, and an estimated 75 percent of the gross was from 3D presentations on 2,800 screens at 2,515 locations (highest 3D share of the summer among major releases). Predecessor The Final Destination, also in 3D, debuted to $27.4 million in Aug. 2009, but FD5's estimated attendance was the worst of the franchise, slotting just below the first movie.

In its marketing, Final Destination 5 offered more of the same and no new twists, relying only on the brand and new deaths to lure moviegoers. On top of natural fatigue, the brand was damaged by The Final Destination, which, in additon to being promoted as the final movie, was widely seen as the worst of the series. According to distributor Warner Bros., FD5's audience was 54 percent male (FD4 had a 52 percent female skew) and evenly split between those over and under 25 years old (FD4 was 60 percent under 25).

So it seems like the interest in 3D is still there, but people are growing a little tired of the franchise.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2011/0...lar-75-of.html
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3248&p=.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.