AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

· Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's just under a month away. Anyone here excited?

I've been trying to see what differences there would be between the 360 and PS3 but all I see are fanboys trying to backup "their" system without any facts.

I'm assuming this will be coming on multiple DVD's for the 360? What system was this developed on first? Or was it developed for both systems at the same time? For the last 2 years I've purchased all multi-console games on the 360. But I'm on the fence with this one since Final Fantasy has always been a Playstation console game.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
"Final Fantasy has always been a Playstation console game."

So apparently you weren't around for the first, I don't know, six of them?

Aside from that, it will more than likely run a bit better on the 360 as Square Enix has more experience writing for that platform, but it will come at the cost of a couple of disc swaps. Either way, we don't know yet, and won't for another couple of weeks. Originally I was going to buy a PS3 the day FF XIII hit, but now that it's on the 360 I won't need one until Trico hits. Or I become impatient with need for Heavy Rain.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
I was looking at this yesterday, and found a bunch of hits of a recent article of people who have seen both running side by side, and apparently the ps3 version looks noticeably better. I guess they are riding around in a truck or trailer of some kind and letting people play it, and have both systems running at the same time. Unfortunately I can't look at any of the major gaming sites at work, and I forgot to look for more details last night at home. I don't think it was a looks better in a the 360 looks like crap kind of way, more of they both look good but the ps3 version looks better. Something about the compression that the 360 version has to use vs not having to with bluray on the ps3. I'm not claiming this is definitely truth, this just what I could gather from the very limited 2nd and 3rd hand articles I could actually get to.

A link like this one looked interesting, as well as this one . If someone wants to google "ffiii 360 vs ps3 side by side" and see what they can come up with and post some articles here, that would be helpful as I can't view the sites myself. The google preview of those two links hint at the 360 version having inferior textures and detail.

Anyway, I do expect the ps3 version to be better, but I'm curious just how much better. I own both systems, but I really want to buy it for 360 since my ps3 is in my home theater and the 360 is where I have been doing my gaming. If the ps3 version is only marginally better, and more importantly, it's only graphical and doesn't affect gameplay, I'll probably just get it for the 360 anyway.

· Banned
7,766 Posts
Ah, yes, rendered cut-scenes will probably be pretty heavily compressed 720p on the 360, while they will be less compressed and possibly 1080p on the PS3. Any in game texturing and modeling though should be roughly the same. While there is more space on a Bluray versus a DVD for textures and whatnot, the memory available to work with them and the speed at which you can pull them off the disc make that storage size advantage useless for anything but pre-rendered videos.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Is it true that the new FF will NOT be online? no MMO? If I was a fan of the series that would kill it for me.

· Registered
2,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/18121225

Is it true that the new FF will NOT be online? no MMO? If I was a fan of the series that would kill it for me.

It was only one title in the "Final Fantasy" series that was online; all the others have and will apparently continue to be traditional single-player role-playing games. I don't know how to interpret your comment, but for most fans, the online game was something very different and not altogether welcome.

· Registered
2,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18121458

Except for, you know, the next one.

Gah, seriously? Are they going to do another MMO one? That's terrible. The first one was along the lines of, "apply a thin coating of Final Fantasy onto a serving of Everquest" and never came close to being as good as serious MMORPGs, at least in my opinion. That and the Xbox 360 implementation was terrible... Not sure if consoles really make sense in this space, to be honest. If folks want to play a game like that, they'll play "World of Warcraft" or similar.

· Registered
5,949 Posts
I've never played FFXI, but it's done very well and still has a lot of subscribers today. After the disaster of the Final Fantasy movie, Square needed a predictable revenue stream and got it. It probably made them more money than FFVIII through FFXII combined.

FFXIV sounds really good, actually.

· Registered
1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/18120948

Ah, yes, rendered cut-scenes will probably be pretty heavily compressed 720p on the 360, while they will be less compressed and possibly 1080p on the PS3. Any in game texturing and modeling though should be roughly the same. While there is more space on a Bluray versus a DVD for textures and whatnot, the memory available to work with them and the speed at which you can pull them off the disc make that storage size advantage useless for anything but pre-rendered videos.

Who really cares about cut scenes though? Although it is a JRPG with a chance to fall asleep watching the damn things.

· Registered
2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel /forum/post/18121800

Who really cares about cut scenes though? Although it is a JRPG with a chance to fall asleep watching the damn things.

If you don't care about FF cutscenes, then you don't care about the story. FF is not like many RPG games where you can skip the cutscenes story and know what is going on.

· Registered
2,049 Posts
If you only own X360 console and want to enjoy FF XIII, why so concerned about the cutscenes quality? Even it's lower than PS3 version, what matters if you can now play FF XIII on X360.

This argument is with PS3 fans all the time. Many non-exclusive games have better graphics on X360 version but PS3 fanboys first say PS3 has more powerful hardware and then say graphics isn't that important when the PS3 version has poorer graphics than X360 version. Now FF XIII is probably the opposite. So, if the best version graphics is that important, then don't play FF XIII on X360. Also does having to swap the discs twice thoughout the game going to break your hands? Lost Odssey has 4 discs and Blue Dragon has 3 discs and I don't hear the comparison because it's X360 exclusive.

· Registered
3,356 Posts
Three discs vs one BD

More compressed audio and video to fit on three discs.

720p vs 1080p video

No one knows anything about the 360 graphics/performance itself, it's not out anywhere.

If you have a 360, get it on the 360. I have both, so I'd get the PS3 version, I don't want 3x the chance to scratch or lose a disc. Not to mention the 360 I'd install all three discs (for noise reasons) and the PS3 version has no install and no long loads.

· Registered
4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/18122550

Three discs vs one BD

More compressed audio and video to fit on three discs.

720p vs 1080p video

No one knows anything about the 360 graphics/performance itself, it's not out anywhere.

If you have a 360, get it on the 360. I have both, so I'd get the PS3 version, I don't want 3x the chance to scratch or lose a disc. Not to mention the 360 I'd install all three discs (for noise reasons) and the PS3 version has no install and no long loads.

Did you view the links I posted? They seem to indicate that people HAVE seen both side by side.

· Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/18121743

I've never played FFXI, but it's done very well and still has a lot of subscribers today. After the disaster of the Final Fantasy movie, Square needed a predictable revenue stream and got it. It probably made them more money than FFVIII through FFXII combined.

FFXIV sounds really good, actually.

So does the original Everquest game. If all gaming companies go for just pure money we are screwed because everything will end up being a clone of WoW.

· Registered
5,949 Posts
If you just want money, cloning WoW is a bad idea unless you can make your WoW clone significantly, noticeably better than WoW. If it's not, people will just play WoW instead. A lot of companies have learned this the hard way.

In any case it doesn't matter. All the news coming out of FFXIV point to a different style of game.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
FFXI was pre-WoW and not really an EQ clone either. It had a lot of the Everquest elements but some differences too. For the longest time I'd have said that it was BETTER than WoW, but it has its flaws too. XIV does look like something very different, I'd guess a more Eastern-style of MMO character development and gameplay

As far as XIII on the 360, by all reports it looks like the PS3 has a bit of an edge. If you don't have a PS3 I'd be comfortable buying it on the 360, however. Square does have 360 experience (much more than their PS3 experience) and tend to be technically competent on consoles where other developers (hello Bioware!) are not.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.