AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I can get started on the build although my AE AV15X driver won't be in until sometime next week. The AE PR18-2100 x 2 arrived well packaged and in perfect shape. They weight each around 10-lbs and are close to 7" deep. They will go in a birch ply box about 40" L (including feet) x 20" W x 23.75" D. The PR's and the sub will be flush mounted, which means double sided sides and front. Enclousure will be around 7cf, with a ED LT1300 plate amp (old model) and a ED EQ2. The tuning comes out to 16hz (as I was told) but I will be adding 5-lbs of polifill which should drop the tune even more, maybe around 15hz? I'm looking for very good response in the 15hz-100/120hz range to go in a big room which even with only a little room gain should provide a flat response in the range I'm looking at both for music and HT.

Even though I'm familiar with a sealed sub (I built a TC 3K 15" last year), this is a different build and need some help;

1. When stuffing the box, should I keep the polyfill away from the PR's?

2. I noticed the tubes on the back of the PR's were filled and closed, I had two PR18-1600 built to PR18-2100, is that were they put the extra weight?

3. What size screws the PR's take? I'll like to get maybe some hex-screws to use in both the PR's and sub but don't see them at Home Depo or Lowe's.

4. When cutting the hole for the PR's, should I leave a little more space than the PR's measurements so they fit right (not too tight)?

5. Do I figure out the tuning of the sub by running test tones in 1hz increments?

6. Finally, I'm looking to place 4 full cut out braces ( two of them running vertically and two more running horizontally) for box strenght (inertness). I do realize the vertical braces will have to be cut some 5-6" on each side of the brace where the PR's are at so as not too run into the PR's. I did this set-up with my sealed sub and came away happy, hardly any vibrations to it. What do you guys think? Any opinions/suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The tuning comes out to 16hz (as I was told) but I will be adding 5-lbs of polifill which should drop the tune even more, maybe around 15hz?

1Hz isnt noticeable

Hopefully the pollyfil will serve another purpose?

I hope you have great success since I have the same type of build starting soon.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 /forum/post/16950988

Now I can get started on the build although my AE AV15X driver won't be in until sometime next week. The AE PR18-2100 x 2 arrived well packaged and in perfect shape.

What, no pics?? Didn't happen then.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 /forum/post/16950988

1. When stuffing the box, should I keep the polyfill away from the PR's?

2. I noticed the tubes on the back of the PR's were filled and closed, I had two PR18-1600 built to PR18-2100, is that were they put the extra weight?

3. What size screws the PR's take? I'll like to get maybe some hex-screws to use in both the PR's and sub but don't see them at Home Depo or Lowe's.

4. When cutting the hole for the PR's, should I leave a little more space than the PR's measurements so they fit right (not too tight)?

5. Do I figure out the tuning of the sub by running test tones in 1hz increments?

6. Finally, I'm looking to place 4 full cut out braces ( two of them running vertically and two more running horizontally) for box strenght (inertness). I do realize the vertical braces will have to be cut some 5-6" on each side of the brace where the PR's are at so as not too run into the PR's. I did this set-up with my sealed sub and came away happy, hardly any vibrations to it. What do you guys think? Any opinions/suggestions appreciated.

1. I wouldn't bother with polyfill.

2. Yep.

3. 1/4", but #10 should be plenty. I like the assortment at boltdepot.com; they have nice stainless-steel socket button heads. Also like to use the Hurricane nuts PartsExpress sells, especially in birch ply; they can be a problem in MDF.

4. The spec is 16-11/16", I think, which works, but already leaves a bit (at least 1/16", maybe more) of clearance. So if you can cut accurately, don't oversize. If it's tight, you can always chamfer the edge with router bit or sandpaper. If it's loose, well...

5. Or finer, but if the PR mass is right, and the volume is right, there isn't much of anywhere for the tuning to go. Assuming you don't use the polyfill...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsloms, be patient, the pics will come.

tlag, thanks for your response. I already have the polyfill with me so might as well used it, no? The 16 11/16" measurement is the inner of the PR's, since this will me mounted flush, the outside measurements is 18 3/8" (just measured them today). Today I started the project, got the wood!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started building the box and yesterday I finished cutting all the plywood and was able to use a jigsaw to cut out all the wholes of the PR's and sub, along with the cutting out of all the braces (both vertically and horizontally). Hopefully, in about two more weeks, it should be all done. I'll post pics.

Even though I have the PR's, the AV15X sub, I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Also, one of my PR's fell to the garage floor face down from about 30-36" height. It has no tears or cracks but its suspension is looser than the other one. I put them both on top of a table and noticed that it seemed to be sunked in more, then I pushed the tube area a little and noticed that is looser (not as firm) as the other one. I'm hoping that it won't have to be replaced but I'll contact AE to see what they think. Hopefully, it will work, I don't want any more delays.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the answer to my questions a few hours ago and it seems to be "good" news. AE told me that most likely the suspension got loosen up from the hit with the floor and that I needed to run some low bass for a few minutes to "loosen up or brake in" the the PR's. I will do that and hopefully both PR's will work fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.