AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been driving me nuts!

Built my system 3 months ago. I used the Silverstone LC-19 case, which is basically the slimmest I could find. Used an i3-2100T and ITX board. Even though the 2100T came with a low profile CPU HSF, it wasn't cutting it. My CPU at idle was in the low 50's, and w/o heavy load would often reach past 68 C. As a result, the fan was spinning like crazy, making much too much noise.

I researched a bunch of stuff, bought some arctic paste, played with the BIOS. no luck. In most reviews, people actually liked this HSF which made it even more frustrating since it wasn't working at all for me.

I was trying to find a better HSF (or ideally, just HS) to use. However the LC-19 has such a small profile, I couldn't find anything that fits. So, somewhat reluctantly, i purchased the Silverstone NT07-1156 - thinking it's going to be similar to the stock Intel. I'm extremely happy to report it did the trick! System now idles at 41-43, hasn't passed 52 yet, and is infinitely more quiet than before.

Anyway, just wanted to share since this had been driving me nuts, and I was almost to the point of switching cases. If you've built a slim profile HTPC and need a quieter fan, this one worked great for me.

(P.S. - I am not affiliated at all with SS. Just thought I'd share as fan noise is always a hot issue around here.)

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
I am wondering if you have a seating issue with the intel or maybe a defective unit. No way the Silverstone should make that much of a difference. They are practically the same fan.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assassin - I agree they look very similar. I think the main differences are the copper base on the SS vs. aluminum on the Intel (The SS feels much stronger), and the fan regulator. The intel spins up close to 5k RPM at max? the SS only goes to like 2k. Also after a nights worth of TV watching, the temp did creep up a bit higher than I'd like. But since the fan doesn't spin nearly as fast, it's still better than before. I peaked at 58 C, so nothing to really worry about.

The seating has always been a concern, and in that regard nothing really changed with the SS. In your experience, do you ever get that "snap" feeling, knowing it's solidly in there? For me, I can't get all 4 arms to snap in correctly, turn, and feel good. What ends up happening is two snap in all the way, then I struggle with the other two and end up not feeling satisfied it's truly nestled tight.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymania /forum/post/20816872

Assassin - I agree they look very similar. I think the main differences are the copper base on the SS vs. aluminum on the Intel (The SS feels much stronger), and the fan regulator. The intel spins up close to 5k RPM at max? the SS only goes to like 2k. Also after a nights worth of TV watching, the temp did creep up a bit higher than I'd like. But since the fan doesn't spin nearly as fast, it's still better than before. I peaked at 58 C, so nothing to really worry about.

The seating has always been a concern, and in that regard nothing really changed with the SS. In your experience, do you ever get that "snap" feeling, knowing it's solidly in there? For me, I can't get all 4 arms to snap in correctly, turn, and feel good. What ends up happening is two snap in all the way, then I struggle with the other two and end up not feeling satisfied it's truly nestled tight.

Agree with the snap comment. I usually flip the board over to see if the pegs are extended.

Using the low profile intel cooler on my new habey build. Its pretty quiet as long as I keep the target temp at 58 which keeps the fan speed down.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I used to be into overclocking and there have been reports that how you use the paste can affect up to 10 degrees or more. Also its all about getting contact because of physics heat transfers fastest through physical contact so if its not seated good then it will have a huge impact.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/20817073

I used to be into overclocking and there have been reports that how you use the paste can affect up to 10 degrees or more. Also its all about getting contact because of physics heat transfers fastest through physical contact so if its not seated good then it will have a huge impact.

I think with typical HTPC the paste is less important.

I totally agree with heat transfer though. Its pretty obvious when it isn't seated as you get temps like monkeymania did in his first post. I highly doubt that in a HTPC the copper vs stainless makes a 15 C difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts