AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Most of the tips I've read on that say as close to centered on the screen as possible. YMMV, depending on the actual 3D system they're using. Both times we saw it were in the same theater, with the "Real D" system. Both times we were pretty much horizontally centered, but below vertical center, and the imaging was just fine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! thats what i was thinking anyway. there are 2 choices:

#

RealD 3DRated (PG-13) 2 hrs. 40 min.

BUY TICKETS - 1:00pm, 4:00pm

#

RealD 3D; SONY GIANT SCREENRated (PG-13) 2 hrs. 40 min.

BUY TICKETS - Noon, 3:00pm, 6:00pm, 9:00pm

looks like the only difference is one is on the 70ft screen

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I saw it in the IMAX big old screen.. and would say that is the only way to go..

Center screen 3/4 the way up, take lens spray and cloth to clean the crappy 3D glasses.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
yeah go with giant screen. I did both XD and "regular" size screen. XD is another "giant screen" option and it was definately more enjoyable than the regular screen (both were 3D)

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Screen size in this context is wholly dependent on seating distance. Sit where you normally would for a non-Cinemascope movie. All the 3D presentations are supposed to be shown in the 1.78:1 (16x9) aspect ratio. James Cameron framed the movie in 16x9 for 3D presentation because he thought the extra image height enhanced the viewing experience. The 2D version I saw was in Cinemascope aspect ratio at a THX theater. The "giant screen" cinema near my office only produces a maximum of 7 fL of screen illumination according to the manager. Smaller auditoriums tend to have a brighter image. I've seen it in a full-scale IMAX and a RealD Sony 4K equipped theater. I preferred the RealD presentation.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
whatever way you go, you're gonna love it!!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoostil /forum/post/18182360

the theater has this bad boy

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/mkt-dig...oduct-SRXR320/

my question is: from a technical standpoint, where should i sit?

I'm curious how you found out that it is the R320 and not the R220 and what city that is in. I was able to find out that a local theater (Seattle area) got the R320 for one screen and a friend was asking me if there are any of these in Los Angeles.

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/18183067

Yes, seeking the best presentation is not really necessary. This forum is really for people who don't care about technical excellence or image quality. Why bother?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/18183067

Whilst the work itself nearly made me swallow my tongue I have to say the film itself is a little run of the mill for my tastes. Definitely lacks bite and deep characters.

Then again I'd rather have my feet burned off than watch Titanic again!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/18183289

Yes, seeking the best presentation is not really necessary. This forum is really for people who don't care about technical excellence or image quality. Why bother?

get up on the wrong side of the bed?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/18182660

Screen size in this context is wholly dependent on seating distance.

Somewhat true.

For XD as example there are only some 12 screens in the country. They are all newer and therefore should be better calibrated (or at least more recently). They also have better sound equipment.

You often pay more for the bigger screen theaters and they often provide an "overall better product". In addition since US theaters in general doesn't do numbered seating a bigger screen would improve your chances of getting a decent seat....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite /forum/post/18188109

get up on the wrong side of the bed?

The OP asked about advice to optimize his enjoyment of the movie and you pretty much told him to ignore anything like that and just go. Fair critcism in regards to your post don't you think?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18189244

The OP asked about advice to optimize his enjoyment of the movie and you pretty much told him to ignore anything like that and just go. Fair critcism in regards to your post don't you think?

Precisely! Also, accompanied by the tongue sticking out icon-

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, so as someone said before, the story was a little lacking, but the visual effects were really cool. I did get a feeling that I had to almost cross my eyes a little for the 3D to work really well, kinda like when you stare at one of those pictures the right way (and long enough) images start to show.

I sat exactly in the middle with the bottom of the screen at eye level. The seating was at such an incline that if I was 100% on axis, I would of been in one of the last (if not the last) rows. I hate sitting there because I like the rear effects behind me, not on top of me.

Did anyone else feel that some of the images were blurry or out of focus? Specifically some of those jellyfish like things that were floating around. Maybe it was just a depth-of-field thing. The night shots were amazing with everything glowing, and the way the ground lit up for every step the characters took.

I thought that the sound wasnt very dyanmic. Was my brain so concentrated on the visual aspect that that I missed out on the sound?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
To keep this thread in context with display calibration, let me explain why I was motivated to see this movie in three different formats within a relatively short span of time. This movie will serve as the 3D experience that defines the state of the art for a while. My company is involved in many aspects of the entertainment and motion imaging industries. Seeing this movie in multiple formats was a priority of mine before it even openned in theaters. I will also be seeing it for a fourth time in RealD again. Repeated viewings in more than one format may also be a good method for hobbyists to educate themselves about 3D in general, and also prepare them to shop for residential 3D displays in the future.

Cameron has announced that a 3D BD release of 'Avatar' is not planned until next November at the earliest. The "bare bones" DVD and BD versions are scheduled for release in 2D only on Earth Day, April 22nd. Some 3D residential TVs are expected this Spring. Some custom dealers may be able to offer 3D front projection setups for viewing in local communities as early as that. Trade shows will be a sure way to see what manufacturers are going to be offering. Trying to judge picture quality between display types and samples will be particularly difficult without a reference for quality. 'Avatar' will offer that potential reference for the general public when it appears on Blu-ray Disc. Making the effort to view the movie in the various formats will help viewers discriminate between yet to be realized equipment options when they appear.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The latest issue of 'Widescreen Review' has a nice overview of 3D technology types and proposals for residential displays, BD players, HDMI 1.4 requirements, etc. Information is also included from CES demonstrations and prototype devices.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
George - what 3 formats?

You mention RealD -- did you see it on an XD screen?

IMAX I take it as well

I did see a review of someone that saw it in a few different places and posted a review maybe that was you - was at least two months ago so can't recall exactly.

With that asked -- Avatar is the first movie in my whole life that I have seen twice in the Theater. It was not for the story.... I first saw it on a "regular RealD" theater and then on their XD theater. Wanted to see XD and I wanted to see the 3D part again. Guess that is part of the AV sickness

·
Registered
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18196755

George - what 3 formats?

You mention RealD -- did you see it on an XD screen?

IMAX I take it as well

I did see a review of someone that saw it in a few different places and posted a review maybe that was you - was at least two months ago so can't recall exactly.

With that asked -- Avatar is the first movie in my whole life that I have seen twice in the Theater. It was not for the story.... I first saw it on a "regular RealD" theater and then on their XD theater. Wanted to see XD and I wanted to see the 3D part again. Guess that is part of the AV sickness

IMAX 3D, RealD 3D, and 2D. The viewing experience was not significantly diminished by the repetition or the 2D presentation. There is so much going on visually and technically on the screen in this movie, it still holds my interest and fascination. I also enjoyed many aspects of the story, acting, and characters. Science fiction fantasy is one of my favorite story genres. For me, the 3D effects added to the enjoyment by a slight but memorable margin over the 2D experience.

A well composed and displayed 2D movie image can have sufficient intra-image contrast and sharpness to impart an illusion of depth. This is one reason why I prefer the best DLP projectors over LCoS or LCD. It's also why flat panel TVs have been described as producing a nearly 3D-like picture. The first impression I had of the Blu-ray Disc image of 'Up' on my JKP/Samsung SP-A800B projector and Da-Lite JKP Affiniity screen was that it looked three dimensional. It had been months since I saw the movie in IMAX 3D. Digital animation is particularly stunning on BD. I've noticed a similar perception with live action titles as well. The challenge for manufacturers of residential 3D technologies will still be image fidelity, just as it is currently. They too easily sacrifice overall picture quality in order to incorporate the latest fad feature or specification.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts