AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The jury has decided but i though it looked good but sounded good in particular so i changed the title of this thread. I can't help being a Star Wars fan even though the movie in itself is average......Once an addict, always an addict :)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
While EP1 is good in places it is also very poor in others. At times the film is either noisy, soft and lacks detail and sometimes all the above at once. EE is also very evident thoughout the film, but that doesn't bother me as much as the noise and softness. There are some parts of the transfer that are very good though.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeffy,

did you see EP1 via the ATI 4.1 player?

Yes there are some imperfect areas on the DVD just like Gladiator or any other DVD where some minor noise as well as jitter will be evident on some scenes. The video for the most part is first rate from what i have seen on my projector though. Did i mention the audio? :)

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
I watched TPM last night using the ATI 4.1 player. It was very good, but not what I would have expected from George Lucas. I agree that some parts looked fantastic, while others looked soft. I thought my projector needed tuning, but then I watched The Fifth Element Superbit and it was crystal clear. The sound quality of TPM was very good, though the center channel dialog was too soft in some spots. All in all, I give it a B+ and was a little disappointed, as I expected an A from this title.

BTW, I was viewing it on a 9" Electrohome CRT, so my display device certainly is up to the task :)

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The excessive amount of EE on this title is very distracting. Halos are everywhere. Excessive EE actually hides real picture detail.

IMHO, the latest reference quality DVD is the superbit version of The Fifth Element.

Viewed on my Radeon PCI card with ******* software DVD player, on an ISF calibrated Panasonic 56" HDTV.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You've got to be kidding! This is FAR from being reference quality. Talk about edge enhancement hell! This is one of the worst major releases in recent memory.

I also use a Radeon HTPC with the ATI player 4.1, to a Marquee 8000 FPTV.

For a thorough demonstration (including screenshots) of this disc's picture quality (or lack thereof) read this review .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hmm, I've been debating whether to pick up this title; on the one hand, I want to encourage Star Wars on DVD (the *real* Star Wars, please?), but on the other hand, I really don't feel like giving that #$%! Lucas another penny. If the quality of this release is merely average, that might be the deciding factor for me. Wasn't his whole excuse for not bringing Star Wars to DVD earlier that he wanted to do it right the first time? Who wants to bet there'll be a Special Edition re-release of this one about the time the next discs come out?

Ugh, I am utterly disgusted with Lucas and his tactics. Unless Ep.II is renamed "The Death of JarJar", I'm not sure I even want to see it.

But I'm not bitter! ;)

ObOnTopic: Anyone have any trouble playing this disc with WinDVD or another player? How about the extras?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have to chime in. Usually I don't bother looking for EE on most major titles. It doesn't show that much on my lowly 40" RPTV. However, this time I was really surprised how much it showed, even without very close examination.

I watched it on my Radeon HTPC, with ATI 4.1 player. Yes, the sound is impressive. Yes, the picture is good most of the times (much better than on Hong Kong version :)), but the super-duper, THX certified Edge Enhancement is somwhat disappointing.

Leszek.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___I wanted to reply as well …

___I have to say that I love the films Gladiator and TFE, as their reference disc qualities have certainly been mentioned many times in the past as well as the films are really great IMO. With Superbit DVD’s from decent films today, why did Lucas release TPM with such a poor transfer? Even if this film was the best transfer – reference quality disc available, the movie … How can I put it more bluntly …. Hmmm … It sucks ;) Why Lucas did not go to Superbit is beyond me but than again, I can see them re-releasing it in Superbit in a few months when sales wane and than again when HD-DVD’s are made available to use if ever …

___A bit OT since I have not followed the Superbit releases but is the Columbia-Tri-Star label the only ones releasing SB DVD’ or is it an open format for all studio’s to take advantage of? A link would be nice as well for those that follow this …

___Thanks in advance

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Although FOX should be congratulated for excellent releases on DVD, TPM is downright horrible. The PQ is full of edge enhancement and even though some scenes look very good, overall the experience is totally limp. The audio is very good at times (Pod Race) but it does not save this DVD from be relegated to my pile of discs I will probably never watch again.

Lucas is now relying totally on a formula. The three episodes he has now had full control over are the same story just repackaged. You've got the princess/queen in danger, the hero who comes of age (admittedly, Anikin is only a kid but he does discover his talent) and the simultaneous space and ground battle. There's even the goofy music/parade/pomp number at the end. C'mon how about something a little different? And then again there's Jar-Jar! What is this man thinking.

There is one other thing that was really getting tiresome as I sat through this in a state of semi-catatonia. Why is there the need to have an intrusive, ever present, musical score playing in the background of every scene? Is it because Lucas knew that the only way to stir emotion in this drek is to constantly attempt to create mood with music. Watch it again, if you can bear it. Every scene is wrestled from the viewer with this maniplation of the emotions. It is almost like a laugh track in a sitcom.

I AM LUCAS, YOU ARE IN MY CONTROL. MY MOVIE SUCKS, BUT I WLLL CONTROL YOU FOR TWO HOURS, AND FORCE YOU TO BUY MY ACTION FIGURES.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Power,

Interesting comments, my experience was quite different on an 8" CRT. The only thing I would call reference quality is the soundtrack. Not even the ATI player can TPM look reference quality. While there are some scenes that look nice any high contrast transitions are halo city from excessive EE which includes most of the outdoor footage. I noticed that the picture was also soft and lacking detail in places. I wonder if this wasn't why someone decided to apply so much edge enhancement.

Out of the 200+ discs I own this is the first one where the deleted scenes actually look better than the movie itself.

I loved the new THX trailer so much I ripped it to my hard disk and am now using startup sequence for the ATI player.

Wayne, when will the ***** player be unmasked :)

Steve

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith

Out of the 200+ discs I own this is the first one where the deleted scenes actually look better than the movie itself.
LOL!

I can't say I've seen any edge-enhancement, but then I've only seen the DVD on a 17" Iiyama :) However, I agree with a lot of ESantos' comments about there being a 'formula'. To be honest, I'm a sucker for a hero-meets-heroine-saves-heroine-shoot-em-up etc. film, and overall I'm happy with The Phantom Menace. What you have to remember is that Episodes 4,5 and 6 were made first because they have the better story (Ok, so Empire Strikes back drags somewhat, but it's still pretty good).

However, I do believe that Lucas & Co. has relied too much on computer generated sequences. It just looks totally fake. It looked fake in the cinema, and it looks fake on my monitor. BAsically, a long way from perfect. The soundtrack however, shakes the house big-time (and I'm using a set of Ruark VITA 100's - not the biggest speakers in the world). The soundtrack is easily equal to The Haunting, which I hold as the 'demo' disc for my speakers.

Right, I'm off to strangle Jar(head) Jar Binks :)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
There is just far to much film grain on this movie for my tastes. . . Lucas had to go back in and ADD it because the movie was shot digitally. . . there is no way that much grain should have been there. I don't mind a little, but the amounts it had was very annoying. . . I don't remember seeing that much on the VHS. I think the clarity of the DVD brought it out.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chap
There is just far to much film grain on this movie for my tastes. . . Lucas had to go back in and ADD it because the movie was shot digitally. . .
What gave you that idea? The majority of Episode I was shot on film, just like most other movies. According to Lucas himself, there were only "a couple of shots" that were done with HD video. Episode II is the one that's being done entirely with 1080p/24 HD cameras.

I didn't notice that much grain on my system. EE it's another story, though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Steve,

Quote:
I loved the new THX trailer so much I ripped it to my hard disk and am now using startup sequence for the ATI player.
I love the THX trailer as well. In what way do you use it as a startup sequence for the ATI player? Starting the File Player with the VOB in a script before the ATI player starts?

Regards

Bjoern

·
Registered
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bjoern Roy
I love the THX trailer as well. In what way do you use it as a startup sequence for the ATI player? Starting the File Player with the VOB in a script before the ATI player starts?
Hi Bjoern,

Yep, I wrote a script that uses fileplayer to play the vob, then it waits a specified time until the trailers done playing, then it starts up the DVD player with 0ire settings applied. Email me if you want a copy.

I'm working on a more complex scheme where I can randomize between a number of diffferent trailers automatically. I'm getting tripped up on determining how to adjust the length of time to wait before loading the DVD player. It varies based on the trailer as they are all different lengths.

Steve

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks Steve,

how does the Fileplayer interact with YXY and aspect ratio control management in general. Haven't tried that one. How do you do it?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I haven't tried using yxy with the fileplayer. It would certainly complicate matters. I'm running 1280x720 and found some reg entries for the file player that force it to start fullscreen in widescreen mode.

Steve

·
Registered
833 Posts
Since this is completely off-topic here, i will contact you by mail.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Maybe i am blind. But where does the new board show the email adress? Its not in the profile or anywhere?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.