AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to start by thanking Glenn Refling for taking the time to come up to my place so that I can audition his HT-1000. He is a great man, very polite & well presented, kudos to you Glenn.

Now,

I was expecting great things from this little beast especially the CR & she didn't let me down. I got to see what I was accustomed to with my calibrated Sharp 9000 & then some. This baby roars!

We were using a Panasonic RP56 in the progressive scan mode with component in. The screen is a DA-LITE 119" diagonal 1.5 gain matte white. The PJ was right out of the box untweaked but we did play with it a while & tried a few different settings.

The black levels were better than my 9000 but not by much, noticeably better yes, a WOW better NO, I'd say about 10-15% better. The CR was close, I had kick-butt CR on my unit & to my surprise going from 1100:1 to (let's be honest here) about 2000:1 on this NEC was not noticeable at all. I'm not sure which one was better. It looked the same to me but I didn't do an A-B comparison, it is all from memory but 1 year of memory FWIW.

The brightness is plenty bright & we watched comfortably with strong lighting on for testing. The Iris doesn't do it for me, it kind of brings well-lighted scenes down to not se well-lighted hence the effect of better CR & blacks...I say effect because that IS what it is to my eyes. I think NEC has gone a little overboard with their advertising of 3000:1 here just so they can gain a little more market share but HEY! Who am I to say & who hasn't in the past? Kudos to them if it works.

The colors on this baby are what makes this unit really stand out over my Sharp. They are amazing! I can't believe a tiny unit only 6Lbs can have such a performance! My Sharp was 19Lbs! The reds are a GOOD RED & the greens were awesome. We played Fifth Element Superbit & then tried Shakespeare in Love for it's great colors & the unit really kicked.

The sound on this little PJ is comfortable in the 1000 lumens mode & almost silent in the economy mode which I believe is around 800 lumens & plenty bright.

Now to the screen-door that some people have talked about on this forum about this HT1000... WHAT SCREEN-DOOR!!!??? I was 1 foot from the screen before it became an issue & I AM sensitive to screendoor which is why I cannot watch LCD's. I've even returned an expensive LCD panel for my home computer due to screen-door.

Menu..a plethora of options that can have you tweaking for HOURS! I liked the fact that one can electronically mask off the top or the bottom in any movie so that it matches it's aspect ratio. A left & right masking is also there if needed. There are so many more ways to better the picture it can drive you NUTS! If you're a tweaker you'll be in heaven!

Since the Seleco 300+ is the only HD2 machine that I've seen so far I can honestly say that overall I think this unit can stand up to the 300+ NO problem! In fact, I not only think that it is a better buy for the money but it BEATS the Seleco HEAD ON! The CR & blacks are better than the Seleco's but not by much. The fact that they are better though & for a mere $10,000 less should be a HUGE factor in ANYONE's decision.

I know this meeting with Glenn has been a HUGE learning experience for me & thank's to NEC's HT-1000 for opening my eyes to what's worth paying for & what's not. If NEC can build a unit this GOOD for this little then why must other manufacturers charge so much more with LESS options in their systems & an inferior PQ to say the least? I know I can get this GORGEOUS PJ (HT-1000) for UNDER $4000US instead of paying nearly $14,000US for the 300+ & what benefits will I have if I chose the Seleco? I think none. But that's just my opinion, you must see them for yourselves before making any decisions.

Now for the negatives..the ONLY negative that I've found with this unit is that it doesn't offer a long throw & it's too bad because there is no way around it for me, I need at least a throw of 18ft to be adequate for my room :(

Conclusion: I give this little beast 2 THUMBS UP & encourage everyone to go see one before plunging down 2 or 3 or even four times the amount of money for another. I know the manufacturer's want you to believe that theirs is always better but seeing is believing & what BS they tell you about their systems is just that.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks Glenn once again for your time.

P.S. I almost forgot to add, I am not sensitive to rainbows so I didn't see any. Also, there was NO tearing whatsoever & the panning was smooth, much smoother than my 9000.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Hi Chris

I also agree the throw is way to short on this projector. I also do not like the offset. Its to extreme.

Regarding contrast, you must select Movie in the gamma setting. It makes a huge difference. Also if you feed it interlaced you get to play with the sweet filter which also effects contrast.

Your dead on about this unit competing with the new HD2 chip projectors.

This projector signs and considering the price its a bargain. I cant wait for the next generation:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Hi Chris

I also agree the throw is way to short on this projector. I also do not like the offset. Its to extreme.

Regarding contrast, you must select Movie in the gamma setting. It makes a huge difference. Also if you feed it interlaced you get to play with the sweet filter which also effects contrast.

Your dead on about this unit competing with the new HD2 chip projectors.

This projector signs and considering the price its a bargain. I cant wait for the next generation:)
Hi Alan,

we did select "Movie" in the gamma sttings & it did make a big difference. Yes the offset was not the greatest but we did manage around it. We also played with the sweet filter & didn't get to see any difference but now I see why, we didn't feed it interlaced, :mad: Still a non-issue in the deciding factor me thinks :cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Chris great review. This NEC is one the projectors I am seriously considering to replace my old Davis DL 450 clone. Now I am more eager than ever to see this projector at the upcoming NYC projector shoot off.

You say that out of the box the projector matched and in some area surpassed your very tweaked Sharp 9000. would you say then that if I was to apply the same tweaks to the NEC then the NEC could be way above the Sharp?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by alberich
You say that out of the box the projector matched and in some area surpassed your very tweaked Sharp 9000. would you say then that if I was to apply the same tweaks to the NEC then the NEC could be way above the Sharp?
If you were to apply some major tweaks to the NEC you would definitely get an even better picture than what I got with the time I had.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The only thing that keeps me from seriously considering this projector is the fact that it's a native 4:3 machine, and most of my viewing would be 16:9 material. I'd rather spend 10K and enjoy full resolution in wide screen mode.

TA

·
Registered
909 Posts
Great review Chris. I found your review especially objective because you currently own another projector.

This is probably the only projector I would be confident enough to buy without a demo. If it is an NEC, it must be good. They are really starting to build a very very strong presence in the Home Theatre projection market. They are doing this by consistently coming out with products which exceed customer's expectation at a unique price point.

If they can come up with a wide screen HT1000 , I think that they will be able to sweep the market clean. HD2 sales will definitely suffer. I hope someone in NEC is listening.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi Chris,

Like you, I was very impressed with the colors and picture quality of the HT10000 when I saw it. However, when I compare it with my Marantz, I find that the Marantz has a more refined picture that is alot cleaner and more transparent.. It just appears to "pop out of the screen" The colors have also a more pleasant and cleaner look. I attribute the differences to the more efficient light path and better custom Minolta optics used by the Marantz.

I am glad that the extra dollars I paid for the Marantz do make a difference!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Chris,

I started this thread to get some comparison between the 9000 and the HT1000. Sounds like you are the first to have all the information to make a good comparison. Just to be sure, if you had to choose between those 2 projectors and they were the same price you would take the HT1000. Is that right?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
897 Posts
Chris,

I'm happy you enjoyed seeing my little pj. I feel that for the money it is a great little machine. It was interesting taking it over to your place to see how it performed on the larger screen at your house. Surprisingly, quite good. What really impressed me was the fact we could leave the florescent lights on in the back of the room and still have a very watchable picture. Your room is quite a bit longer than mine and so I don't have the same ability to have that much light in the room before effecting my screen image. As far as the contrast control, on a smaller screen you get the extra contrast without such a big drop in brightness that we saw on your 119" 16:9 screen.

I am looking forward to receiving my celing mount so I can finally get the pj tweaked and calibrated. My AVIA disk is waiting.

(HEY JASON! Any delivery date yet?) :D

Timbelmont,

I would only say one thing, you ought to check out a 4:3 pj before you dismiss them out of hand on the basis of specifications alone. The Sharp that Chris had was a 16:9 unit and he felt the image from the NEC was better on the same screen. As far as I can tell, and I really did look at a large number of PJs before deciding, the NEC puts out a smooth clean image, (even on the large 16:9 screen we were watching at Chris' house). The resolution seems more than adequate for a lovely image. More resolution would no doubt be better, (isn't it always? :D ), but still you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
589 Posts
For us who need a longer throw than the 1000, I wonder how its commercial "twin", the 260 (which has a longer throw) compares in pic quality?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Jim - I would love to know the answer to that question as well. The HT 1000 sounds great, but the throw distance is way to short for my application. Reed.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have seen both the 260 and the HT1000. The 260 does not have the same quality of video processing. The picture was still quite nice, just not as rich as the 1000 in terms of colour accuracy and image smoothness. The HT1000 has certainly improved on the 260 for home theater but that short throw will be a problem for many.

If you could perform a colour wheel mod like in the 150 and use a good quality progressive scan player you'd be getting awfully close I think.

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Haw

Hopefully from your comments you have the S2.

Ive seen the S1 and disagree.

I would rate the NEC next inline to the S2.

·
Registered
792 Posts
HAW & ALLEN

NOT trying to take this thread in a different direction, but just wanted to comment on HAW;S comment above on the MARANTZ. I have had the S1, and now just put in the S2 version, and my brief exposure to it, tells me that this unit puts out an extremely clean looking picture, with phenomenal focus and detail and over all transparency, that even makes my ELECTROHOME 8500 (8" CRT), look a little hazy by comparison. Would love to see how close the NEC comes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm still teetering on the edge on what PJ to get - the Infocus 7200 or the JVC SX-21 (though now that it is another 3 or more months out I am probably taking it off my list). But reading many threads on the performance of some less expensive PJ's like this NEC HT1000 at half the price of the 7200 ( even more for the Marantz S2), it's making me consider the possibility of waiting at bit longer (another year?) until we get a unit with the full HD resolution, and contrast ratio >2000 and lumens >1500 (and low noise and minimal offset and of course affordable :D). So here's this much less expensive NEC and even the more affordable Sony HS10. Decisions, decisions......

However, I must ask this question, and pardon my ignorance if the answer is that obvious. I see many users say the throw distance is too short ? I can see the phisical dimensions of many users' HT rooms can be too small for a PJ with a long throw (say something that needs 17' or 18' from the lens), but if you have a 25' long room, with a wall mounted screen and you're setting back 1.5x screen width, then why can you not install a PJ with a shorter throw, eg., 15'?? Is it just where the current mount is located, or......... what?

Cheers,

dagger

·
Registered
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRJAZZZ
NOT trying to take this thread in a different direction, but just wanted to comment on HAW;S comment above on the MARANTZ. I have had the S1, and now just put in the S2 version, and my brief exposure to it, tells me that this unit puts out an extremely clean looking picture, with phenomenal focus and detail and over all transparency, that even makes my ELECTROHOME 8500 (8" CRT), look a little hazy by comparison. Would love to see how close the NEC comes.
MRJAZZZ, you also own Sim2 HT300+, correct ? In your opinion, how is VP-12S2 compared to HT300+ ??

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
MRJAZZZ

Yes the S2 has a great picture but he did not mention what model. I hope he was talking about the S2 other wise I disagree.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Chris,

I've been looking at some local HT stores lately and the Z9000 tweeked by you (your previous projector...) has come up the second best out of all the PJ that we've seen. The only PJ that looks better to the untrained eye was that Seleco 300 at Canadian Sound in Brampton. Mind you they were only showing Monsters inc. but the image looked very good.

Hi Glenn, nice to see another Canadian here...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Chris,

You mean Canadian Sound in Brampton? I purchased most of my sound equipment there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.