AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am narrowing down my speaker choices for a new home theater setup. Here are the choices:

Klipsch Reference Series : RF7ii towers, and all matching center and surrounds

B&W CM Series

Focal Chorus Series - either 700 or 800

Definitive Technology - Mythos Series

I am looking for the most transparent accurate sound that is smooth, and dynamic. No coloration or booming unbalanced freq range.

What are your favorites of this bunch?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I have the most experience with Klipsch and their higher end speakers are fantastic.

Though I have not heard the RF7iis in person, what I have heard from others has been very positive.

B&W, not familiar with the CM series although I have gotten to listen to the 800 and 600 series a lot and have been thoroughly impressed.

Never heard of Focal Chorus.

DefTech, I really haven't heard much of their stuff but it seems many folks really enjoy them.

Frankly these type of comparison threads get bogged down by ownership bias. So the answer to your inquiry may not be particularly specific or concise. Perhaps a consensus can be reached from averaging the responses.

Number one recommendation is to demo them in person, assuming it is possible. Everyone hears differently and have differing preferences even from ideally reference performance. Also EQing with the receiver will make most quality speakers sound excellent in many spaces.

Good Luck

KvE

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckett /forum/post/20806325

Hello all,

I am narrowing down my speaker choices for a new home theater setup. Here are the choices:

Klipsch Reference Series : RF7ii towers, and all matching center and surrounds

B&W CM Series

Focal Chorus Series - either 700 or 800

Definitive Technology - Mythos Series

I am looking for the most transparent accurate sound that is smooth, and dynamic. No coloration or booming unbalanced freq range.

What are your favorites of this bunch?

I'm only responding to this post because you specify exactly what you are looking for - smooth, with no coloration or unbalanced freq. response. I hate to complicate matters, but IMO you should listen to some PSB's from both the Image and the Imagine series. Amazing value for the $.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Personal experience with B&W (CM and 800 line) and DT Mythos. I felt the B&W were a bit more smooth or flat overall. I noted on the Mythos the bass was superbe with the built in subs to help the bottom, but I'd still have a separate sub to optimize the placement. The issue came up with one of my go to audition songs that I'd been playing repeatedly for female vocals at numerous shops and in my home during speaker auditions...Pink Floyd Great Gig in the Sky. On the Mythos the Piano totally came out and almost completely shaded the female voices. My wife and buddy were there and both immediately commented before I got my words out. The speakers had been impressing me so far on other material, holding their own against Mirage, Aperion, all in the room, plus much time with B&W CM, 600 and 800 in shops. But when I heard THAT song, I was immediately turned off. Had I not heard that song on them, I'd quite likely have a set of these with their minimal footprint, high volume capability, great bass adjustment, etc. So, I eventually worked towards B&W more, then eventually up their line into the 800 line to the 803D eventually. Love them every minute they're on.

Suggestions:

Get what speakers you can in your home for listening/audition.

Take notes on auditions sessions, both in home and in shops. You'll never remember it all once home or later in another shop.

Don't hesitate to repeatedly return to shops for further listening.

Move yourself and the speakers around the audition rooms to fully understand the speaker, versus room dynamics.

Enjoy the process, and discover new music along the way from suggestions of shop employees.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Focal Chorus, esp the 800 series, are my favorite of the bunch (and no owner bias here). Surely better than B&W CM as well as Mythos. Haven't heard the Klipsch.

Have you considered some of the ID brands? Salk SongTowers in that range are much better than Focal, B&W and Mythos, and I am sure Klipsch as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a pair of CM-7's. They love a lot of power and can sound really good if you place them on a solid foundation, spiked into the floor or subfloor.

They image well and have bass, although not much below 40hz. They sound great if setup. The new CM-10 is awesome. You'd need a Focal 1028be if the CM-10 doesn't do it for you.

The Focal Electra floor standers are really nice. The beryllium tweeter is far better than the diamond tweeters that B&W uses in their 8Series.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.