AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IGN recently posted an article titled "Final Fantasy XIII: Recipe for Delight" , where they listed thirteen things that they wished to see in FF13. Some are very broad and some are very specific. Post your own "wish list" and explain each. Feel free to use some that were already used, if you feel that they're important. :p

My list:

A Humble Story - This was first on IGN's list and I couldn't agree more. Final Fantasy stories are traditionally about an entire planet in peril, but I think some of the better-told video game stories aren't about saving the world from imminent doom, but are about smaller-scale stories. I think that a story could be just as epic, without having to be about saving the planet from being destroyed.

Unique and Fixed Character Abilities - In terms of the battle and character progression, I've always loved the concept of having completely unique characters, much like in FFIX. I think there's such thing as too much customization with the characters, and I would prefer it if the characters were not more-or-less identical. Take FFXII, for example. Any character can potentially specialize in Offensive Magic, Restorative Magic or Physical Damage, wield Swords, Spears, Bows, or Guns...and eventually, during the natural progression of the game, all of the above. Perhaps too much uniqueness is bad, and maybe you need at least a bit of customization. I thought FFX was a near-perfect balance, where the Sphere Grid suggested characters' roles in battle and had restrictions as to what each character could be capable of. I hope XIII takes a step in the direction of fixed, unique characters rather than fully-customizable characters.

More Practical Summoning System - After FFVI's Esper System, I've never been a big fan of the Summoning system. They're awesome eye candy, but there was at least one thing that would bother me. Sometimes, the summons just took far too long to use in a conventional battle. Sometimes, they were just way too powerful and crushed bosses way too quickly, it really took away from the fun of huge boss battles. Playing through some of the FF's again, I've almost completely ditched the Summoning system. This time around, I hope they find the right balance in making the Summons more practical in terms of power (useful but not too powerful) and presentaton (cinematic but not too lengthy).

More Strategy-Based Combat - Being able to defeat a boss in an Final Fantasy game typically depends on being at a high enough level, getting your equipment is up to snuff, and having the important traits/abilities. Typically, you can just follow a simple formula to beat a boss: heal damaged allies, remove status ailments, hit the boss with your hardest attacks untile he dies. I think boss fights would be a lot more interesting if some of them required more strategy, instead of just being level/gear checks. For example, they could add in gimmicks for some bossess can't just be defeated simply by following a simple formula and you have to explore to find the right method to beat him. I think that it's simple to implement and would make the game that much more enjoyable.

Feel free to comment or add your own list.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you want to work on the boss battles, make the requirements for beating them completely random. I mean in terms of strategy. Surely they could add a few sub routines to their programming to try and force you to use different types of magic or attacks.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I wish they would finish it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i wish they used turn based fighting system... Looks like im an old duck...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I want random battles and ATB turn based combat... that's right, I'm old school. You can keep your Gambits and real time visible enemies.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mog /forum/post/14183314

i wish they used turn based fighting system... Looks like im an old duck...

I'm right with ya! Sometimes its OK to get back to the old-school gaming mechanics!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by game_fanatic /forum/post/14183970

I'm right with ya! Sometimes its OK to get back to the old-school gaming mechanics!

+1

I miss the days of ChronoTrigger and the BoF series. Good 'ole fashion turned based somehow never gets old.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but is this a single-player or massively multiplayer online game? It sounds like single-player but I wanted to be sure.

I'll second their request to skip cutscenes. Not that I'll do it the first time I see one, but I hate losing a boss battle and then having to sit through a 10-minute scene again before giving it another try.

How about male characters that don't look androgynous?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I thought 9 was okay. It wasn't incredible, story-wise, but I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Never played 9, wish I had...for whatever reason I just couldn't get into X or XII, but I still go back and play IV, V and VI every so often. So one more for "turn based combat".

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My wishlist:

-Real time battles: I just do not like 'warping' to battle every few seconds. I prefer to see the actual enemies on the screen.

-Highly upgradeable and customizable weapons

-A good story: I would prefer a darker, more mature story with a few twists and turns.

-The ability to save in most locations: Sometimes things come up and it is bothersome to *have* to play until you find that next save point.

-A cool airship: I love airships.

-Lots of secrets to discover: I love secrets! I think most people feel the same way.

-Downloadable content of some sort

-A challenging final boss battle

-Good voice acting: It would be nice if they were able to approach the standard set by games such as MGS4

-Lots of mini-games

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/14183336

I want random battles and ATB turn based combat... that's right, I'm old school. You can keep your Gambits and real time visible enemies.

Agreed.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/14183336

Then go play the hundreds, if not thousands of games that already have random battles and turn based combat.

I'd prefer the combat system being modernized. Never did understand the fascination with turn based battle. Always seemed to turn a video game into a board game instead of something that I feel like I'm controlling. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm undecided on whether I prefer Turn-Based, ATB, ADB, or something totally fresh. To be honest, I don't really care as long as it's good. Emphasis on requiring more than just a simple heal/cure/damage formula to kill bosses. It doesn't have to be frustratingly hard. Just unique and interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts