AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some background on my experience with the Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=dazian
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...22#post1784922

The one big change since I wrote those posts is that I returned the HS10 and settled on a NEC HT1000. The NEC is brighter then a calibrated/filtered/tweaked HS10 so the low gain aspect of the Celtic Cloth isn't an issue up to about 96" wide, IMO. My room has decent but not perfect light control.

My biggest unknown in those earlier posts was whether the back reflections were hurting contrast. After some experimenting with backing materials I concluded that it's not a factor with my current room configuration. My screen is free hanging about 4 feet in front of a black wall. The far greater problem in my room is the white ceiling. My next project is to fix that. When the ceiling is scattering less light I may then discover the back reflections to be noticable. But based on my experimentation I don't expect it to be much of an issue. However, I would not want to use this fabric mounted on a light colored wall without using a backing material.

My primary reason for this post is because I've had a few people ask me how I built the frame. I just did that this past weekend and it worked very well. I lack the skills/tools/motivation to build my own frame from raw materials so I ordered heavy duty canvas stretchers and some special pliars for the job (don't skimp, get the pliars). Google produces a number of sites with instructions on stretching the fabric.

I was worried that it would be difficult to get the fabric stretched taut but it turned out to be simple. My wife helped me and we did the whole job, including assembling the frame, in about an hour. I was also worried that the stretchers wouldn't be strong enough and it would sag. This didn't prove to be a problem either.

To give a finsihed look I bought 2" wide Duvetyne tape. This turned out to be the least successful part of the project. First of all, I should have bought 4" wide tape so I could wrap it around the side to cover the stapled, white fabric. Also, the adhesive on this tape isn't very good and it keeps falling off. I'm going to have to redo it using my own glue to keep it attached.

Thought this info might help others. Overall, I'm thrilled with the screen. For about $150 I have a screen that looks great and is (mostly) acoustically transparent.

-Dylan

·
Registered
499 Posts
good job on the screen, I made one out of some 2x2's that were a $1.50 each. I have the matte white dazian material, I attached them w/some metal brackets, I didn't even have to support it or anything, it did bow and sway if I picked it up, but I mounted it to my wall w/some L brackets, it is very sturdy and I'm quite happy. I also bought a big piece of Duvetyne from Rose brand for only about $30 and stapled it flat to the wall w/the screen, it isn't exactly velvet drapery but it does the job, when I turn out the lights my black speakers disappear, and the image is just floating in air, very cool. One thing I should mention is that the ultra black wall makes the blacks of my L300 look a bit worse than they already are, I might try that rope light around the edge of the screen thing to help that but I'm still quite happy w/the look. I'll get some pictures up pretty soon if anyones interested.

I just want to let you everyone know that you don't NEED to have a ton of experience to be relatively sucessful, I'm only 20, have a limited amount of time and have 0 experience w/this sort of thing. I've seen some pretty complicated DIY frames out here and personally they intimidated me, but I gave it a shot and it seems to be working out. So for about $70 one could get the screen material, the wood, the brackets/screws, and the black material.

·
Registered
499 Posts
oh and how do you plan on fixing the ceiling? Are you just going to paint it, or use some sort of fabric? Do you have any creative ideas on this. When I think about it, it just seems like it will look funny to have a piece of fabric, or section painted on the ceiling.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a pretty weird ceiling in my basement already. The prior owner of the house removed the 1950's era ceiling tile, stuffed the joists with insulation and then made a new ceiling from off white fabric and stained wood strips. So I'm going to cover up the entire ceiling with 28 yards of Duvetyne and paint the wood strips flat black. I like to call the basement my cave and now it really will be.

If I had normal drywall ceiling and walls I'd probably paint the whole room a dark color. I'd be partial to something like a midnight blue that looks like you are staring up at the night sky. My friend painted his entire HT a crimson red that looks gorgeous.

-Dylan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.