AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony HX900. I've been having trouble finalizing a disc. I get a message saying can not finalize, check disc. Am I doing something wrong, or does this mean the disc that I am using is somehow faulty. If this is the case, what brand of recordable disc do you recommend for use with a Sony HX900? Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It pays to stick with good media. If you buy a 100-pack of cheap discs because you figure you're saving money even if you have a few that don't work, you're probably in for a rude awakening. Out of that 100-pack, for every disk that couldn't be used, you probably have at least as many disks that you think burned OK but in fact were just barely "good enough". Those disks will probably fail sometime in the not-too-distant future.

If you're burning the stuff to DVD it probably means you want to keep it. If you want to keep it then buy discs that don't give you any burn problems - otherwise you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Of the two disc that failed, one was a Maxell and the other was a TDK. ( both DVD-R ) I assumed these would be quality disc...perhaps not.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Tom713, the prime suspect in all these cases is the media. Like Sean said, many people, especially new recorder owners, see buying cheap media as a way of saving money not realizing that, in blank DVD media more than in a lot of things, buying cheap gets you trash. Since you have identified the media, and the brands are okay by most standards, it now looks like some other, less obvious cause.

There are web sites that list recorders and brands that do better with those brands and models. I don't have the web site right now, but if you cannot find it with Google, I'm sure someone here will post it.

How long have you had the machine? Where did you get it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Some cheap media is definitely not good. However, cheap is not always bad and expensive is not always good. The Taiyo-Yuden discs are inexpensive, but are also some of the best media you can buy. When I used Memorex discs which cost a lot more I had problems with more than half the discs in the package. On the other hand the Staples discs which I bought for only $7.94 for 25 were the worst discs I've ever encountered.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurkey
Some cheap media is definitely not good. However, cheap is not always bad and expensive is not always good. The Taiyo-Yuden discs are inexpensive, but are also some of the best media you can buy. When I used Memorex discs which cost a lot more I had problems with more than half the discs in the package. On the other hand the Staples discs which I bought for only $7.94 for 25 were the worst discs I've ever encountered.
Price isn't the issue - consistency is. I've heard that Memorex buys discs from various manufacturers, that's why you never know what you're getting.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Check your manual. It may recommend a certain brand and speed of discs. Or, go to videohelp.com. They have a list of media and which discs work with which recorder. Finally, as mentioned above Taiyo Yuden are considered the best followed by Verbatim movie reel and made in Japan Maxell, Fuji, Sony. Go to Rima.com or my favorite...Supermediastore.com for the best prices.

BTW... I've encountered few repetitive problems with all media listed above including TDK, Ritek, Imation and Memorex.

Finally...If your getting can't finalize disc a lot, maybe the recorder needs servicing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to try some of the brands of media that have been mentioned. I just hope this is the problem and not my DVD recorder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.