AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to start my measurements.....Yep, I build it all first and finish then I measure it

Speakers are 16"x26"x13.5"

Both are using the QSC waveguide (14"x10") and the woofer is the TD12M (12" woofer)

One has the BMS4550 and the other has the Celestion 1425.

Build pics will be posted soon, when I find them. I have lost some pictures

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Boards left to right are 8"x26", 6.5"x26", 6"x26", 6.5"x26",8"x26"

I use a 22.5" joint router bit for the back of the box,this creates 45" angles and nice joints for it all to go together. ( http://www.amazon.com/22-5-Degree-Gl.../dp/B002VI90UK )

I believe the port is 3" x 3"

Dimensions of the speaker 26 H x 16" W x 13.5" D

I added to more braces once I figured out what CD I was using, I put a brace across the width that the CD can sit on.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tape on front, painting with primer.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
painting expirements.

My temp wall to protect against wind and dust

Oil based paint, using rollers.

dry

sanded with 600

after several more coats and sanding (about 5 more times), this is my first buff/polish. All sides are great minus that ghosting on the back

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Painting expirements exhausted. I will be puting a coat of polyurethane on it all anyways so here is box sanded so there is no gloss in the black and the veneer on the front.

Upclose shot of the corner, i had to cut and fold the veneer here. There is a small gap that I have sand over. Its about as good as I could get it.

Another pick off the coner with the front holes now cutout. I can live with that corner.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine modified stand for them, I had 16" stands still in boxes unused so I cut the middle pieces to 5" so I could have a 6" stand.

here they are in room

Here they are with all my other DIY speakers....lol, Im not sure having the other speakers there will be good for measurements.

Im using a taller stand for measuring and you can seen my 5" thick DIY acoustical panels on the floor and behind. They turned out great too!!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reserved #6

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice Penn! Can't wait to hear your impressions!

dbl

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
holy crap penn! very nice work. (that doesn't even begin to describe it.)

are those td12m 'stubbies' an older version?

how did you get the veneer wrapped around the corners to look that nice?

your choice of colors is also awesome...performance meets luxury. i'm calling your speakers m5's. ;-)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice looking. Congratulations. Can't wait to hear your impressions. I find there is a huge amount of technical information around but very little subjective listening descriptions. The difference between the 2 CD's should be very interesting indeed. I wonder how the QSC 12" (celestion) would compare against your TD12's ?

Before I jump into the deep end with something similar I still wonder about 2150 clones 3 way's (Chucky's build) using better drivers? Imagine B&C 15's or even pairs of TD15"s with some sort of upgraded 6.5 mid & BMS 4555 up top. Any thoughts or advice? Again great looking speakers you have there.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.