AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its been a long time wait, much longer than I wanted, but the car broke down and was over $700 to fix...anyways

I am looking at finally finishing up my 5.1 system. Right now, i have 3.0, which consists of

2 Polk RTi8 fronts

1 Polk CSi3 center

I am debating between getting a pair of RTi6 or a pair of the SVS SBS-01/SCS-01. The SCS-01 pair are closer in price to the RTi6 pair, so i would think they would be closer to what I should look at. At the same time, i want the system to go together well, so would the polks be a better decision? This is where I need you guys to come in.

Also, on the part of the sub, I am seeing great prices on the PSW505 all over the place, so that seems like a great bang for my buck type of sub. But I was also looking at the SVS PB10-NSD. Its just a little above what I WANT to spend, but if its drastically better than the PSW505, then I will go with it.

My system will be used for mainly watching movies, but quite a bit of music listening too. It is my main family living area, and is ~14'x14'.

Oh, and my receiver is the onkyo sr705.

I am not a huge audiophile, but at the same time, would like some nice equipment. This system will probably be here the entire time I live in this house, so I need it to last. Also, I have the wife factor to consider, which is going to be hard enough to convince her of the need to spend as much as I have listed above...lol. But its my first large bonus, and I deserve it

Thanks for any and all suggestions all.

peace

EDIT: The eD A2-250 is looking really tempting for the price too, almost the same as the psw505, and seems to be much better...this is always so hard, though i'm sure whatever i do end up getting, i will be happy with...so thats what I am looking at, the SVS is almost out of picture now, since it seems teh eD performs almost as well, the A2-300 seems almost the exact same...

EDIT2: Looks like the eD A2-250 is the winner based off of physical size and performance. It beats the polk at low frequencies, isn't much more expensive, and will fit great hidden behind the couch
...now just what is the better choice on my surrounds...the SVS are actually CHEAPER than the polks, just want to be sure they will match up well with my fronts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry my budget isn't huge. Looks like the rti4's may actually be better in my situation than the rti6's. Since I am getting the eD a2-250 sub, i should have plenty of bass, and have been reading that the rti4's produce better/clearer highs and midrange, which is even better, since they are cheaper!! If anyone knows a better place than amazon to get them cheap, that would be great.

here is my 5.1

RTi8 fronts

Rti4 Surrounds

CSi3 center

eD A2-250 sub

I think it will sound great for me, especially since i have been living with just 3.0 for 5 months now...

any input would still be great, just been doing some reading here and over at polk forums.

peace

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Having a different brand for your rears is not much of an issue unless you habitually listen to 5ch music material. Are the SVS THAT MUCH cheaper compared to the Polks?

As for your subwoofer, if you can make room for the A2-300, I would suggest you go for that instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for some feedback...

From what I have read though that if you configure the a2-250 well that it really doesn't sound any different than the a2-300, except for maybe losing about 5db in the sub 20hz range, which I can definitely live with. I will measure my area though, and if it is that much better, its only $25 more, so i could go with it.

thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15567760

With music being a BIG part of your listening, look a little harder at the SVS over the eD IMO.

Or maybe Hsu.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the stf-2 definitely falls within my original price range, and it seems from reading reviews actually sounds better at the lower levels than does the a2-250, so why is it said a lot that the a2-250 is better for HT?

Alright, already talked out of the eD i'm pretty sure, unless I can get some more help in here to talk me out of it...ive upped the ante just a bit since I am saving a little on the RTi4's over the RTi6's.

So, now its either

HSU VTF-1

SVS PB10-NSD

Much more opinions would be great if you want, im reading through the forums right now, as this subject has been talked a lot, and people seem equally happy with either...Help me make my choice!!! I'm so excited about actually getting these soon and getting to hear a full system for the first time in my own house (my dad always had one, but this one is MINE)!!!

thanks all

·
Registered
373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilo357 /forum/post/15576568

well, the stf-2 definitely falls within my original price range, and it seems from reading reviews actually sounds better at the lower levels than does the a2-250, so why is it said a lot that the a2-250 is better for HT?

Alright, already talked out of the eD i'm pretty sure, unless I can get some more help in here to talk me out of it...ive upped the ante just a bit since I am saving a little on the RTi4's over the RTi6's.

So, now its either

HSU VTF-1

SVS PB10-NSD

Much more opinions would be great if you want, im reading through the forums right now, as this subject has been talked a lot, and people seem equally happy with either...Help me make my choice!!! I'm so excited about actually getting these soon and getting to hear a full system for the first time in my own house (my dad always had one, but this one is MINE)!!!

thanks all

HSU VTF3's on sale.

My money is on the SVS PC12 NSD's at $550 intro price. Sometimes $500 B stock. Waaaay better specs than VTF1 and with cheaper shipping this would be my choice. True house shaker. Check out the SVS link for the reveiw where it shakes the radio show studio. Killer.

Also check the KEF iQ1's as rears.$200 per pair at Vanns. $50 more for iQ3's

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the vtf-1 and the pb10-nsd are already above the limit i had set for myself...lol

so it will be hard to get a vtf-3 or pb12-nsd with the funds I have available, would have to wait even longer.

I decided late last night to go ahead with the pb10-nsd whenever i get the money in...

Speak now for any other recommendations. I may be able to step it up to pb12-nsd depending on what the bonus is, if its over 8k, then I will for sure, but I have a feeling it will be closer to 5k, which is going towards new floors and paint and savings as well...

peace

·
Registered
606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15560466

Having a different brand for your rears is not much of an issue unless you habitually listen to 5ch music material. Are the SVS THAT MUCH cheaper compared to the Polks?

Although when it comes time to sell the speakers it may be easier to sell a matching set.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i have already decided on the RTi4's for the surrounds, which should compliment my RTi8's nicely. That and the pb10-nsd sub, which should all be ordered and on their way within a month!!!

Going to be doing lots of work on the house at the time, new floors, painting, and setting up speakers, so should be a busy couple/few weekends. Good timing too, since i can run all the cables in teh gap underneath the baseboards saving lots of wall running, though i will still need to run 2 cables, thats better than all of them.

peace

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, was just messing with my speakers, and looks like I have a CS2 center instead of the CSi3 like I thought. Looks like I will be needing to replace it, as it does not match

Anyways, i can't seem to find a csi3 anywhere, so will probably be getting a csi a4 instead, its really the same speaker, just newer model. But if anyone sees a good deal on a csi3, used or new, or has one for sale, please let me know, I would gladly take it off your hands so I can throw this CS2 on ebay...

peace

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, i was thinking. Since I am going to be replacing my center speaker, is there one out there that would match correctly but is of smaller size, even if not the same brand? The polk centers are massive...I would be glad to look into any that would match my setup, the RTi8's for the front, and actually just picked up some RTi A1's today for my rears, it was earlier than expected, but a local store is going out of business and i picked up the pair for $179, I didn't think I would find a better deal, read how they are essentially the same as RTi4, just better styling, and possibly better sound, so I feel good about that purchase.

Anyways, thanks for helping me go through the progress of getting all this figured out, now I just need assistance with my center, as I would love something of smaller physical size, but comparable sound, and it must match the rest of my setup sound wise as well. If there is nothing else, then I will continue the search for a good price on the CSi A4 or CSi3.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I feel my system will be complete very soon!!1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts