AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals Jerry here! The first time I posted anything on here I was going to build a screen for an Epson 3020. Then something called a baby came along and I HAD to drop everything for the little princess. Now I'm back on the prowl but this time I'm planning on getting the Epson 2030 or 2000. I'm kind of stuck on Epson for some reason Idk why. My "Man Cave" that I'm working with is in my basement. It has a 7' drop ceiling with finished paneling on the walls. The wall that I would have to project on is 9'7" with a closet door to the left of where the screen would go. The room is 28 ft long but the other half is my "Gym Area". So seating area would be around 14' to 16' or even closer if recommended and the PJ around the same. ? is what size screen would suit my situation and what material to use. I know about BOC, sintra, Spandex, and good 'ol paint on the wall. I've also read some threads about painting BOC and/or sintra as well. Wife says why don't we just by a screen, but I want to go the DIY route. I like building stuff.........
I'm also interested in watching 3d movies, so I got that to think about as well. Been reading through so many threads in the DIY section I thought my head was going to explode. BTW I love this site.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I have an Epson 3020 on order... i do have an Elite 84inch manual pulldown with 1.1 gain on-hand , but i'm thinking of returning it and building a 16:9 92in fixed frame using blackout cloth from a local Fabricland.

I plan on suspending the frame in front of my plasma using hook and eyebolts... and tucking it into storage when not in use.

so yeah, lots of stuff on the internet on various ways of building it... I've read a few on blackout cloth and looks promising. Not sure about spandex...might be more for acoustically transparent screen builds perhaps?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Spandex is primarily for acoustic transparency but is also low cost and easy to use. Carl's Flexi white material would be a step up from blackout cloth, easy to use, and can be painted with a high performance paint mix in the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts