AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few years of looking, I finally got around to building my first HTPC a few months back. Although this is my first post here, have been lurking for years. While my current A/V setup is mid-range level I have some nice components. However my old Sony 400 disk DVD player was just not very easy to use or to keep in sync.

I had a case and a mb left over from a recent upgrade of my gaming rig. So I decided to put together the parts and order some new based on things I read here. So thanks to a bunch of the posters here that I have read and also to the authors of the stickys and various guides.

I am still loading my collection onto the system, may take a while, 500+ DVDs. The only issue with this setup is that the case is a bit noisy and heavy. Hope to put it behind my component rack to maybe cut down on the noise a little.

Case: Antec P180
MB: Asus Blitz Formula (P35)
CPU: Intel E7300 (Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz)
Memory: 4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Video: Asus EAH4670
Network: Linksys WMP110
HD: Maxtor SATA 120GB (boot disk)
Media Disk: 4x1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) in Raid 5
Remote: Antec Mult-Station EZ Ext IR receiver, Logitech Harmony One
Optical Drive: LG BluRay (SATA)
MCE: Media Portal

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum KellyB5fan and congrats! Maybe you wouldnt mind sharing with us what you plan to use your HTPC for. Is it just going to playback old fashioned archived DVDs? Now might be a good time to actually do the same thing; but with blu-ray movies; especially since you have a blu-ray rom. Do you watch cable/satellite TV with it or listen to satellite/internet radio with it? Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyB5fan /forum/post/17030937

After a few years of looking, I finally got around to building my first HTPC a few months back. Although this is my first post here, have been lurking for years. While my current A/V setup is mid-range level I have some nice components. However my old Sony 400 disk DVD player was just not very easy to use or to keep in sync.

I had a case and a mb left over from a recent upgrade of my gaming rig. So I decided to put together the parts and order some new based on things I read here. So thanks to a bunch of the posters here that I have read and also to the authors of the stickys and various guides.

I am still loading my collection onto the system, may take a while, 500+ DVDs. The only issue with this setup is that the case is a bit noisy and heavy. Hope to put it behind my component rack to maybe cut down on the noise a little.

Case: Antec P180
MB: Asus Blitz Formula (P35)
CPU: Intel E7300 (Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz)
Memory: 4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Video: Asus EAH4670
Network: Linksys WMP110
HD: Maxtor SATA 120GB (boot disk)
Media Disk: 4x1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) in Raid 5
Remote: Antec Mult-Station EZ Ext IR receiver, Logitech Harmony One
Optical Drive: LG BluRay (SATA)
MCE: Media Portal

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I just built my first as well from an old rig. Running Media Portal too. I love it so far! I too have my collection to rip, although it is much smaller than yours and I am likely not going to rip all of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started out just wanting a place to archive all my DVDs so that they would not get ruined by my kids taking them in/out of the 400 disk changer. I will end up with a media server for play back only for movies, music, pictures and home video. I don't have a tv card for it but I do use a Pinnacle Movie Box (very old) to get our home movies converted.

We are planning to buy/build a new house later this year. If we build then one of the rooms will be a home theater and I will use this rig as a back bone for it. As for Blu Ray, have a player (Sharp Aquos) but it is slow. Actually get better playback from the LG player on the htpc. My BR collection is starting to grow and I will at some point have to do the same thing with them but will not have much room left after the DVDs are converted. Hmm, maybe that will be a good time to upgrade my HDs to 2TB each.

After I finish the DVD movies, I have several TV series on DVD that I will tackle next. Have tried a couple of disks, but have not had very much luck yet with seperating the shows out into any meaningful order.

Will try to post a few pics of the build and finished product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.