AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should be a good HD topic to argue about, not the movie but PQ. The movie was 100% computer generated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, but transferred to film. Not sure if it then is digitized from film or not, but my guess would be so. So it *shouldn't* look any different than a regular movie.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I'm mad I wont be able to see this. (Something about my sister getting married.) Then I will be going to Rocky Pointe for a week right after that.:( So much HD, so little time.:)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Here's a tip. When a movie first debuts on the movie channels you'll have 1 or 2 or 25 chances in the not too distant future to see it again. ;)

Thanks to this notion there hasnt been much cause for me to bemoan not having recording capability. Between the movie channels doing that, HDNet repeating most everything over and over again (I think the Coast Guard Cutter show just celebrated it's 1000th showing), and reruns from the Networks, about the only thing thats not shown multiple times is certain live sporting events. Those would be nice once in a while to be able to timeshift if you were going out. Course aside from some run of the mill baseball games (yeah, they're eye-candy, so what), theres not alot of must see live tv sports in HD anyway.

Oh, someone say something about Final Fantasy? Yeah, cool.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sweet, Final Fantasy was a cool movie. Looked great even on ordinary DirecTV PPV - glad to see HBO is getting it now. I will be watching.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is on HBO site, as many noticed listed as "True HDTV."

These true HDTVs better look better than the old ones, otherwise what should we call them before they started using "True HDTV," "Truer HDTV?"

·
Registered
800 Posts
It's been a while since a new "Saturday Night Guarantee" movie premiered on HBO-HD in anything other than an HD transfer. This despite the fact that the schedule on HBO's Web site sometimes doesn't list it as HD until the last minute. "Path to War" was not listed as HD right up until its first airing. (It's now listed as HD.)

Almost certainly "Final Fantasy" will air in HD.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Check out the A-Z guide at the end of the monthly guide (download pdf file). This has been 100% accurate ever since I started looking for it (about a year). It isn't posted until the first day of the month, however.

It shows Final Fantasy as HDTV.

Hoping for a digital transfer (Shrek too)!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Romanik
Check out the A-Z guide at the end of the monthly guide (download pdf file). This has been 100% accurate ever since I started looking for it (about a year). It isn't posted until the first day of the month, however.

I'll second this comment. I've NEVER caught HBO's own .pdf guide in a mistake. In my experience, too, It's been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Here's a tip. When a movie first debuts on the movie channels you'll have 1 or 2 or 25 chances in the not too distant future to see it again. ;)

Thanks to this notion there hasnt been much cause for me to bemoan not having recording capability. Between the movie channels doing that, HDNet repeating most everything over and over again (I think the Coast Guard Cutter show just celebrated it's 1000th showing), and reruns from the Networks, about the only thing thats not shown multiple times is certain live sporting events. Those would be nice once in a while to be able to timeshift if you were going out. Course aside from some run of the mill baseball games (yeah, they're eye-candy, so what), theres not alot of must see live tv sports in HD anyway.

Oh, someone say something about Final Fantasy? Yeah, cool.
After reading this I don't much care that I don't have access to HD net. As far as recording goes, yes current movies are repeated over and over again, but after that they may only show up once every 2 years or not at all. Once you record it, you have it as long as you live.

That's what's great about recording.

bb

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Romanik

And finally I will be able to record Shrek without breakup and glitches after having tried for many times on EVU without success.

Hopefully HBO will air AI soon as well.

bb

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey this is a cartoon. looks a lot like the video game series my wife and kids have been possessed by for a couple years now. Good sound and kind of cool I guess.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

After reading this I don't much care that I don't have access to HD net. As far as recording goes, yes current movies are repeated over and over again, but after that they may only show up once every 2 years or not at all. Once you record it, you have it as long as you live.

That's what's great about recording.

bb
Assuming the tape doesn't degrade, crinkle/tear when caught in a mechanical transport disaster, etc. I sure hope your tapes fare better than some of my 10 year old beta and vhs tapes. I believe tape longevity is an oxymoron. And I can't see equating tapes for home with the tapes used by the studios as masters in terms of longevity and durability. I'd bet the studios don't just have one copy of a master that they plan on lasting forever.

I still can't believe you've dumped your DVDs and are putting all your eggs in a tape basket. I think you'll regret that some day.

·
Registered
21,719 Posts
Great HD picture and sound!!!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.