AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, Final Fantasy 13 is support but for the life of me I cant get the little DTS light to light up on my Onkyo 605. I know DTS works being Uncharted 2 supports DTS and the light comes right on. With Final Fantasy 13 it just says Multi-channel PCM. Is this a known problem?

And a follow up question. Pleases forgive me if this is a stupid question. Do I want DTS or Linear PCM? And being DTS is not coming out of Final Fantasy 13 does that mean i'm getting a linear PCM track? Thanks

EDIT: If I disable everything but DTS then Final Fantasy will play the DTS track, Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That is completely normal. The PS3 is decoding the DTS track to a Liner PCM track. Both should be the same, though if you want to apply post processing on the Onkyo 605 to matrix a 5.1 signal to 7.1, you'll have to turn everything off like you have already did. The Onkyo 605 won't apply things such as Dolby Prologic IIx on anything over a 2-channel Linear PCM signal.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have mind to PCM as well and I cant be sure if its the Dobly or DTS track that is getting decoded. I heard that if you are using bitstream you had to disable Dolby to force it to DTS.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Guys, for christs sake, audio in games is mixed in PCM. And then if necessary encoded to DTS or DD. If you have the option of PCM use it - it'll be less compressed and better sounding.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/18294472

Guys, for christs sake, audio in games is mixed in PCM. And then if necessary encoded to DTS or DD. If you have the option of PCM use it - it'll be less compressed and better sounding.

Just because the game's audio is mixed in PCM doesn't mean it doesn't get packaged as DTS and then sent out. No reason to go flying off the handles. Calm down, dude, it's not the end of the world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a different issue. I thought FF13 was suppose to be 7.1 uncompressed, but I only get 5.1 uncompressed. My Elite 21thx does show the input as 7.1 lpcm, but there is no sound out of the rear speakers. I have to apply PL IIx to get any sound out of them. Other uncompressed 7.1 games work fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked into this issue and apparently FF XIII only carries 5.1 sound. Check it out here

http://www.psmotion.es/actualidad/no...alles-tecnicos

You can notice on the box picture that it says 5.1 linear pcm, dolby, etc, a disappointment, I know. While that is the japanese box, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't remix and improve the sound for the US version.

Here's a suggestion that could work for some of you (I have a Denon AVR 590 which I hooked up to an amp for 7.1 sound btw in case that's of any help).

Seeing that I was getting Multi Channel 7.1 on the receiver screen but no sound was coming from the rear speakers I disabled Linear PCM 7.1 (left Linear PCM 5.1 active).

By doing that I was able apply PL IIx to the Linear PCM 5.1 signal (which if I'm not mistaken sounds better than having it be Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 + PL IIx)

I now show Multi Channel In + PL IIx on the AVR 590 screen and according to it, the imput is PCM, sound coming from all speakers.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK8000LG /forum/post/18297633

So PCM is as good or better then DTS right?

in most cases, yes. With games it is not so cut and dry, because unless the audio samples on the BD are in fact lossless, DD/DTS/PCM could all sound the same.

Given the limited amount of memory on the PS3 and the high access time and low transfer rate of BD, for a game that doesn't use a HDD install, my guess is the audio samples are in fact lossy.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/18299177

in most cases, yes. With games it is not so cut and dry, because unless the audio samples on the BD are in fact lossless, DD/DTS/PCM could all sound the same.

That is not correct, even if the audio samples are lossy, output as lossless PCM will always provide a better sound as the audio doesn't get recompressed.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I don't mean to be repetitive, but I'm kinda in a similar situation. FFXIII is the first PS3 game I've purchased (i've used my ps3 slim as a blu ray player for months) and I just want to confirm I have everything configured on my ps3 to ensure I'm getting the full audio and video experience.

I've read somewhere that for playing videogames as opposed to blu ray, the "BD/DVD Video Output Format" should be set to RGB (and not Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr). Is this correct? and are there other video settings to change?

As for audio, my PS3 is connected to an AVR (via HDMI), so I normally have it set on bitstream mode. While I'm playing the game, the AVR has PCM on its display. From the above posts, this is what I should be seeing?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts