AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, finally looking to add a sub to my 5.0 system. I live in an apartment so I don't want a huge powerful sub, just something to make movies more fun! The only people that are attached to my apartment are above and below me (elevator and exterior wall on either side), and I won't be blasting anything past 10:30-11pm anyways.

My current setup is this: Onkyo TX-NR509, Sinclair Audio Brighton Series (260T (x2), 25CC, 40B (x2).)

I've tried a couple of subs my friends previously had, specifcally a Vector Bass8, but it didn't seem to make big enough of a difference and I didn't like how it didn't have an LFE port.

Here's a checklist from the sticky:

1. Budget is roughly $200-$250CAD, unless I could get something that will stay with me and sound great when I upgrade my system eventually. Then I'd spend a little more.
2. Size isn't a huge issue, but because I'm in an apartment, something around 15"x15"x15" would be nice, but a little bigger wouldn't break a good deal.
3. My living room is fairly open in the apartment, but the listening area is ~17'x10'.
4. Primary uses: 70% movies/TV, 20% gaming, 10% music.
5. All I'm looking for is to have a dedicated sub for the lower sounds, and something with a little oomph during explosions in movies.
6. No insane appearance requirements, just a little black box is nice.
7. No timeframe, I've ran 5.0 for 3 years!

Extra: I guess LFE would be the way I want to connect to the sub. I know I can buy a Y-split, but LFE seems to be the route that is preferred by most.

I also have access to a private marketplace of a large electronic retailer and they currently have an auction on a Klipsch SW-115. Current bid is $165, and it ends in 2 days. Would this be overkill if I get it for a steal? I've seen RF-82s go for $150/piece so I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed under $300.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think the question you need to ask yourself, living in an apartment, is, "What am I trying to improve about my system?" The specs you listed for your speakers say they go down to 40hz +/- 3dB. That's not very low so a subwoofer could absolutely help you get down lower to pick up frequencies you're missing. I think that's a good thing to think about. On the flip side, what I'll say, is that if that's your goal, you may not personally hear a "big difference" given the goal and the budget you're talking about.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If you can get the Klipsch, do so. Buying anything in the U.S. is expensive because of duties and shipping. And no, it won't be overkill.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks for the ideas everyone. Just one more!

I was recently given a Z906 set from Logitech to use with my computer. Would it be worth trying it out as a sub for my home theater? Not too sure how well that would work considering the quality, and because it has it's own console I'd have to use to control the bass levels.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
No. Keep it where it belongs, connected to your computer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts