AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local Sam's club today to look at the TVs in person. They have some OK prices and a good selection.


Looking at side by side 50in Vizio, 47in Panasonic, and 50in samsung...


The Vizio had the best picture!



I looked at 2 42in tvs to compare 720 vs 1080, even at 42in the difference is noticable, I am definately getting 1080.


Of course I happen to the end of the row and get knocked off my feet by the BEST picture there... I look at the name brand, Sony of course... that was incredible! but way too much!


So, I am not sure what to do now...


The 50in 1080p plasma vizio had a better picture than the samsung and panasonic with similar configurations.


And at about $200 less.... (Vizio $999, Samsung and Panasonic around $1200)hmmm... I know they just pull them from the box and don't tweak color any for the store displays, but still... there was a considerable difference!


The Vizio was the VP504 line.


Thoughts on that TV?


Think the others would configure better and be better overall? I am the type of guy where I would like to set the color once, then sit back and be done with it, from playing games to blu-rays to tv to dvd... I wold prefer not to have to mess with it later aside from at most chaning which pre-set its on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input, I will read it. I just ran to BestBuy as well and they have their AV section dimmed.


Granted now I am more torn! I was walking up and down the line of TVs and happened upon a 50in Samsung that blew my mind! It looked so real, everything was worlds above the others, I swear I thought I could stick my hand through into the screen!!!


Turns out it was the new LED TV... Without question if I can find one in my price range I will take a 42in one of those over a 50in plasma!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I hate to say it, but unless you can eliminate ambient conditions, potentially strange settings, and source quality as confounding factors, comparison shopping in some place like Sam's Club is useless. Even Best Buy has crappy source material; it's really bad. But when you get to see a high quality set connected via HDMI to a Blu-ray player, your jaw will drop.


Instead, consult some online reviews and forums to narrow down your list to comparably priced units, then check out the appearance, form factor, remote, and other intangibles to make your final selection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Vizio is not a high quality brand, more middling at best.


There are things I consider a serious issue with LCDs, mainly off angle viewing. If you can live with that LCDs are fine for you, but I certainly would not spend that amount of money on a Vizio when the are much better products out there. Sony has dropped in quality since they stated loosing money, cutting corners to boost profit, they are no longer an industry leader. At this point Samsung makes some of the best LCDs and plasmas out there. Panasonic may better them in certain areas in the plasma line, but Samsung is better at LCD.


I much prefer plasma for overall quality, including motion and color rendition. Just be aware any set will look much different in your home than in the store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys all. I mainly purchase my gear based off reviews online but on a 1K+ item I really have a hard time buying without seeing it.


The two major players I have been considering(and after confirming that the LEDs are too pricey) are the Samsung PN50B550 - which Best Buy has an open box one for $999 or the Panasonic Vierra S1 - TC-P50S1.


If I get a Panasonic I would prefer the G10 line but the 50in is about $1400 and I really wanna stay under $1200, $1000 would be even better.


I would consider 42in still, but Samsung doesn't make anything smaller than 50 in 1080, so it'd be the panasonic then...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
I just purchased the Samsung PN63B550 today. It looked just fine when I saw one properly setup at a locally owned business (not a chain). Use caution on open box items - check the warranty carefully.


However, it was sitting next to the Pioneer 141FD 60" plasma. No comparison. Wish I never saw the Pioneer. However, that's a $4K+ display ($6K MSRP) and all the units were sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbarred /forum/post/16976543


thanks for the replys all. I mainly purchase my gear based off reviews online but on a 1K+ item I really have a hard time buying without seeing it.


The two major players I have been considering(and after confirming that the LEDs are too pricey) are the Samsung PN50B550 - which Best Buy has an open box one for $999 or the Panasonic Vierra S1 - TC-P50S1.


If I get a Panasonic I would prefer the G10 line but the 50in is about $1400 and I really wanna stay under $1200, $1000 would be even better.


I would consider 42in still, but Samsung doesn't make anything smaller than 50 in 1080, so it'd be the panasonic then...

If you do decide to go with the S1 or G10, there is a Panasonic rebate when bundled with approved Bluray players up to $200 currently.That might help reduce your net cost, or at least get you a free Bluray.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usapp...ate8-15-09.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the link my northern friend. I may pick up one of the Blu-Ray players for my parents. I have a PS3 so I can run Blu rays off that.


I really think I am down to the Panasonic G10 either 42 for $999 or 50in for $1200 - that vierra cast is really cool. I figure it won't be long before netflix can stream on there as well as amazon.


I read the G10 vs S1 thread on here and definately think its worth getting the G10 series...


Though I did just find that the G10 50in is discontinued....


I could always just get the Samsung B550 and a Roku box and have instant access to amazon and netflix...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,169 Posts

thanks for the replys all. I mainly purchase my gear based off reviews online but on a 1K+ item I really have a hard time buying without seeing it.


Sometimes you just have to run on blind faith and thats were asking you to do here. Cause once you get the plasma home and in the correct light,with no other distractions and off of the horrible vivid mode they seem to love at the stores you will truly appreciate what you spent your 1k on.



i bought my first plasma from THe Brick in canada and never saw it at all and ive loved it from the day i got it home. Bought my panny based on recommendations here, and have no buyer remorse what so ever.

My boss bought his panny based on my recommendations and he loves it and he also got WAF to boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbarred /forum/post/16976379


thanks for the input, I will read it. I just ran to BestBuy as well and they have their AV section dimmed.


Granted now I am more torn! I was walking up and down the line of TVs and happened upon a 50in Samsung that blew my mind! It looked so real, everything was worlds above the others, I swear I thought I could stick my hand through into the screen!!!


Turns out it was the new LED TV... Without question if I can find one in my price range I will take a 42in one of those over a 50in plasma!!!!

I have to agree with you on the new Samsung LEDs. The picture looks incredible. I prefer the more realistic picture of Panasonic Plasma's, but if I could get a comparably sized Samsung LED for around the same price, I would get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbarred /forum/post/16976543


thanks for the replys all. I mainly purchase my gear based off reviews online but on a 1K+ item I really have a hard time buying without seeing it.


The two major players I have been considering(and after confirming that the LEDs are too pricey) are the Samsung PN50B550 - which Best Buy has an open box one for $999 or the Panasonic Vierra S1 - TC-P50S1.


If I get a Panasonic I would prefer the G10 line but the 50in is about $1400 and I really wanna stay under $1200, $1000 would be even better.


I would consider 42in still, but Samsung doesn't make anything smaller than 50 in 1080, so it'd be the panasonic then...


Okay as someone who just went through a similar experience, I have too say the worst thing to do is to see it for yourself in a showroom. I've learned a great deal about showroom displays and how bad it is. The only way to evaluate it is to see it in a living room. Getting user feedback from people who own them or reliable HDTV sites who run the proper tests on them is far greater aid. I bought the G15 50 inch model for 1370 and is the best bang for the buck I thought. I went on faith on the reviews of the G10 and not what I saw in the store. Honestly, the G15 in HHGREGG where I bought it looked terrible and I had a hard time pulling the trigger on faith from the HD community out there, but I did, and I am glad for it. My brother sells these sets to the RV industry and he was my biggest advocate for what I bought, he said trust him, so I did. Do your research and buy what the best set you can in your range based on that research, don't go on your eye in the store, deception, mistrust, the dark side you will find!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecoleman /forum/post/16981103


Okay as someone who just went through a similar experience, I have too say the worst thing to do is to see it for yourself in a showroom. I've learned a great deal about showroom displays and how bad it is. The only way to evaluate it is to see it in a living room. Getting user feedback from people who own them or reliable HDTV sites who run the proper tests on them is far greater aid. I bought the G15 50 inch model for 1370 and is the best bang for the buck I thought. I went on faith on the reviews of the G10 and not what I saw in the store. Honestly, the G15 in HHGREGG where I bought it looked terrible and I had a hard time pulling the trigger on faith from the HD community out there, but I did, and I am glad for it. My brother sells these sets to the RV industry and he was my biggest advocate for what I bought, he said trust him, so I did. Do your research and buy what the best set you can in your range based on that research, don't go on your eye in the store, deception, mistrust, the dark side you will find!

While I mostly agree with you, I'd say that trusting someone you know is far better than making your decision based entirely on random internet commentators (some of whom may be viral marketers). Especially here, where if you listen to the hyperbole you might think any TV that's not a Pioneer Elite is unwatchable. Or that if you look at a LCD TV off-center you can't see anything.


And on here you have a lot of enthusiasts who probably watch their TVs in light controlled or pitch black environments. I'm guessing most people watch their TV with lots of ambient light, in which case a TV's performance is way different.


Seeing the TV in store can give you an idea of how the TV fairs in less-than-ideal conditions, which for many people is probably more relevant than how the TV does in perfect conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
People have different visual perferences for picture quality and plasma delivers a very realistic, movie like image. LCD tends to give you the "wow factor" due to the saruration of the colors and the sharpness of the image.


The type of image you prefer, and the use of the set, should go a long way towards determining which is right for you.


Ambient light plays a big factor with plasma displays. They look best where light in the room is controlled. The darker the better. If you room accomodates this type of viewing, you can get a spectacular picture.


If not, you will get a dim image, with lots of light reflections.


LCD does better in bright rooms. It is inherently a brighter technology. They can be overpowering in a darker room for some.


You mentioned a PS3 for Blu Ray. If you also are a gamer, you might think about image retention with plasma. I hesitate to say image burn-in as that word tends to inflame plasma fanatics, who claim there is no such thing in the current sets.


Plasma has a tendency to retain static (non moving) images from things like games and some channels that have fixed banners - like scores on sports programs. These images can be retained for anywhere between a few seconds and a few hours, depending on how long you have displayed the image. A gaming fanatic can play for long periods. This is something to be considered, if you use the set in this manner.


LCD does not have image retention issues, but has more input lag when gaming. Again, LCD fanatics will say that the input lag is not a significant factor on current sets, but there is some tendency for the set to take more time to process the signal resulting in a gap between you activate a game control and when you see the movement on the screen.


Either technology choice will look 100 times better at home than in the store. The screen size will also look bigger at home.


Good luck with your selection. The good part is that ultimately you can't select a set with a bad quality picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the good rundown aydu!


We have 2 big 40in screens at work with mapping info on showing are network, both have permanent burn in that will NOT come out!


but they are about 18 months old now - and most say thats been cleared up and doesn't occur much anymore.


I initially thought LCD was the way to go because of that, but the blurring on movement had me hesitant.


Reading that most of thats been cleared up now makes the two seem pretty much on the same field.


That being said it sounds like we are down to pretty even, but the Plasma prices seem cheaper(just grabbing rough prices off amazon).


I do play games but not for hours at a time, I typically don't watch much sports or news, I actually rarely watch TV... mostly just movies and some games...


I dunno what to get.



I'd like to stay under 1K so I am leaning towards the Panny G10 42in or the Panny S1 46in...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Image retention various from brands and models along with picture settings. I haven't really seen it occur on the 08-09 models for Samsung and Panasonic, even on Torch mode. I know it still happens but in my own experience it has become a non issue, since if it does occur it generally resolves itself quickly.


Personally I've had a Pioneer 111 and the family and I have used it a lot with various material. Even after some prolonged stretches of gaming with no IR what so ever, one of my friends also has the same model and as far I know he hasn't had any issues either.


I've sold TVs for several years and my vote leans towards plasma on the whole with solid brands, especially in a home environment. Samsungs have improved a lot since I started and Panasonics have become the defacto king. Still not as nice as the Kuros but I am looking forward to what next year Panasonic models will provide with great anticipation.


The Samsung LEDs are nice and provide eye scorching levels of light output but they still suffer from the short comings of LCD technology. Plus LED edge lit models have uniformity issues along with inconsistent black levels. Although it does vary from unit to unit. At least in my opinion and experience.


Some folks love the additional frame interpolation provided by the AMP feature which many feel makes the TV look more life like and in some cases I would agree but at other times, read majority, it makes content look artificial and still introduces its own artifacting that negatively impact image quality.


So my vote would be either Samsung 500+ series or Panasonic S+ models.


Good Luck


Best Regards

KvE


PS

LED Backlights currently outperform Edge Light variants. Do not waste your money with Sharp. LG's backlight LED model is actually pretty nice if you want to go cheaper than Samsungs offerings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya /forum/post/16983870


Image retention various from brands and models along with picture settings. I haven't really seen it occur on the 08-09 models for Samsung and Panasonic, even on Torch mode. I know it still happens but in my own experience it has become a non issue, since if it does occur it generally resolves itself quickly.


Personally I've had a Pioneer 111 and the family and I have used it a lot with various material. Even after some prolonged stretches of gaming with no IR what so ever, one of my friends also has the same model and as far I know he hasn't had any issues either.


I've sold TVs for several years and my vote leans towards plasma on the whole with solid brands, especially in a home environment. Samsungs have improved a lot since I started and Panasonics have become the defacto king. Still not as nice as the Kuros but I am looking forward to what next year Panasonic models will provide with great anticipation.


The Samsung LEDs are nice and provide eye scorching levels of light output but they still suffer from the short comings of LCD technology. Plus LED edge lit models have uniformity issues along with inconsistent black levels. Although it does vary from unit to unit. At least in my opinion and experience.


Some folks love the additional frame interpolation provided by the AMP feature which many feel makes the TV look more life like and in some cases I would agree but at other times, read majority, it makes content look artificial and still introduces its own artifacting that negatively impact image quality.


So my vote would be either Samsung 500+ series or Panasonic S+ models.


Good Luck


Best Regards

KvE


PS

LED Backlights currently outperform Edge Light variants. Do not waste your money with Sharp. LG's backlight LED model is actually pretty nice if you want to go cheaper than Samsungs offerings.

Have you experienced the buzzing issue with the Samsung Plasma 500+ series that is reported in the buzz thread?


Seems that there is no resolution to that issue with that series tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya /forum/post/16983870


LED Backlights currently outperform Edge Light variants. Do not waste your money with Sharp. LG's backlight LED model is actually pretty nice if you want to go cheaper than Samsungs offerings.

I was just at Fry's looking at a 42in. LG LED and Sharp 40in. LED side by side and well... to be quite honest the Sharp looked better. The LG was more washed out and with less detail. With that said... It's probably pointless because you don't know how they were setup. Can you go by stats either? probably not... So... how to know what's best then?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top