AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I've been lurking for a long time, dreaming about my very own home theater setup for years. Finally, the time has come. I was impressed with how so many here are knowledgeable and willing to help the newbies. I have read and studied quite a bit here, but questions still remain.

After much reading, I'm going to go with

Infocus X1 (unless I find out I can see the rainbow)

Onkyo HTS660B receiver/speaker,

and an existing old Athlon 1.4GHz PC with Radeon 7000 and Audigy. Pretty modest, I must admit, but it still qualifies as a HT setup... I think.

The first question. The PJ is in the livingroom, and the PC is in the bedroom directly above. Depending on where I locate the PC, the VGA cable from the PC to X1 needs to be either 6ft or 50ft. Is the cable length an issue? Or should I go with another type of cabling?

Second: The audio feed can be either a single coax digital or 6 analogs. I have read that the Audigy will output 5.1 sound through the digital port only if the audio source is AC3 or DTS to begin with. So, am I out of luck with WMV contents, or will I just hear stereo?

Third: After studying a bit at www.lsdinc.com, I realized that I probably cannot run cables inside the wall (down from the bedroom to the livingroom) because I have no way of drilling through that 2x4 lumber inside the wall. (If I get a 2 ft drill bit, perhaps I can, but I am afraid of ripping through the insulation.) So, I'm thinking of drilling through the bedroom floor down to the livingroom ceiling. Is this a bad idea? Is there something I can do to the ceiling to enhance the visual appearance?

Thank you very much for you help. I'm a semiconductor laser engineer, so my professional experience probably will not help anyone here. However, I hope to learn quickly and help other newbies in return.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.