AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from a local dealer who showed of the SilverStar to me..

Folks, he was showing a DLP with only a 1500 CR and the picture was bright and detailed! incredible.....feel very confident the screen was the major reason for the great colors...

I can't stress how exciting it was to see this screen.. it was bright - but not too bright. lots of detail and no wash-out nor hotspotting.... i

this was like watching a CRT - but only much much bigger...

after this, I could never consider a 1 to 1.5 gain....not a chance.

this all goes to show the old adage - you really can't write/talk about this stuff - you have to see it for yourself...

p.s. as a result of this, I am letting this guy do my entire HT (told him I would even get the PJ I want (Z12k) from him if he could get it to me for a fair price)....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry.. so excited I forgot the details.. it was a 100" 4:3 screen. room was about 18' or so. ceiling mounted.. no ambient light. projector was dreamweaver II. (new to me).. nice PJ - but it lists for the same as the Sharp Z12k and only had 1/3 of the CR...

the screen looked SO incredible with a 1500 CR I can only drool over what it would do to the Z12k in High Contrast mode....

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I'm drooling and my projector only does 750:1

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
I was all set to order when I found out the screens come already made up and shipped in a big box. If it gets damaged in transit, it would just be too much of a hassle to return and get a new one, and I've yet to see any full size screen like this ever make it to final destination without being crushed in as they lay something heavy or press something heavy next to it. Anyone want to answer to that problem? I suspect that's part of why it' s so dang expensive.

Bob

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
It's true it is fully assembled and thus shipped in a large container. Mine arrived in a 2x4 and 3/4" plywood box. The truck could have run over it and it would have been okay! I think it looks amazing as well. I did play with it with the Sharp and thought the end results was one of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jason or anybody. Is it true that the manufacturer is developing a process to manufacturer larger sizes that can be folded or rolled up? Is this the 6 gain screen? How would it look with the G-15 on a large screen like mine of 66"X 116" that is if it could be manufactured in that size?

Larry

·
Registered
883 Posts
hpfish, how are far are you seated from your screen? I have the Benq 8700 and am considering the SS but I sit about 12' from a 96" screen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I like that one line....the CR is "only" 1500 :)

I did alot of reading last night and feel like I learned something from Tryg's commentary and pictures. Tryg...did you ever consider making a DVD "Screens for Dummies"?

Anyway...I need a roll down screen so the SilverStar is out.

MQ

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shipping to CA is under $200, by truck.

My current seating position is about 15 feet from the screen. I plan to have 2 rows, 14ft and 18ft. At first, I thought 110" was too big from 15" out, but now I get used to it, and it is perfect.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mskreis, fwiw I plan on sitting about 13' back with a 103" screen. the dealer setup was about 14' back from a 100" 4:3 screen... looked fine to me.

regarding shipping.. I was suprised that a local dealer could supply this for me...you may want to check around locally to see if anyone carries VuTec. may save some $ if they only charge locally delivery to your house.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I should receive my SS sample this week. I'm quite anxious to see it given all of the praise its received here.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
jkirby,

Your dealer must have had the projector in desktop mode (right side up), and therefore had to tilt it down to get the picture on the screen using keystoning. This probably made the angle of reflection point down to the floor in front of you making the screen more like 1.5-2 to 1 and probably more even looking as the hot spot was pointing to the floor. Just a wild-### guess...

Bob

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
threed123.. nope = it was ceiling mounted.. go figure..

also, can't we always just turn down the brightness on the PJ to whatever level we feel comfortable? maybe I am naive about these DLP (haven't got one yet), but on my CRT I can adjust the brightness from pitch black to wash-out white... if I do see any hotspotting on the silverstar or it just seems "too bright" with a DLP, can't i just turn down the PJ brightness a tad?

Been reading a lot about hotspotting and feel that maybe am missing something?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.