AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 weeks of wrestling this beast, I finally have an awesome HTPC running Mythtv properly on Mandrake 9.2 My question pertains to freqent horizontal blips I see on my tv randomly through DVD or mythTV playback. These horizontal 'blips' look like analogue interference to me, but it is weird that they ONLY occur during DVD or TV playback. Anybody had a similar situation? Could there be such a thing as interference in my cheap component cables only when overlay is being used? Does overlay use more bandwidth over the cables? Or, am I looking at a hardware issue, such as Driver problems with NVidia. Or, am I looking at incorrect timings for my television, again I dont think this is it, or else I would see the lines on the desktop right?

ABIT NF7-M motherboard 256mb RAM

Athalon XP 2500+ & 220 GB harddrives

Using Audio Authority to transcode RGB to component at a very nice looking 856x480 desktop!

nforce2 onboard audio using alsa intel8x0 driver, not oss nvidia driver

nVidia geforce 4 onboard video using latest NVIDIA closed source driver

mythtv 0.13 compiled from thac's rpms

mplayer from PLF

etc. etc..

On a side note: I am currently using the nforce2 onboard audio with alsa intel8x0 driver, but i am stuck having to switch my reciever to analogue inputs for tv and music, and use the optical output for DVDs. I would prefer to have the whole system use the optical outputs, but that is only possible on my system with the nvidia oss drivers. This nvaudio driver is perfect in that everything comes perfectly out through the optical output, but has the nasty effect of hanging my mythtv all the time. (myth reports that the audio card is not full duplex). I also have a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II with optical output, and can get everything to go through the optical output EXCEPT for DD/DTS passthrough. I have also tried my SB Live! 5.1 which works great in analogue, but could never pass a workable digital signal out of the SPDIF connector.

Does anybody have mythtv, mythmusic, and mplayer passing DD5.1 AC3 through a digital connection to a reciever using any of these three cards? nforce2 onboard audio, Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II, or a Soundblaster Live! 5.1?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am using an Abit NF7 under Fedora with the nvaudio driver from nvidia. I am using the optical output. I've had zero issues with freezing. In fact, MythMusic runs almost around the clock when not watching TV or MythVideo, and haven't seen any freezes. I haven't tried any DVD's so I am not sure how well it passes 5.1, but once I get my remote all set up that will be next.

Also, it appears that the ALSA drivers for the nforce2 audio supports optical out, however, I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. After spending an entire weekend on it, I decided to throw my creative soundblaster Live5.1 back in. after a little tweaking using it's emu10k1 driver, I have everything working using it. I have no crashes now, and mythtv seems perfectly solid to me. I would still love to hear if other people had the nforce audio working perfect in mythtv so I could put my soundblaster back in my main pc

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dave, would it be too much to ask for a post or a copy of your XF86config? I have the exact same system and I'm having an awful time getting a good looking picture through the Audio Authority RGB to component.

thanks

dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure thing! I would be happy to help someone out for once! I got this modeline from this board in its more generic form. Then I opened xvidtune from the command line and adjusted the picture left and down just a little to fit my screen properly. I also increased the vertical size a bit, and increased the horizontal size a bit. All these tweakings were specific to my Toshiba 57H81 HDTV. I am sure you will have to use xvidtune to get your own perfect values, but this should get you a starting point.

Also, until recently I alwayse had a M$ machine for HTPC, moved to linux cuz Myth is so awesome. In windows, I tried all of the resolutions supported by my TV (i.e. 540p, 1080i) and I found that the 856x480 resolution worked best for me. I like that the text is so readable, and the DVD aspect is absolutely perfect in 856x480. I did try the 960i rez in 1080i timings in windoze, and kinda liked that, but browsing the web wasnt so nice. If you are only using Myth, and dont need the desktop, you might try one of those 960i timings (I may move there when I am all done configuring Myth as once it is set up, I really wont need the beauty of 480p text as I will be using myth all the time. But for now, having to switch back to command line so often, and everything, 856x480 works perfect.

Lastly, In windows, I never ever ever got such a good looking picture as I am getting in linux. My wife even said "wow the desktop looks so much clearer" to me. I am not sure the difference, but the clarity of the picture on the screen is much better than I ever dreamed of in M$ Land.

Lastly, lastly. I figured out that xine does not show those ' horizontal static' lines I talked about in the first thread, whereas mplayer does show those interference lines. So, now I am using Xine with mythtv, which is better because it has menu navigation support anyway. I still see the horizontal interference lines in the Myth when watching TV or Recorded shows, but only when the mode is 16x9. When I watch tv in 4:3 with the black bars on the side, there are no interference lines. It looks to me like the hardware scaling of the nvidia Geforce 4 is causing some artifacts. I have hooked up the htpc to a computer monitor and verified that these lines are on the pc monitor also, so it is not just a timing thing like I originally thought.

here is my config file

# File generated by XFdrake.

# ************************************************************ **********

# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of

# this file.

# ************************************************************ **********

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)

# By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of

# the X server to render fonts.

FontPath "unix/:-1"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

#DontZoom # disable / (resolution switching)

#DontZap # disable (server abort)

AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work

EndSection

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Keyboard1"

Driver "Keyboard"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"

Option "XkbOptions" ""

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "1024x768 @ 70 Hz"

HorizSync 31.5-57.0

VertRefresh 50-70

#HDTV Modeline

ModeLine "856x480p" 36.547 856 920 952 1080 480 498 504 560

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?

# 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync

ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563 -hsync -vsync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.

# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync

ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "Nvidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier "screen1"

Device "device1"

Monitor "monitor1"

DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"

Depth 8

Modes "856x480p"

#Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 15

Modes "856x480p"

#Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "856x480p"

#Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 24

Modes "856x480p"

#Virtual 1024 768

EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

Screen "screen1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

EndSection

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gordon32
I am using an Abit NF7 under Fedora with the nvaudio driver from nvidia. I am using the optical output. I've had zero issues with freezing. In fact, MythMusic runs almost around the clock when not watching TV or MythVideo, and haven't seen any freezes. I haven't tried any DVD's so I am not sure how well it passes 5.1, but once I get my remote all set up that will be next.

Also, it appears that the ALSA drivers for the nforce2 audio supports optical out, however, I haven't tried that yet.
I'm going to purchase a motherboard for a htpc running linux. Not sure what flavor yet; I'm considering Fedora since Red Hat has always been my first choice but might go with SuSe.

I would like to ask if the Abit NF7 that you have is with or without integrated video. If without integrated video, what card are you using and how is the tv display?

thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
No video on my NF7, I am using a GeForce 5200FX for video. VGA output is connected to a Crescendo TC2000 transcoder which is connected via component to my TV displaying a 540p signal. Picture is fantastic, no complaints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.