AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally have some pics of my Dual-Screen setup...

Here's the 2.35 Screen (8.66' Wide / 113" Diag.)

Here's the 16:9 Screen (106" Diag.)

Screens up...

Few Signs... (have more now)

And finally the new Big Boy...

And this is a pic of the old Optoma...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And whats great about this setup is the ability to watch a movie like TDK on my 16:9 with no probs...

And a normal 2.35 also....

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Nice set-up.

2 Q's:

a) do you need to re-focus when switching between screens? Or are they close enough to be in same "focus zone"?

b) I see you have HDMI and component to the PJ, do you ever use the component?

I ran HDMI and component to my PJ 1 year ago, have been using only the HDMI, and while I just hooked up the component last weekend I did that just to "finish the job" - if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yea, i can see the flaw in the dual screen is that you'd have to re-focus the image when u want to watch in dif ratio. The key is that you get those screens as close to each other as posible. I did my dual screen for my basement before, the distance between 2 of my screen is less than 0.5". here is video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkLXHbvnTE

ps: your speakers shouldn't be so close to the side wall, try move it away the wall a bit to see the differences.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex /forum/post/15561554

Nice set-up.

2 Q's:

a) do you need to re-focus when switching between screens? Or are they close enough to be in same "focus zone"?

b) I see you have HDMI and component to the PJ, do you ever use the component?

I ran HDMI and component to my PJ 1 year ago, have been using only the HDMI, and while I just hooked up the component last weekend I did that just to "finish the job" - if you know what I mean.

I'm in the exact postion... I wished when I ran wires I would have ran 2 HDMI's instead of 1 Component & 1 HDMI...

So I did the same thing... just plugged it into 'finish' the look...

I do have nice HDMI switching going on...

Also for the focus thing... my screens are about 1' apart and I do not notice any difference of focus at all...

I am pretty sure that the Panny auto-adjusts focus with the lens shift... everything done with one button press...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblanket /forum/post/15561705

Yea, i can see the flaw in the dual screen is that you'd have to re-focus the image when u want to watch in dif ratio. The key is that you get those screens as close to each other as posible. I did my dual screen for my basement before, the distance between 2 of my screen is less than 0.5". here is video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkLXHbvnTE

ps: your speakers shouldn't be so close to the side wall, try move it away the wall a bit to see the differences.

I know... I wish I could but aesthetically it wouldnt work... I might try to angle out a little more though....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Nice setup! A second screen is a heck of a lot cheaper then most of the lenses out there. I know it has been discussed here before but it is nice to see it actually being used.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup...works for me...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan /forum/post/15562387

That setup would work for me, except I would have to use tensioned screens. Cannot stand the waves....

Well so far I have had the 16:9 screen for about 2 years and its going ok...

And I just got the 2.35...

I do keep them in the case whenever I dont use them... so I think that helps....

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven /forum/post/15565793

The position of your speakers makes me cry.

Neat screen setup though.

I was thinking the same thing. Many rooms can be challenging. I had similar problems (nowhere to put the L&R except next to the walls, hard surfaces, no place to hide the center,...). I ended up going with more directional speakers, rugs , drapes, and panels, etc. Then again, thats to nice a floor you have! BTW, I've been considering the dual screen option as well. I want to add a 10' wide 2.35:1 when I upgrade to a projector with a motorized lens.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments guys...

I really wish my room was more forgiving for speaker placment... but if you can see it kinda has a small area for the screens, then opens up to a larger width...

I did do a audessey setup with my Denon and then did some manual adjustment on top of that ...

To me it sounds ok... but could be better...

BTW Thanks for the aquarium comments... my true hobby just before home theater...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was just thinking about doing this yesterday. Now I'm definately going to!

But my 16:9 screen has waves, pretty annoying, so I'm planning to buy a fixed frame 2.35:1

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its soo worth bro... my girl (biggest hurdle to overcome) loves the CinemaScope...

Also I was able to move up my 16:9 screen closer to my seating area with the new Panny, due to the higher resolution and also the more flexible installation options that a LCD has over a DLP...

Essentially my 2.35 is where the 16:9 was, and the 16:9 is about 1 ft closer to the seats...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This even makes even the older screen seem new...

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
I was going to do the same thing (2.35 fixed mounted to wall with pull down 1.78 in front of it) but the re-size/re-focus issue stopped me . I bet it works great with the Panny 3000 and it's automated zoom/focus however , very cool !

- Jason

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup... Just a one button press and thats it...

I even saved a 16:9 aspect in the 2.35 screen, so I wont have to pull the true 16:9 screen down for menus and if I'm too lazy.. hehe

1 - 20 of 49 Posts