AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the unit for a couple of months but just started installing it yesterday and finishing it today. I built my room addition with R-30 in the ceiling and R-13 in the walls. I covered it with that thermal foil insulation ceilings and walls. It only took about 20 minutes to cool the room down from 80 to 75 degrees. It is also very quiet on the two lowest fan settings on the highest setting is about like a cars air conditioner set on high.

To make a long story short I am very pleased. Cheers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamowhum
I've had the unit for a couple of months but just started installing it yesterday and finishing it today. I built my room addition with R-30 in the ceiling and R-13 in the walls. I covered it with that thermal foil insulation ceilings and walls. It only took about 20 minutes to cool the room down from 80 to 75 degrees. It is also very quiet on the two lowest fan settings on the highest setting is about like a cars air conditioner set on high.

To make a long story short I am very pleased. Cheers.
What brand/model did you end up with? Did you do the final hookups yourself, or get in an HVAC contractor?

I have no AC in my house, and I'm in the home stretch on work on my room. I've been trying to figure out if I should try to "pre-duct" for regular central air (might be able to afford to do it next year), or go for the quietest mini-split I can find.

EDIT: Do you have a decibel meter? It would be interesting to see some noise figures for the unit in different modes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Bon-aire 3/4 ton unit I got off Ebay for $600 delivered. This unit also has a heat pump so if you didn't need the extra heat it will knock off about $200 from that figure. The inside low setting is supposed to be 42 decibels. I don't have a decibel meter yet. That will come when I set up my sound system. I had a tech hook it up and supply the cement pad for the outside unit. All I did was run a new dedicated circuit to the outside with a disconnect box and layout where to drill the outside hole. Anyway the cost of the tech and his materials was $400. I was running out of time otherwise I could have done it all but the vaccuuming of the lines. That would have cost around $100 plus the price of the pad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.