AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of people ask this but i have never done a HTPC before and i think this isnt a bad set up. I know it could be better but i was on a little bit of a budgets but some input would be much appreciated.(budget is about 1000)

GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP 85.99

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 49.50

Transcend 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 33.99

AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe ATSC/NTSC/QAM 79.99

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W 69.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM 59.99

Logitech EX 110 Black USB + PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse 29.99

LITE-ON Black 6X Blu-Ray DVD ROM & 16X DVD±R 104.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 99.99

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black 79.99

VL System M-Play Blast - 5.25" Black w/ Blue VFD 89.99

Logisys Deluxe 5.25in Multi Function Panel 31.99

Total with tax and shipping is about 933.76

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The Gigabtye GA-E7AUM-DS2H (Nvida 9400) or the Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H (Intel G45) are better HTPC boards (IMO). They are Intel boards 0 which I prefer over AMD.

I suggest you get a bigger hard drive. If your going to rip movies to the HD, 500MB will fill up fast. 1TB drives are not much more expensive.

Have you read through the "guide to building a HTPC" at the top of the forum?

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about using the geforce 8300 chipset, not a fan of intel plus they are to expensive compared to AMD. All the reviews i have read say it is a good chip set for an htpc. I am going to start by using the IGP the im going to upgrade to a HD 3870 or better later on, trying to keep it semi cheap. I am also going to slowly start buying 1TB hds when the funds are avalible.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGoneMad /forum/post/15422456

I know alot of people ask this but i have never done a HTPC before and i think this isnt a bad set up. I know it could be better but i was on a little bit of a budgets but some input would be much appreciated.(budget is about 1000)

I think your choices are mostly fine, but you should elaborate on your intentions for more thorough input.

Regardless, I would change the CPU to a low power 45W dual core AMD Athlon X2 4850e . The 4850e is only $6 more than the 5000+ and has better thermals, while only losing 100MHz. You can upgrade to the 45nm quad Phenoms later in 2009 if you want.

As CountryBumkin said, if you're planning on ripping movies to the hard drive, you'll need a lot more disk space, if not, then the 500GB is fine. Personally, I like to run a smaller HDD for the OS/Boot and another larger drive for data. (I use an 80GB OS/Boot drive and 320GB data drive)

Are you going to use OTA reception or QAM?

I'd never heard of that VFD before, but it looks interesting.

While nobody will argue Intel has the better performing parts for all out performance, that metric is rarely needed in a HTPC. Many (I'd venture to guess "most") HTPCs don't need to be high-performance powerhouses that one would expect from a gaming or video editing machine. They need to run cool, quiet and have high performance/power consumption/cost ratios. I like AMD over Intel in the HTPC space for all of these reasons. It's the ancillary metrics on motherboards that are so important for HTPCs - things like connectivity, audio options, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/15422664

I would not build a HTPC around the 780 or 790 chipset. (been there, done that)

The new Nvidia 9300 or 9400 much much better, or you can always go with a cheap board and add a 4*** ati card.

Could you elaborate why you feel this way?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I second the others comments on going with the 9300/9400 gpu motherboard, I'm using the P5N7A-VM about 30 bucks more then the mb you have spec'ed out. Thats going to handle any HD content you throw at it and wont use as much CPU power

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytoronto /forum/post/15422664

I would not build a HTPC around the 780 or 790 chipset. (been there, done that)

The new Nvidia 9300 or 9400 much much better, or you can always go with a cheap board and add a 4*** ati card.

780 works great for HTPC. I don't have any HD quality issues with the MSI 7411 board based upon 780.

There are thousands of people happily using the Gbyte board based upon 780.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGoneMad /forum/post/15423486

What about using the geforce 8300 chipset, not a fan of intel plus they are to expensive compared to AMD. All the reviews i have read say it is a good chip set for an htpc. I am going to start by using the IGP the im going to upgrade to a HD 3870 or better later on, trying to keep it semi cheap. I am also going to slowly start buying 1TB hds when the funds are avalible.

Mike, your choices are fine. Don't mind the FUD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.