CBS shows but still not better than the NCAA tournament. My wife

wasn't impressed and thought that it wasn't worth the money for the

STB. I'm starting to wonder the same thing. The TV is calibrated and

everything. Was last night the best it is going to get, if so I'm not

too happy. Any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Go the programming forum and search for film vs HD video topics. Film can look OK to very good; but only stuff shot on video gives you that "looking through a window" effect. HD sports and PBS material are shot on video, whereas most dramas and sitcoms are transfered from film.

Good looking shows are CSI, NYPD Blue, Smallville.

I'd check out the Kentucky Derby this weekend; it will likely look very good.

Also, if you're only using the box for OTA HD, there are much less expensive OTA only boxes out there.

Still, once you get used to the HD, you won't want to go back.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfields413
Well I just purchased the Sony HD 200 and have it hooked up to my

Sony 57wv600 via the DVI cable. I currently have analog cable and use

the HD 200 for OTA HD. I watched My Wife and Kids -ABC 7.1 and CSI -

CBS 5.1, last night. I have the STB set for Auto DVI format. The

picture on both shows was good, clearer than normal channels, but I

was not Overly impressed. It didn't look so rich and real like it

does at the stores. It definetly didn't look like the mens NCAA

tournament in HD at sears. That picture looked like the players were

real, like I was there. The two shows I watched last night were no

where near that quality. The PBS Demo looked better than the ABC and

CBS shows but still not better than the NCAA tournament. My wife

wasn't impressed and thought that it wasn't worth the money for the

STB. I'm starting to wonder the same thing. The TV is calibrated and

everything. Was last night the best it is going to get, if so I'm not

too happy. Any thoughts or suggestions.
I don't know, many of these programs are broadcasted in 1080i and just wished they had used 720p instead.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If you read his post carefully, you would see the benchmark of his analysis was the NCAA tournament -- broadcast in 1080i. Perhaps it's the 720p not living up to his expectations, as the PBS demo loop (which he said was better) is in 1080i. But here are the more likely problems:

[1] As discussed before, video-based HD is better looking than film-based. The both serve their purposes, but video has the 'wow' effect.

[2] Many PBS stations are multicasting, causing a degradation in the primary digital channel.

[3] I highly suggest you watch The Tonight Show with Jay Leno or wait for a live sports event in HD. The difference between SD and HD is so huge that my blind great-grandmother would be able to distinguish a difference.

·
Registered
552 Posts
jfields413,

You aren't the first person to have such a reaction. The truth is that dramas and movies are intentionally designed to have a particular "look". Don't compare these to the NCAA presentation you saw in the store; they're simply not supposed to look like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you buy a DirectTV STB such as the Sony HD200, don't you have to sign a one year contract with DirectTV? I recently bought a Samsung T160 but now I have problems with DirectTV...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Some retailers require a one-year commitment and some don't. If the retailer requires the commitment and you cancel early they will hit you with a $150 penalty fee.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've been told D* only charges a pro-rated amount of the penalty fee. If you remain active for 6 months, the penalty is reduced to $75. I don't believe this is how the contract is worded, but I have been told this is how it is enforced.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The penalty also applies if buy an STB from a retailer that requires activation and you don't activate a Directv subscription within 30 days. Word of warning to folks out there who plan on buying a Directv HD STB and using it for OTA only. If you buy it from the wrong place, it could turn out being $150 more expensive than shown on the price tag.

Truth be told, I have not heard of anyone whose been slapped with a penalty, but I know that when I bought my E86 at Best Buy last year, they required that they had a credit card number on file for the purchase, even if you paid with cash or check so that they could hit you with that penalty and you signed agreement stating those terms and conditions for the purchase.

Frankly, I didn't like the way it was handled, but they had the best price I could find anywhere locally or online at the time. And, I've been a Directv subscriber since 1996, so I wasn't really wanting to jump ship to Dishnetwork. I signed the agreement.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lwavs
If you buy a DirectTV STB such as the Sony HD200, don't you have to sign a one year contract with DirectTV? I recently bought a Samsung T160 but now I have problems with DirectTV...
Are you saying that you want to change from the TS160 to the HD200? If so, all you have to do is agree to 12 months of TotalChoice programming package, from the date of activation of the HD200. IOW, your programming commitment "restarts".

There is no penalty for early disconnection of a STB. The penalty is for early termination of a programming commitment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for all the response!

I had some issue with the Best Buy store from which I bought the T160 and if this isn't going to be resolved I may forgo DirectTV but would still like to keep T160 for OTA. I do like it quite a lot.

I saw Lucy last night on CBS HD and it was quite amazing. However, I am much less impressed with other CBS HD programs such as JAG and CSI which looked to me lacking contrast and brightness, at least for most indoor scenes. Lucy not only has much more vibrant colors but also has more detail. I have the 60" WGII connected to the STB via DVI. Although in general WGII tends to perform better with bright scenes than darker ones but I do believe Lucy has a substantial higher level of HD quality. Any opinions on this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.