AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay guys. This is my last thread before my big purchase. I wanted to get a list of suggestions from you guys on speakers all within one thread. I'm open to all suggestions. 

Receiver: Denon x4000

Subwoofer: SVS PB12-Plus

Room Size: 20x13 - open on one side of room, flows into breakfast nook and kitchen

Looking for: 

Front Left & Right - floor standing, in-wall, on-wall, bookshelf (that can be put on stands)

Center - boxed

Rear Surround - in-wall, on-wall 

Budget: For the five speakers, I'd like to stay around $1,500

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Ascend Acoustics

FR/FL: CMT-340SE

Center-CMT-340SE Center

Surrounds-CBM-170SE

Total: $1216 including shipping

Focal

FR/FL: 714V $720

Center: CC701/CC700V $360

Surrounds: 705V $350

Total: $1430+shipping from Music Direct

Check out Saturday Audio for PSB and Monitor Audio deals as well.

Reactions: AudioFlatz

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24525887

Ascend Acoustics

Center-CMT-340SE Center

Surrounds-CBM-170SE

Focal

All good suggestions

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24525887

Ascend Acoustics

Center-CMT-340SE Center

Surrounds-CBM-170SE

Focal

I like what I see from those ascend acoustics. Keep the suggestions rolling!

By the way, the system will be primarily for movies and video games.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24525988

I like what I see from those ascend acoustics. Keep the suggestions rolling!

By the way, the system will be primarily for movies and video games.

That would be a nice setup with the Ascends with six 6.5" drivers aimed at you from the front soundstage.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
+1

Either of these setups will be great for movies, games, or music (incidentally movies and games have a lot of music, a good speaker is a good speaker). The Ascends will have great output and dynamics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526020

+1

Either of these setups will be great for movies, games, or music (incidentally movies and games have a lot of music, a good speaker is a good speaker). The Ascends will have great output and dynamics.

So just out if curiosity, what would set these aside from say the Klipsch Reference series or the JBL L series? I was recommended those as well.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Well, with the Klipsch it's the horn tweeter that has a lot to do with characterizing their sound. Generally, people either hate them or love them. The JBL L series and the Studio series are both supposed to be very good although I have not listened to the L series personally. JBLs are generally very accurate like the Ascends.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526062

Well, with the Klipsch it's the horn tweeter that has a lot to do with characterizing their sound. Generally, people either hate them or love them. The JBL L series and the Studio series are both supposed to be very good although I have not listened to the L series personally. JBLs are generally very accurate like the Ascends.

Well what sucks about pittsburgh is that there aren't many places that are specialty stores to go and listen to these products. That's why I'm having so much trouble deciding and asking for suggestions.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you use the package builder on Ascends website you can get the 340's and 170's cheaper. You can also get the Sierra-1's for L/C/R and 170's for rears right at $1500 before shipping. I've heard these have way better sound quality than the 340's and you can also order the Sierra 2 upgrade kit later on if you come across more funds. From what I hear, the Sierra 2 is one of the best bookshelves around and there's hardly anything that can touch it in it's price range. Many people have made much more bold statements than that one too about that speaker.. Worth looking into as no other speaker company offers that kind upgrade feature.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
I understand. Ascend Acoustics does offer a 30-day guarantee so you can return them if you don't like them. Although, you would have to pay return shipping. In-home auditions are the best way to evaluate speakers but that's not feasible for everyone of course. Many of the internet direct companies offer some sort of 30-45 day listening period.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526100

If you use the package builder on Ascends website you can get the 340's and 170's cheaper. You can also get the Sierra-1's for L/C/R and 170's for rears right at $1500 before shipping. I've heard these have way better sound quality than the 340's and you can also order the Sierra 2 upgrade kit later on if you come across more funds. From what I hear, the Sierra 2 is one of the best bookshelves around and there's hardly anything that can touch it in it's price range. Many people have made much more bold statements than that one too about that speaker.. Worth looking into as no other speaker company offers that kind upgrade feature.

I actually used the package builder to generate that price which includes shipping. The Sierras are definitely a better speaker (I own a pair) but I think the 340s would be fine for mostly games/movies.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:

Ascend Acoustics

Center-CMT-340SE Center

Surrounds-CBM-170SE

Focal

How much better are the Focals compared to the Polk RTI12/A9?

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526100

How do you get to the package builder for cheaper prices? I see the package systems page, but I'm unable to see the prices you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtophoto  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526369

Quote:

How do you get to the package builder for cheaper prices? I see the package systems page, but I'm unable to see the prices you mentioned.

You need to make your speaker selections from the drop down boxes and then hit the | Calculate | button at the bottom left of the table.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

Alternately, you can add all speakers to the shopping cart and the discounts will be shown above the total.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR  /t/1524177/final-speaker-suggestions#post_24526397

You need to make your speaker selections from the drop down boxes and then hit the | Calculate | button at the bottom left of the

Alternately, you can add all speakers to the shopping cart and the discounts will be shown above the total.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate you showing me that. Those are some good prices. I'm going to seriously consider these.

So what makes ascend such a good brand? To be honest, I haven't heard of them (remind you, this is my first non boxed system)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, so far I'm seeing the most preference to Ascend and JBL. Not so much preference to Klipsch.

What about any boston acoustics, def tech, paradigm, triad, etc?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts