AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, is anyone else here counting the seconds till the release of Squaresoft's Final Fantasy XI, the first one in the epic series to be online? Now I know we're all highly anticipating Half-Life 2 and Doom III and other such legends to return, but honestly, is anyone all jazzed up for this? I fear that this game might only attract fans of Everyquest (a game that, in MHO, is an awful travesty) to the negation of all others. I don't know, I just can't wait for this game and hope that it is everything that I know it can be. Haven't heard much talk about summon abilities though which frightens me just a little...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I am a beta tester for FF XI..I received the game and hard drive about 2-3 weeks ago, and honestly haven't had much time to play. I'll tell you my 1st impressions were..well..not good. Between installing the game onto the hard drive, signing up for PlayOnline, and downloading numerous updates just to play the game, it took all of 2 hours.

I should say that i've never..repeat, never, played a Final Fantasy game before this, so I didn't really know what to expect. Initial reactions though..open-ended environment, fairly smooth gameplay, considering it's all online..took me awhile to figure out what the hell to do, but after chatting with a few helpful players, I figured it out.

I'll post a more in depth review as I play it more. Feel free to ask questions and i'll do my best to answer..

Matt

oh yeah..when you play.............MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A USB KEYBOARD!! It's hell typing with a PS2 controller..:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I should've mentioned that there in no way on God's green Earth that I would play a game like this on a PS2 (or any console for that matter); I was speaking of the PC release of Final Fantasy XI; I have compared screen shots of the PS2 version and the PC version, and I tell ya, brother, it is like night and day. Consoles can do many things but doing a MMORPG, in MHO, they cannot, especially the PS2 which is like a crackwhore mother who keeps popping out kids although she can never really do them justice.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
while i can't agree with the crackwhore mother reference, I agree, as I think most others will, that the PC version of a game will graphically exceed the console version. I was thinking maybe the gameplay elements would be similar? Not sure, as I said, I really didn't know what to expect. I can see how a game like this would be much easier to navigate on the PC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in the beta with the PC version, it does have a 16:9 option.

At first I didn't really care for the game, the first 10 or so levels are kind of slow. At some point though it just clicked for me and now I love it. FF games have always been my favorite, and the idea of a purely online installment was unappealing to say the least, but I'm very pleased with what they have accomplished. Im now a Lvl 30 War/20 Ranger and still going fairly strong.

Hope to see you in retail.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Axl
I am in the beta with the PC version, it does have a 16:9 option.
Sweet! Any chance you could post a screenshot? ;)

Hopefully it's 1280x768 as well as 1280x720. My monitor at the moment is the former, but with any luck I'll be getting a DLP or CRT rear projection around Christmas/January and I'd like to play on there so I can get the benefit of my couch :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The couch isn't intense enough for a game like this! You should be sitting in a squeeky office chair with the tip of your nose smudging the 19" flatscreen monitor; now that's doing it good and proper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.