AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me being a proud owner of some high priced headsets with a mixamp. I've found them pretty useless to really use them as they worked with the 360. It's been confirmed by multiple sources that the March Update is bringing Dolby Digital to XBOX One. In perfect time for Titanfall.... Check the pic...

·
UHD Addict
38,975 Posts
HDMI audio has legacy DD and DTS bitstreaming. I tried a couple of Blu-ray Discs. There was no bitstreaming of the advanced audio codecs. When bitstreaming was enabled it just bitstreamed legacy DD and DTS.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I was all excited as I have the new March Update installed and went to audio, but then got sad.

Saw they flipped the Audio into the middle and video fidelity to the right under "Display & sound". Okay. Something changed.

Then saw the options under HDMI audio changed and noticed..."Bitstream Out".
Thought I was in business until I checked it.

When checked, it then opens up a previously grayed out box under "bitstream format". I have two options which is DTS Digital Surround and then Dolby Surround.

So...basically, they added "Dolby Surround" and put it under bitstream section as DTS already existed. My Marantz 8801 immediately picks up on the stream when I select the various options. I see...

Multi Ch In 7.1 which is 7.1 uncompressed on Xbox One

DTS Surround. which is Bitstream with DTS Digital Surround picked

Dolby Digital which is Bitstream with Dolby Digital picked

Why can't we get a Bitstream of advanced audio codecs?!? Can't be that hard! Right?

·
UHD Addict
38,975 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with PCM being output. But it needs to be in 96Khz when a 96Khz track is being played and it also needs to dynamically change the number output channels to match the number input channels. Otherwise there can be dead channels in a 7.1 wrapper which prevents post processing being applied properly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok so I have a denon 7.1 receiver and only a 5.1 speaker setup so I have been using 5.1 uncompressed this whole time, is that what I should continue to run? I feel if I use DD or DTS through BITSTREAM OUT ill only be able to decide one or the other

·
UHD Addict
38,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siciliano611  /t/1520004/finally-dolby-digital-via-optical-hdmi#post_24417657

Ok so I have a denon 7.1 receiver and only a 5.1 speaker setup so I have been using 5.1 uncompressed this whole time, is that what I should continue to run? I feel if I use DD or DTS through BITSTREAM OUT ill only be able to decide one or the other

That's fine. but if you play any stereo content you need to switch the output to 2.0 pcm. Otherwise the 2.0 audio will be sent in a 5.1 wrapper and you will only get audio from the FL/FR channels since post processing can't be applied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah the lack of real bitstreaming sucks but lets be honest...it would be an insane amount of work for little benefit...they need to output a consistent audio signal on the xbox. Lets say you are in tv which is dolby digital and then jump to halo 5 which is true hd and then to a cd that is stereo uncompressed...it wouldn't work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts