AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah not taking up the room in your case is nice....but.... the noise and heat generated from most gaming cards is no good for HTPC use

I could see this being handy for a modded shuttle box though (cut a hole in the side right where the fan is to allow all cool air in for it). Noisy, yes, but a cool ass little HTPC / Gaming box.... hell yeah

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, that's what I used to think before I bought a Zotac 8800GT AMP Edition . I had low expectations... but surprisingly, no sound or heating issues at all; even under very heavy use. I'm definitely not an HTPC newbie (First HTPC was in 1997 with an ATI Rage Fury... also single-slotted) for DVD playback; so, I've seen what works and what doesnt; and dual-slotted designs are not absolutely necessary; unless, the HTPC case has poor ventilation to begin with coupled with an uncomfortably warm room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari /forum/post/14224672

Yeah not taking up the room in your case is nice....but.... the noise and heat generated from most gaming cards is no good for HTPC use

I could see this being handy for a modded shuttle box though (cut a hole in the side right where the fan is to allow all cool air in for it). Noisy, yes, but a cool ass little HTPC / Gaming box.... hell yeah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts