AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's interesting that TI has managed to address the main complaints of DLP (black level/contrast & rainbow) and more in a single news release:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010518/2144.html

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
731 Posts
...looks like we won't be able to buy any products utilizing these chip inprovements until 2002 (I doubt a 4th quarter 2001 will actually yield finished products). Great new, though!! Will the software they're talking about allow easier development of gamma correction and other fine tuning controls?

-Allen B

------------------

The MPAA will not win this one!

Stop DVI/HDCP, PHILA and 5C- hack and mod to your heart's content!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I suspect we'll only see projectors incorporating these new DMD chips sometime next year. But still, these advances could really shake up the CRT market going forward - not just for FP but RPTV too. Things are/will be improving with DLP. Of course they have to increase the resolution of these chips too in order to satiate us FP detail junkies.

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although the article does state that the new DMD chips will allow more brightness and contrast, there are two ways to effectively raise contrast ratios. One by deepening dark areas, and the other by lightening light areas. Putting it another way, what is the effective contrast ratio of an absolute black square (total absence of light) next to a white square lit by a one-lumen bulb from 200 feet away?

One of the problems with my LP350 is that the high brightness of the bulb doesn't really seem to increase contrast ratios, since black levels may be sacrificed in more-or-less even proportion to the brighter light image areas, especially when viewed in a room without much ambient light. I've noticed that the bulb in my projector isn't as bright as when I first got it, and the picture as far as perceived contrast and black levels has never looked better!

Brighter bulbs only have two functions IMO. The first is to increase viewability in higher ambient room light conditions (which is limited since blacks can never be black in these conditions - front projection is still front projection). The second is to produce a really giant picture in a big hall. Although the 12 degree mirror tilt on the new DMDs will be able to accommodate brighter bulbs without sacrificing blacks as it would with the 10 degree tilt, I really don't see a connection between contrast and bulb brightness in the environment FP was made for (darkened viewing condition).

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Is this new 12 degree chip also the "black" chip we hear about in cinema applications?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
These questions would be great over in the Special Guests forum where they currently have the TI DLP marketin manager on line. I'd post some there myself except that I've already asked a couple and don't want to swamp that forum.

Maybe somebody else could post these questions over there?

-phil

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Smith:
Is this new 12 degree chip also the "black" chip we hear about in cinema applications?

i keep hearing about a black chip. why is it called a black chip? what does this mean?

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Supposedly TI has a chip used in digital cinema with a black matrix (others here can probably give the more technical answer) which gives better contrast and blacks for video than the 1 chip DLP's use (which are mainly for business use so more light is the prime concern).

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
855 Posts
The "black chip" has, as Jeff pointed out, a dark layer built into it. The dark layer reduces the refectivity of the underlying pixel structure. This reduces stray light from pixels in the off position which should increase contrast. The layer is the metal three layer in ->these<- photos from the TI site. I heard from one of the TI guys at CES that the "Dark Metal Three" process is being used in the 1280x720 chips too.

------------------

Huck

·
Premium Member
25,551 Posts
"I really don't see a connection between contrast and bulb brightness in the environment FP was made for (darkened viewing condition)."

Right, there isn't any. Brighter bulbs increase the black and brightest levels in proportion, so the contrast ratio is unaffected.

However, the usable contrast ratio can be improved with a brighter projector in a room that can't be fully darkened by using a grey screen to absorb ambient light reflected from the screen, which would otherwise reduce the contrast ratio from what the projector is capable of.

------------------

Noah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.