AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with DIY off and on now for about 10 years. Just recently I got another projector and decided to try the Sherwin Williams ProClassic posted on ProjectorCentral. My initial impression was that it produced a very nice picture. However it was missing a little "pop".

Out of curiosity I decided to try and blend some ProClassic semi gloss with the satin. In the article it mentions also blending but it was with the Valspar and at 2 to 1. I was curious at what percentage the hotspotting would occur and if small percentages of semigloss would improve the picture.

To make a long story short you can blend these two paints at 4 to 1 and still not get and hotspotting. Anything greater and it starts to show roller marks.

I can definitely say that adding a little semi improves the picture dramatically. This thing glows like my Samsung led computer monitor. The colors are extremely vibrant and the contrast is exceptional. But the most significant improvement is the "pop". Truly amazing. This is the best screen by far that I have every had.

Materials used and cost;

4" foam roller and tray from Homedepot. $8

2 quarts of Sherwin Williams paint $40

1 sheet of white melamine from Homedepot $14.

Best money I have ever spent.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,009 Posts
Sounds good....however it also sounds like it's a smaller sized screen, and perhaps not a really bright PJ?

Many things combine to either make an image look great...or not so much so. Using any degree of Semi-Gloss can spell trouble, usually even Satin or Eggshell can make things get a bit too "shiny".

How's about giving everyone more specific details about the entire set-up.

PJ

PJ positioning (ceiling - Table - wall)

Throw

Screen size

I'm bettin' more than a few would consider such if they can make due with a pure white surface. You might just have hit upon a "Better White Screen".

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20902060

Sounds good....however it also sounds like it's a smaller sized screen, and perhaps not a really bright PJ?

Many things combine to either make an image look great...or not so much so. Using any degree of Semi-Gloss can spell trouble, usually even Satin or Eggshell can make things get a bit too "shiny".

How's about giving everyone more specific details about the entire set-up.

PJ

PJ positioning (ceiling - Table - wall)

Throw

Screen size

I'm bettin' more than a few would consider such if they can make due with a pure white surface. You might just have hit upon a "Better White Screen".

It's a 100 inch screen. I'm sitting 11 feet back. The projector is a 1080 UB and its 5 feet above the floor mounted on a shelf.

I was initially pleased with the satin Sherwin Williams but adding just a little bit of semi gloss really gives it "pop".

I'm thinking about spraying to see if I can get the percentage of semi higher. Any higher than the 4/1 and I can see roller marks. However it is still not hotspotting.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,009 Posts
Any screen with a significant amount of sheen can be considered as being a retro reflective screen. (ie: High Gain) Those screens almost always demand that the PJ be placed exactly where you have yours located. Place yours temporarily on the Floor, or up at 7+ feet and I'm betting that from a sitting position the hot spotting you say doesn't exist will suddenly make it's presence known by showing the center is in fact brighter when viewed from any angle except from straight ahead. However, once you really displace your position, gain starts to drop of significantly because you are no longer within the most desirable viewing cone parameter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.