AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally plugged my PC into the DVi port of my ht1000 and gave it a run with various movies

due to my extreme analness I also made backup of my original dvd's (LOTR and fifth element) and then played the same scenes on my standalone dvd player with the PC playing the verison i ripped on to the hard drive.

well my findings were as follows

Colour : the std colour for DVi seemed alot more saturated than on component

Detail: Although not as big as a improvement as I imagined , there was clearly alot more detail on all shots on the DVi, (eg, skin tone had realistic different shades and tones and features compared to a bland pasty look of component)

all in all a well worth upgrade, although now i have a problem ,

my theater is in the ground floor of my 2 storie home and although i have component , composite and svideo going through my ceiling /walls , i dont have dvi nor do i know how the hell im gonna be able to run a dvi cable to my equipment.

the only possibility would be tyeing a dvi cable to my svideo and pulling the dvi through the same hole but to do this i think the dvi head would be too big

does anyone know if you can buy endless dvi cables which you can then connect the ends to later ?????

if not then unless im prepared to cut out plaster i guess no DVi for me :(

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Nobody makes a headless DVI cable. But, they do make an HDMI-to-DVI cable. You then put an HDMI-to DVI adapter on the HDMI end. That would work. HDMI cables are about the size of you S-vid cable.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hang on buying a bravo wont help me, i need to get the cable to the bravo , thats my problem , my PJ is ceiling mounted and my equipments is on my front wall below my screen.

in regards to the hdmi , will using the HDMI/dvi converter still retain the quality of a straight dvi ? and will it be the DVI or HDMi i mean will it work like normal dvi if i dont have hdmi on my dvd / PJ

also guitarman , how do i get a 1:1 map i didnt seem to be able to do it with my PC ????

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how do i get 1:1 ???

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crumpet
so how do i get 1:1 ???
The Bravo has a utility which allows custom resolutions. You can set it to 1024x768. I believe you can download the utility from the V inc website.

This is the advantage the Bravo has over more consumer oriented players like the Denon or Samsung DVI/HDMI models which only upscale to 720p or 1080i.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpshumway
The Bravo has a utility which allows custom resolutions. You can set it to 1024x768. I believe you can download the utility from the V inc website.

This is the advantage the Bravo has over more consumer oriented players like the Denon or Samsung DVI/HDMI models which only upscale to 720p or 1080i.
Have there ever been any HT1000 pics posted, at the various D1 resolution settings? Such as 720P, 1080i & 1024x768 1:1 over DVI to the HT1000?

I was thinking about trying to shoot some stills of what I am seeing with the 2910.

At some point I would also love to hear how the 2910 compares to the D1 on the HT1000.

The HT1000 scaler does such a great job, I would have thought a 720p or 1080i DVI source would be good enough to get the best possible image.

However, I trust what G-man is saying about the D1 scaling/mapping the image itself to 1024x768, and I'd love to hear more about the visual benefits.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
RJ,

I had(have) the D1 and got the Denon 3910 a few weeks ago. The 3910 picture is better in all regards. I was surprised, as I thought it might be a little better but it was much better and I didn't have a touch of buyer's remorse.

Scott

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottyb
RJ,

I had(have) the D1 and got the Denon 3910 a few weeks ago. The 3910 picture is better in all regards. I was surprised, as I thought it might be a little better but it was much better and I didn't have a touch of buyer's remorse.

Scott
Whew!

Thanks for that Scott, as I can now scratch that nagging concern off my obsessive/compulsive "to do" list.

;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
anybody knows where (or how) to get a 15m (that's about 50', i guess) DVI cable?

I know that theoretically they can only be 10m max but i am surely not the first one with equipment under the screen and a ceiling mounted projector.

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Look at Lindy.com - quality cables at sensible prices. They just released a new SLD DVI cable - super long distance. I have a 10m version, works perfect. Comes in 10, 15, 20, & 25 m lengths.

:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.