AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was the big day! A great day for my ears, a VERY sad day for my wallet, but it will be worth it for the years of enjoyment I will be recieving

After countless hours of listening today I went to the Audio Den here on Long Island, NY. I brought my own music, a CD I recently made that had some MP3 songs and music that I listened to. Most of my music is burnt CDs and a bit more bassy than some of the music the store hands had. Its really good I decided to go this route and bring my own CD, since my opinion in the end changed.

I had pretty much set myself on the Marantz 7002 receiver. Its an incredible piece and supports everything I needed/wanted. Plenty of power to go around as well. This piece was a no-brainer since day one for me.

For my fronts I was torn between the B&W 683 and 684 series. The 683 seemed to have less midrange sound than the 684. Today listening to my type of music, and also playing a bit with a subwoofer incorporated into the sound system, I must say the 683s won me over. There low end bass reproduction is better than the 684s, and the midrange began to bleed together on some of the songs I was listening to. So 683s for my fronts will be here early next week.

For my center channel, I chose the HTM62 from B&W. Great sound, fits well into my setup as far as size is concerned, and voice matches my speakers.

The one thing I really changed today was my surround speaker choice. I was going to originally run 4 683s, but I decided against it. THe more I thought about it the more I think just running high quality surround speakers is a better method. After listening to them, I decided to go with the B&W DS7 from the 700 series. Here is a link to them: (CANT POST LINK I'M TO NEW TO THE FORUM
)

It is a dipole design speaker that provides supreem rear fill sound. I auditioned them today and after hearing how wide the sound spectrum was I was sold.

And finally the cherry of my setup (at least to me)... I will also say its way overkill, but I wanted the capability to shake the fillings from my teeth, so I purchased a Definitive Supercube Reference. This bad boy will hopefully be everything I want and more. After hearing the Supercube II today and being fairly satisfied, I figured the reference would be a great way to about my bass reproduction. I also got a pretty damn good deal on it, $1450 :thumbup: .

So thats it for now. I'll have pics and some more posting to be done in the next few days. If anyone has any of these components and/or any tips/comments about setting up please let me know =) I havent placed or brought anything home yet. I am looking for some advice in advance though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course!

I just bought an SPL meter... anyone gimme some tips on what to do with this thing? I have an idea of how to use it, my friend told me basically what to do. But I'm looking for any more setup tips. Is there anything in particular I should do with a subwoofer when setting that an SPL meter can help calibrate? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but its obvious you dropped a good sized wad of cash without having much knowledge about audio or setup. If you are comfortable with the dealer, you should get them to assist you with setting the system up (something any good dealer should do with an investment like that).

Then you can spend time reading here. Pick up the Avia DVD for setup advice and calibration tones/patterns.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know alot about audio, just not a ton about specific calibration when it comes to fine tuning a home audio setup. Speaking about crossver points, frequency response, standing waves, speaker phase, time alignment, etc. terms I understand. I used to compete in car audio competitions so I have a good background in terminology so feel free to speak to me like someone who is going to understand what your going to say.

The dealer I never asked for help because I want to learn and doit on my own. I already have a calibration HD DVD with test tones, a sine sweep, and a pink noise generator. I'm just looking for more ideas on what I should do once I get the equipment home. The dealer I'm SURE will answer any questions I might have as well.

As far as dumping the money I have with not knowing much... I bought what sounded the best to my ears for my budget. In the end I could probably just sit in my room and tweak the settings all day long till it sounded great to me, I mean thats what its about right? Buying the equipment, setting it up for your own personal tastes, and enjoying it.

I appreciate the constructive criticism, but again dont take me for someone who knows NOTHING about audio equipment. I'm just trying to learn as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12997196

Please don't take this the wrong way, but its obvious you dropped a good sized wad of cash without having much knowledge about audio or setup. If you are comfortable with the dealer, you should get them to assist you with setting the system up (something any good dealer should do with an investment like that).

Then you can spend time reading here. Pick up the Avia DVD for setup advice and calibration tones/patterns.

I'm not being snide here, but don't take this the wrong way, either. But, I'm just curious; what about the OP prompted you to state this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts