AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ive got my Home theater narrowed down to two systems and im looking for what YOU would personally pick and WHY.

(Subwoofer is seperate and not included in this decision)

SYSTEM 1

Polk

RTi 8 for fronts

CSi5 for center

FXi5 for sides

RTi6 for rears

I can get all this brand new for $1100

OR

SYTEM 2

Ascend

340 for fronts

340c for center

170 for sides

170 for rears

All for $1400

What are your guys thoughts?

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to respond. I will be using this mainly for games and movies but music about 15% of the time.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ascends blew away any polk I ever heard.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
The Polk system you detailed has an MSRP of over $2300. Getting them all for $1100 seems to be a total steal. Have you heard the Polk system yet ?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
While the Polk RTi series is finished off with nice veneer, make sure you can listen to them before you buy them. Some call the sound bright. I never thought my RTi8s were bright when paired with a Pioneer Elite receiver. However, with some other receivers, these speakers might not pair so well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would go with the Polk's. That's mucho speaker for $1100. I haven't heard them, but I couldn't pass that deal without blinking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd take the Ascends, they are an amazing speaker setup.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang
Zach,

Did you go back to the Ascend forum and check the thread you started there?
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1238

Based on this link it looks like you already have the Polks. Are you trolling? If not I would go with the ascends. The just look cooler to me and they have a great following here.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I dont own the Polks. I was trying a different approach to see if id get some responses. Right now I have a HK AVR635 and 200 feet of 12 guage wire. No speakers yet.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
People tend to love the speakers they have, and Ascend and Polk owners are no different. Unless you get recommendations from people who've actually heard both, this is not much more than a popularity poll. In the final decision, YOU should be the one who listens to both and picks what he likes.

I have liked some Ascends I've heard and not liked others. I have liked some Polks I've heard and not liked others. I've liked fewer Ascends than Polks.

I've heard the Ascends you're considering, and I didn't like them very much, but the set up wasn't optimal and the dealer had a noisy demo area. Still, the JBL E Series down the aisle sounded better. There were no Polks to be heard there.

That's a great deal on the Polks, but getting a great deal is no bargain if you don't like what you bought after a few weeks of listening. Be sure you have the option to return whatever you buy if it sounds different/worse than you expected when you get it home.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ascend only makes 3 different speakers AND they are internet direct only. So which of the 3 didn't you like and which dealer do you demo them @?

Either you are confused about which manufacturer you are talking about or you are full of it.

Oh yeah, I just upgraded from the JBL E series to the Ascends and the Ascends are FAAAAAAR better then the JBL series, noticeable within 1st 2mn of listening in same room. (not that the JBL isn't great for the $$$).

No offense but, you never demo'd Ascend Acoustics!!!! Certainly not "Down the Aisle" from JBL's!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It's ok not to like something. He's not putting us down for owning the Ascends. He's just giving his impression. There's plenty o' people that like 'em, incl myself. Just don't expect everyone to like 'em.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboy
Either you are confused about which manufacturer you are talking about or you are full of it.

No offense but, you never demo'd Ascend Acoustics!!!! Certainly not "Down the Aisle" from JBL's!

Yeah, it's easy not to take offense at that. :rolleyes:

You're right that I confused the manufacturer, but thanks for being a gentleman about pointing it out. I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong, even under these circumstances. One of the things I always enjoy is the courteous way in which errors are corrected by good-spirited people.

I actually heard the entire Ascend line in Gardena, CA, about 10 miles from where I live. And you're right, there were no JBLs there. They sounded very nice.

I apologize to the thread starter for the confusion.

I hope mboy wasn't offended by this advice as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13
People tend to love the speakers they have, and Ascend and Polk owners are no different. Unless you get recommendations from people who've actually heard both, this is not much more than a popularity poll. In the final decision, YOU should be the one who listens to both and picks what he likes.

That's a great deal on the Polks, but getting a great deal is no bargain if you don't like what you bought after a few weeks of listening. Be sure you have the option to return whatever you buy if it sounds different/worse than you expected when you get it home.
because it's still relevant.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Me, nope, not offended @ all. Everyone likes to think their brand is the best to reaffirm their decision. I am happy with my Ascends for sure. Are they the best? I highly doubt it, but @ the price I think they are.

I just knew you could not have been talking about Ascends and did not want other's who are not as familiar with them to be misinformed by your post. Especially since you were pretty adamant on saying how much better the JBL and Polks were then the Ascends.

Could I have approached it differently, maybe.

I had the JBL's and for the $$$$, I think they are the best in their price range. Just as I feel the Ascends are the best in their Price range (which is 2xs higher).

I still think the Ascends are better then the Polks, or I would have bought the Polks myself.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have an older setup for my speakers. I have a pair of Infinity RS-5 mains, a CC3 Center, a BU120 Sub, and I need new surrounds. I'm almost finished with my dedicated theater and will use these speakers (with some cheaper infinity or Polks for rears) for a while since my budget went to the room and a new receiver.

Here is my question regarding Polk, Ascend, or any other brands:

Everyone says "listen to the speakers first". I am a firm believer in this as different people have different opinions on what sounds best. Some like brighter, some like bassier, etc. When I decide to upgrade speakers (probably in a a year), I want to be able to TEST various speakers in MY room with MY reciever, not at 3 different stores on different receivers. I feel all conditions must be the same when testing out the speakers for a true comparison. So, what is the best method of doing this? Can you talk stores into letting you bring home certain speakers to try them out in your own room? Since the Ascend is Internet direct, do they have any type of 30 day policy so we can test them out, and return them at no additional repackaging or shipping price? Crutchfield sales Polk and I plan on trying them out as well. I think Cruchfield has a 30 day trial period, but who else? The speakers I'd like to try out in my OWN room are the Ascends, Polk, Mirage and JM Lab. If anyone can tell me the best way to schmooz a store or internet dealer into a trial, please let me know. My biggest problem is the lack of stores in my area. I have Circuit City (Bla!!), Best Buy (Bla!!) and....hmmm...that's about it. I think there is one place that carries Klipsch, Definitive Technology and JM Labs that I would like to test.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley
Since the Ascend is Internet direct, do they have any type of 30 day policy so we can test them out, and return them at no additional repackaging or shipping price?
They have a 30 day policy, but you have to pay shipping. The shipping costs are pretty minimal if you are just trying a pair of speakers.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I guess I should have read their webpage first as I see that now.

This is the first time I've seen Ascends. Am I looking at this correctly......does the top of the line Ascend Mains look like Bookshelf speakers on stands? Do you have to order the stands separately?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.