AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It comes tuesday. But now I want to learn some stuff to be ready for when it actually comes.

1. I've never had a QAM tuner. I believe this TV comes with one? How does it work? Will it still work after they stopped OTA? Will I get HD channels?

2. When do I turn 120Hz on/off? Do I just keep it on for bluray/sports and then turn it off?

3. when I want to wipe dust off the bezel, what should I use? anti static wipes?

4. How about the screen? Are anti static wipes safe?

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
257 Posts
1. A QAM tuner allows you to tune into unscrambled cable channels without a cable box. Cable companies are required to send the local broadcast channels (those you could get over the air) unscrambled. If you have cable running into your home, you can connect it up to the QAM tuner and see what you get. If you're not a cable subscriber of any sort, you probably "shouldn't" get anything, but lots of people find that, even without subscribing to cable, dozens of channels are coming in over QAM.

2. The tv is always set to 120hz - meaning that is refreshing 120 times per second. What you're talking about is Samsung's "Auto Motion Plus," which has separate adjustments for blur and judder. Too early in the morning to write a full exposition on these subjects. Most people think the blur reduction is a good thing and keep it turned up all the time. Judder is a different animal. Start turning it up and you get a "soap opera," 3D look. Some people love it and others hate it. My wife has an instant and very strong aversion to the smoother judder settings for scripted programming (sitcoms, dramas, movies, etc.). Personally, I kind of like it for sports and computer-generated animated programming (Pixar, etc.). I agree with my wife that it's horrible for scripted programming. We tried it on The Office on Thursday. I thought it might work with the hand-held documentary-style filming of that show, but was dead wrong.

3 & 4. The TV comes with some type of cleaning cloth, but I haven't opened or used it yet. You're right to want to be cautious here.

There is a huge separate thread for B650 owners. Might be best to ask future questions in that forum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The QAM tuner often picks up many of the subchannels broadcast OTA, but really has nothing to do with OTA. They also never shut off OTA, by the way - just switched to sending digital signals OTA whereas in recent years, most stations were broadcasting both digital and analog signals over the air. If you're picking up your local affiliates with a QAM tuner, you probably will get the HD channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts