·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When sitting in the front seats, my eyeballs are about 10'3" from the screen.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Looks great, Cameron! It looks like you've paid a lot of attention to acoustics, too. Is that Guilford of Maine on the walls?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark,

Thx. Yeah that is Guilford of Maine fabric with accoustic treatments underneath.

The design is a Dennis Erskine one.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm in the design phase of my theater, and I'm dealing with width issues now. The space I have can be anywhere from 16' to 22' long, but only around 11' wide, preferably 10' (there's a family room on the other side with a pool table, and if I make it 11' wide, the pool table will have to crowd into the seating area).

The big issue as I see it is front speaker placement. I'd like a 96" wide screen in front, but with an 11' wide room, that only leaves 1 ft on each side.

So, it looks like either I get a perforated screen and put the speakers behind it, or I'll have to put the front speakers right against the side walls, toed in to point at the seating area. Is this reasonable? I'm worried about boundary effects and reflections off the walls. Normally, I like to place my front speakers at least a couple of feet from the side walls.

How did you guys solve these problems with relatively narrow rooms?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I do have a microperf screen that takes care of the center channel.

The side speakers are toed in a bit and a bit closer to the walls than I would like, but the accoustic treatments help a lot!

Cameron

------------------

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Dear Cameron,

Very Nice HT Room!

As your photos show, you can always count on Dennis for quality home theater designs.

When you are finished, Stewart would love to feature this room in the "Home Theater Gallery" section of our website.

Please let us know.

Thanks for sharing with the Forum.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,

When finished you can certainly feature it in your gallery!

Cameron

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Very nice Cameron. Thanks for posting this, my HT room is nearly identical in size and layout to yours. In fact my door is in the same place as yours. This helps me to visualize what mine will look like.

-Mark

------------------

Calibrated G11 DILA, 7' 16x9 Greyhawk, Radeon HTPC, Panamorph (soon), DTC-100, AccessDTV, Lexicon MC-1+, B&W Nautilus 804's, HTM1, SCM1s

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cameron:

Great job! The slideout racks are a great idea. Nice construction.

My room width is identical to yours, with a screen width of 104" (16:9). I placed my front L and R speakers at the walls and toed them in. I'm not getting any sound reflection problems at all. For those of you who cannot use a microperf setup or who don't want to pay the extra premium for the material, I don't think it's a problem as long as acoustic treatment of the walls is carefully planned (as pointed out by Cameron).

Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow a 104" wide in the same space. That would be cool!

How far back do you sit?

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Great Job...!!

My current room as pictured in my link below is 13'6" wide by 17'6" wide. Acoustically speaking there are optimum ratios which spread the room modes evenly. Anyway, I do not like perforated screens. I use a Stewart SND 100 inch, 1.85:1, 1.3 gain with a Dwin HD700. When and if I am fortunate enough to build a new contruction room (much larger), I will still always use the same design philosophy of using a non-perf screen in conjunction with speakers such as Aerial 10T, B&W N802, and similarly designed speakers which allow for the midrange and tweeter to be within inches of the image on the screen. Psycho acoustically I find this 100% satifying, while not giving up the disadvantage of acoustically 'transparent' screens. Further, I believe in positioning speakers away from the wall and into the room, according to the rules of acoustics, and where they sound the best. I still stress to use three of the same speakers across the front when possible. I will hang RPG diffusers and whatever it takes to make a room sound optimal.... When the lights go off, the picture is the only thing to see. Black Velor and Black curtains on the ceiling and walls eliminates all reflected light.

What speakers are you using?

------------------
Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

[This message has been edited by Health Nut (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Uh, bummer, your page is unavailable now. It says it exceeded your bandwidth limitations so it will be available again NEXT MONTH!!

Arrgh.. I still haven't seen it Cameron!

-- Cain

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy cow! I just looked at the web page statistics. I was getting 2000 hits per day since I put it up. I will move the pics over to photopoint or something. Mindspring has disabled my webpage until July.

Cain,

I am going to reduce the size of the pics and I will send you some pretty soon.

Cameron

------------------

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.