AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOB! Finally! I nailed the *******. I assembled my DISH 500, patiently searching for the signal and I got it! Though I really want to celebrate, I still have a few issues.

1. After un-subscribing with DIRECTV, just learned that STUPID DISH has some contract dispute with the local channel here in Northern California that carries NBC. NBC is my most watched channel and I dont have OTA!

2. DISH guide SUCKS big time. Unlike DirecTV that it is super-imposed on the show you are watching and the sound is still there.

3. The remote control sucks as well.

Now my questions are

1. How come when I select HD for the output thru component cable, the picture is not 16x9 but only 4:3. I checked the display and it says 1080i but it's not 16x9. How do I get around this. I cannot make my MITSU 65907 to change to expand, zoom, etc

2. The DISH 500 came with dual LNBF marked 110 and 119. So, right now, I connect the cable to 119. The question is do I still need to connect to 110 since I will be putting up my regular 18" dish to point to the 148 HD bird? So, I have the SW-21 which has two antenna input only and goes one output to the receiver.

·
Registered
361 Posts
In reference to question 1:

If you are viewing SD content upconverted by the 6000 to 1080i, the aspect ratio will remain 4X3 UNLESS you stretch the image by accessing one of the 6000's stretch mode with the "*" key. Also note that the latest s/w upgrade of the 6000 added the ability to stretch HDTV content as well as SDTV content. What this means is that if you leave your 6000 in one of the stretch modes, and then watch true 16x9 HDTV content, the image, while still filling your 16x9 screen, will be cut off depending on which stretch mode you are using. Always use "normal" when viewing 16x9 content.

In reference to question 2:

The labeling of the 2 outputs on the dual LNBF dish 500 is erroneous. The 110 and 119 signals are combined INTERNALLY so that both outputs contain both 110 and 119 signals. I too was initially confused by this when I first installed my dish and wrongfully believed that I needed an external switch to combine these 2 outputs. If you connect the output labeled 110 to one receiver and the one labeled 119 to your second receiver, you will see that both receivers can "see" both 110 and 119 birds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is true for a "twin" LNB not a "dual" LNB. with a dual LNB you will have 4 cables coming form it (2 ea 100 and 119). The twin combines 4 into 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations! The NBC dispute is really a nuisance. What's worse is that lame loop message they STILL have playing from 3-19!! Shows you what a priority the whole situation is to DISH!! Supposedly in January you will be able to receive NBC via the San Jose affiliate.

How does the upconverted 1080i compare with the native HD? I've got the Dishplayer running through a DVDO right now (480p) but am contemplating a switch to the 6000.

------------------

-cv

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually put in a request to get NBC thru another states, hope it will goes thru. They told me it will take 45 days as compared to Jan 1, 2002. But still, DISH is crap.

Okay, about the upconverted signal....havent really looked as I just got finished late last night but initial look seems like not much difference.

I still need to point the second dish to the 148 HD bird

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Can you use the DISH500 to pick up the 148 or 61.5 degree bird?

Also what are the HD PAY PER VIEW movies being played on DISH?

·
Registered
943 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suprabilis:

Now, I have a SW-21, one of its input is already from 119, so what do I do with the 110 and the 148 bird?
Connect one of the twin LNB outputs (it doesn't matter which one, they both have the 110 & 119 signals) to SW21 input #1. Connect the 148 dish signal to SW21 input #2.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BarryO,

Are you saying that it doesnt matter which of those twin LNBF(marked 110 and 119)I connect one of my sw-21 input?

Right now, I have the cable from the 119 jack from the DISH 500 then to one of the input in the SW-21...So, you're saying, with that I have the 110 channels in my guide right now?

How do I know when I have the 148 signals already in the guide? thanks

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerryez, thanks. But that was for 2 dishes and 2 receivers. As you can see there are 2 cables coming out from one of the dish with both the 110 and 119..so if I have these 2 cables coming out from my DISH 500 and then I still have one cable coming out from my regular 18" dish for the HD..then that is 3 input and the SW-21 only takes 2

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suprabilis:

Are you saying that it doesnt matter which of those twin LNBF(marked 110 and 119)I connect one of my sw-21 input?
Yup. You can find out which channels are one which satellite on the Dish Network website.

The 61.5 and 148 channels are all numbered over 9000. For example, HBO-HD is 9440.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PaulK,

Thank you very much for telling me about the "*" button. So, when I watch HBO-HD, when I leave the screen to "normal" HBO-HD will fill my screen?

My Dish 500 has a TWIN LNBF with each one having one connection for the cable. I'm not sure if I am describing it correctly but...

Its like two LNBF joined glued together then each one has a jack. Each one is labeled as 110 and 119. Right now, the cable is connected to 119 as I still haven't put up the second dish which is the regular 18" dish for the HD bird, 148.

Now, I have a SW-21, one of its input is already from 119, so what do I do with the 110 and the 148 bird?

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.